By definition, accidents are never planned. For example, a planned bicycle ride to Jones Beach for a day of fun in the sun can quickly end with a car collision and a trip to the hospital. On one hand, the innocent victim is grateful to be alive. On the other hand, the broken ribs and fractured wrist suffered will keep the innocent bicyclist out of work for an unknown period of time.
If you are an injured bicyclist, how will you make ends meet when you are not earning paychecks? You may have hospital bills and other medical expenses heaping on top of your regular financial commitments. Even if you could pay for it all, it does not seem fair that you should.
Thankfully the law is on your side. If that driver was at fault for the bicycle accident and your injuries, the law says he should pay for your damages. Contact our personal injury lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at 516-932-0400 and we will make that happen.
- Bicycle Accidents on Long Island Can Be Deadly
- How Bicycle Accidents Happen in Hempstead, NY
- Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
- Damages a Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Help You Recover
- What a Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
- Your Time for Acting on Your Injury Claim is Limited
Bicycle Accidents on Long Island Can Be Deadly
More often than not, a motor vehicle driver will not see a bicyclist until it is too late. On Long Island this terrible lack of awareness has resulted in fatal consequences. Records from the U.S. Department of Transportation indicate that the bicycle crash death rate on Long Island exceeds that of New York City, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
If you have a family member who passed away as the result of a bicycle accident, you can retain our firm to file a wrongful death claim against the party who caused the accident. The Hempstead bicycle accident lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will advise you on this option.
For a free legal consultation with a Bicycle Accident lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-932-0400
How Bicycle Accidents Happen in Hempstead, NY
More often than not, bicycle accidents are caused by motorists’ negligence or lack of regard for the bicyclists with whom they share the road. The fact that cyclists’ vehicles are not motorized does not put them at the mercy of negligent motorists from a legal perspective. Bicyclists have rights too, and motorists must respect those rights or pay for the consequences of their negligence
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hempstead, NY
- Motorist does not yield to the bicyclist, as he/she would to another motorist
- Motorist underestimates the speed of a bicycle and turns in front of the bicyclist
- Motorist turns right on red and fails to check to the right and behind before turning
- Motorist is speeding
- Motorist is driving too fast for the road conditions
- Motorist passes a bicyclist too closely
- Motorist opens a vehicle door into a bicyclist’s path
- Motorist is distracted
- Motorist is drunk
You have rights as someone who uses New York’s roadways, whether as a bicyclist or as a motorist. As the innocent victim of someone else’s negligence, Friedman & Simon L.L.P will fight for your rights. Call 516-932-0400.
Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
A 2012 National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors reported that nearly 30 percent of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.
It should come as no surprise that in a crash between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, the cyclist is more likely to be injured than the motorist.
Common injuries from bicycle accidents include:
- Concussion and other traumatic brain injuries
- Broken clavicles (collarbone)
- Muscle strains
- Road rash
- Dental fractures
- Dislocated joints
- Fractured bones
- Eye trauma
A Hempstead bicycle accident lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you recover the medical expenses you incur from your injuries. Call today for a free consultation.
Damages a Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Help You Recover
As the victim of a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of another party, you are entitled to recover a host of damages—not just medical expenses.
For example, you may be eligible to receive compensation for the following:
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Prescription medications including pain management
- Future medical expenses
- Ambulance transportation
- Emotional suffering
- Other emotional damages
- Repair or replacement of your bicycle, helmet, and accessories
- Replacement of any damaged personal property
- Physical pain damages
- Medical expenses
Let the legal team at Friedman & Simon Injury Lawyers L.L.P. work on your behalf to get you the damage compensation you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What a Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
As the injured victim of a bicycle accident, it is likely that you are in pain, and that you are under tremendous stress. As you focus on healing from your injuries and trying to resume, to any extent possible, your pre-accident life, the demands of a claim for compensation for your bicycle accident injuries can seem overwhelming.
The work of a bicycle accident attorney starts with building a case that sits on a foundation of substantial evidence. This begins long before a case reaches a courtroom. The work we do, subject to the circumstances of the particular case, includes the following:
- We will visit the scene of your accident gathering evidence and documenting what we find.
- We will collect all your medical records.
- We will obtain police reports.
- We will organize all the information related to your wages, what you earned in the past, what you lost, and what you might miss in the future due to your injuries.
- We will communicate with medical experts who will present and document their opinion on the extent of your injuries.
- We will meet with accident reconstruction experts who will piece together how the accident occurred to help us establish liability.
- We will work with vocational specialists who will speak to how your injuries will impact your ability to work, and thereby alter your future earnings potential.
- We will send a demand letter to the at-fault party’s insurance company itemizing your damages and expected compensation.
- We will negotiate with the insurer.
- If the insurer refuses to offer an appropriate settlement, we will file a lawsuit and represent you in court.
Your Time for Acting on Your Injury Claim is Limited
Every state has laws that govern the timeframe in which the victim of a bicycle accident or other personal injury can file a lawsuit to recover damages after the incident. This is called the Statute of Limitations. In addition to these laws, there are other time periods that may apply to your bicycle accident injury case.
For example, in addition to other potential timeliness concerns, an application for No-Fault Benefits must be filed within 30 days of the accident so that rights to medical expense payment and lost earnings reimbursement are protected. If a government employee or agency contributed to the happening of the accident, a Notice of Claim must be filed within 90 days of the accident.
New York is no different. This is why you need to hire a bicycle accident lawyer quickly.
Another reason to move on fast is that the sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner he or she will start building your case with fresh evidence and testimonies from witnesses who still recall the sequence of events that led to your accident or to capture evidence such as surveillance video which may not be preserved for very long. The sooner you contact us the greater our opportunity to build the strongest possible case for you.
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.’s team of Hempstead bicycle accident lawyers today at 516-932-0400.