If you or a loved one suffered an injury or other damages in an accident, you could receive compensation from the party or parties who caused it. New York law allows victims of another’s careless and reckless behavior to hold that party legally responsible for any resulting losses. As a result, you could seek compensation based on your injuries, including financial, emotional, and physical harm.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., represents accident victims in the New York area and fights for the financial recovery they deserve after suffering injuries caused by negligence. A New York personal injury lawyer from our team will bring your claim or lawsuit forward after reviewing the case in a free consultation.
- We Will Review the Case to Determine Your Compensable Damages
- Work With an Experienced Legal Team
- Pay Attention to New York’s Statute of Limitations and How It Affects Your Case
- Our Law Firm Doesn’t Charge Attorney’s Fees Unless We Win
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., to Work with a Personal Injury Lawyer in NYC
We Will Review the Case to Determine Your Compensable Damages
During our initial complimentary consultation, we discuss the incident and injuries, evaluate the strength of the case, and explain how our lawyers handle similar cases and how we would anticipate prosecuting a claim on your behalf. We also answer questions about our services and contingency-fee arrangement. One of the features of our firm that clients tend to find of great importance when it comes to hiring us is that our clients never pay upfront or out-of-pocket fees.
When you choose us to represent you, we begin working on your case right away. First, we will gather evidence to evaluate the damages you experienced and what is potentially compensable. We will then calculate how much financial compensation you qualify to pursue. Because of the unique nature of every case, this first step of a thorough investigation is critically important for us to ultimately determine what an appropriate settlement might look like in your case.
Our Personal Injury Practice Areas
Personal injury law encompasses a wide range of accidental injuries. Yours is a personal injury case if the cause of your accident and resulting injuries was someone else’s negligence.
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we know how hard it can be to recover from the physical and financial aspects of an injury. Our team will fight to recover financial compensation for clients injured in the following ways:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle cases
- Construction accidents, including construction site and construction vehicle cases
- Accidental falls, including slip, trip, and fall cases on residential, commercial, and municipal property
We also represent clients injured due to nursing home abuse and neglect, medical malpractice, and dog bite/dog or attack cases. Our personal injury practice areas cover a wide variety of accidents to ensure we advocate for all injury victims. You can review the cause of your injuries with a member of our experienced and compassionate case review team at no cost and learn more about our commitment to your case.
Damages You Could Recover
No two personal injury cases are identical. Any settlement or compensation award you ultimately win must be based on your economic damages and an appropriate financial value for your noneconomic damages. Depending on what you suffered, you could receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income and benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
This is not an exhaustive list of damages. New York law could entitle you to other losses. These could include additional economic or noneconomic losses. When our team handles a personal injury claim or personal injury lawsuit, we seek the largest payout possible based on our client’s case facts and recoverable damages. We want to ensure they receive the monetary damages they need to pay for their bills to date and cover their future care needs.
Handling a Wrongful Death Claim
If you seek compensation on behalf of a deceased loved one, we offer our wholehearted condolences as well as dedicated legal support. We are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
You could pursue damages specific to their passing in a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. These damages range from funeral expenses to loss of the relationship, depending on the nature of your relationship with the decedent. For example, a spouse could claim loss of consortium, which represents the special types of loss a person experiences when a husband or wife is a wrongful death victim.
A child could claim loss of parental guidance and affection. We are thoroughly familiar with every form of compensable damage, and our personal injury team has the resources to build the most compelling case possible.
We Will Identify the At-Fault Party
In some personal injury cases, identifying the at-fault party is relatively simple. If you were injured in a car accident, it might be easy to identify the at-fault driver or the owner of the at-fault car and their insurance company.
In other cases, doing so is more complicated. Without experienced legal representation, many injured claimants or surviving family members of wrongful death victims would not know who to pursue for injuries and other damages caused by an accident involving multiple cars or a medical malpractice case. When you trust your personal injury case to our law firm, we will collect evidence to determine the person or entity who is financially liable for your injuries.
The steps we take may include:
- Visiting the scene of the accident
- Canvassing the area for witnesses
- Canvassing for security and surveillance video
- Reviewing and analyzing your accident or incident report
- Reviewing your accident or incident report
- Calling in subject matter experts, including medical experts, vocational rehabilitation specialists, life care planners and economists for their opinions
- Gathering documentation of damages
You are never alone when our client-focused team is on your side. We are passionate about fighting for the compensation you deserve and will stop at nothing in our determination to recover damages for you.
Work With an Experienced Legal Team
When you decide to work with a personal injury lawyer from our law firm, you’ll have the benefit of our team of legal professionals working for you as well. Based on Long Island, we work together to build solid and comprehensive cases for our clients. It takes a team effort to navigate the claims process or litigate effectively, even if you never step foot in court. So, to give an idea, here are just a few of the services we offer to our clients:
- Updates on the case: We will inform you when any significant updates occur throughout your legal journey, such as when the court schedules a hearing date or if the insurance company sends a settlement offer. We make ourselves available to take your calls, texts, or emails and address any concerns you have at any time during this process.
- Private investigation into your injury: Depending on how you were injured, whether you were injured immediately after an accident or discovered the injury later, you might not have all the information necessary to start building a case. Our legal team will investigate to identify liable parties and what caused your injury. We use this evidence to build a compelling argument for a fair payout.
- Communication services: It is common for insurance companies or opposing attorneys to reach out to the plaintiff for statements, putting them in a vulnerable position. Instead, refer these and other interested parties to us, and we will handle these matters for you to protect your right to seek appropriate compensation based on the facts of your case, as well as ensure you avoid the stress of communicating directly with trained, adversarial parties.
- Evidence retrieval: As we investigate the case, we look for every item of relevant evidence that supports your claim. This evidence could involve contacting witnesses for testimony, subpoenaing records or video footage from companies or private residences, and consulting expert witnesses for analysis.
- Damage assessment: As mentioned, we calculate an approximate value of your damages based on the evidence we have. This calculation ensures you know the appropriate value of your claim and informs you when to settle with the insurer during negotiations.
- Legal representation: One of our personal injury lawyers will represent you throughout the case, whether in negotiations, mediation meetings, or a trial. We will be by your side every step of the way, from beginning to end.
Our Case Results Show How Hard We Work for Our Clients
Since 1991, our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., has ensured injury victims of all kinds hold negligent parties accountable. Our attorneys have won millions for our clients, and we aim to keep fighting for appropriate compensation for each client we take on.
Some of our case results include the following:
- We won $10,306,000 for our client, a 49-year-old man, for his subway accident-related injuries, including multiple fractures and a leg amputation.
- We won $9,876,000 for our client, an injured construction worker, after he fell off a ladder and suffered multiple injuries to his back, shoulder, and ankle.
- We won $4,100,000 for our client, a preschool care center worker, after she suffered a spinal cord injury in a car accident. She was a passenger in this single-vehicle accident.
Every personal injury case is different. When calculating your damages, we will aim for compensation that addresses your current and future circumstances. We tailor the work we do and the results we fight for to your unique, individual circumstances. We are dedicated to handling each client’s claim and seeking the best possible outcome for them based on the facts of their case.
Pay Attention to New York’s Statute of Limitations and How It Affects Your Case
Many injured clients are best served by going forward with an insurance claim to settle their case. This method is the most common way we secure a financial award for our clients. As a result, we frequently negotiate an appropriate settlement, and we avoid filing a lawsuit or going to trial.
Still, your case may be one where you are best served by having us file a lawsuit on your behalf. This is frequently the case if the other party’s insurance company does not agree to appropriate settlement terms. We will advise you whether this is a good option in your case and if we believe we need to move forward with legal action because negotiations alone are not working to deliver the results we believe you deserve and are entitled to recover.
Another factor in deciding whether to file a lawsuit is whether we’re nearing the expiration of the statute of limitations. We’ll keep track of the case’s filing deadline set by one of New York’s statutes of limitations, which varies by case type. We know this is crucial for protecting our clients’ rights, so we take it very seriously.
You’ll find general filing deadlines in:
- New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CPLR ) § 214 for most personal injury cases, excluding cases where you name a municipality as the liable party
- CPLR § 214-A for medical malpractice cases
- Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) § 5-4.1 for wrongful death cases
While it is essential for us to file a lawsuit before the applicable statute of limitations expires, there are also several other considerations. We need to act quickly to identify witnesses and gather statements and determine if there was any surveillance video of the incident. Sometimes, the liable party has a lot of the key evidence, and we need to preserve it by issuing a spoliation letter.
We encourage injury victims to reach out to us as soon as their health allows. The sooner you contact us and let us go to work on your case, the greater chance we have to recover important evidence to support your financial recovery.
Our Law Firm Doesn’t Charge Attorney’s Fees Unless We Win
Our legal team charges a contingency fee, meaning our attorneys do not charge hourly rates for their services. Instead, our legal services are paid through a percentage of your compensation award, which we will discuss during your first consultation with us.
Working on a contingency fee basis allows clients like you to afford our services regardless of your current financial state. We understand that you want to pursue litigation because accident-related injuries brought several financial setbacks. As such, we agree to:
- Only charge our attorney’s fees if we win your case
- Explain all our legal fees before we begin working on the case so there are no surprise fees
- Take our fee out of your compensation award, not your pocket
Along with our free case reviews, we serve personal injury accident victims by working based on a contingency fee. We understand that victims might otherwise be unable to recover appropriate compensation. Thus, we want you to feel confident about your claim and potential financial recovery, and we believe our representation will provide that.
What Happens During Your Free Consultation
Choosing a law firm to advocate for you is a difficult decision. To ensure you know how hard our law firm will fight for you — and to give us a chance to learn about your case — we offer a free review for every client.
During your review, we will:
- Listen to your version of events with kindness and compassion
- Ask for specific details about the accident and its aftermath
- Ask about your injuries and any medical care you received
- Request copies of any documents or evidence already in your possession
- Explain the merits of your case and our case-building process
- Answer any questions and address any concerns you might have
Your case review is more than a chance for us to learn about you and your case. It is also an opportunity for you to learn more about our team. You can ask questions about the history of our law firm, our recent client awards, our contingency fee structure, and our strategy development.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., to Work with a Personal Injury Lawyer in NYC
If you were a victim of a preventable accident in New York, be it in the greater metropolitan area or on Long Island, reach out to Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., to represent you in the case. A personal injury lawyer from our team will fight for your right to receive compensation for your injuries. Call us or complete a free case evaluation form for your complimentary case review.