If you sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident on Long Island, you have the legal right to pursue compensation when someone else is to blame. The Long Island motorcycle accident lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. want to help you pursue the financial compensation you deserve.
We offer a complimentary legal consultation to motorcyclists injured in car accidents, along with other compassionate, client-centric services. Call today for a free case evaluation.
In This Article
- How a Long Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You
- Why Choose Our Law Firm
- Taking Action Before the Statute of Limitations Expires
- Types of Long Island Motorcycle Accident Cases We Handle
- Motorcycle Safety Is Everyone’s Responsibility
- Consult with Us for Free about Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer on Long Island
How a Long Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You
The benefits of working with a motorcycle accident attorney at our firm are many. Our services include:
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Motorcycle Accident
As the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS) outlines, New York law excludes motorcycle riders from coverage under the state’s no-fault insurance laws. Instead, motorcycle operators and passengers can pursue a liability claim or legal action if another party caused their accident.
A motorcycle accident attorney from our firm will help you navigate motorcycle laws, insurance claims, and the legal process on Long Island.
Updating You Throughout the Claims and Litigation Process
While our team will take the legal responsibility off your shoulders, we never want you to feel lost or confused about the status of your case. We will keep you informed as developments occur so that you can be confident when making important decisions regarding your financial recovery when the time comes.
Establishing Liability for Your Injuries
Our team will use evidence from an investigation to identify who caused your collision and establish their liability in your case. Securing a settlement after a motorcycle accident requires that we prove fault and liability. Proving these elements requires we present evidence of the following:
- Duty of care – the defendant had an obligation to act in a safe and reasonable manner so as not to put others at risk of harm.
- Breach of duty – the defendant did not act in a reasonable and safe manner (e.g., the defendant was negligent by speeding, texting and driving, failing to check for motorcyclists when changing lanes, etc.).
- Causation – the defendant’s breach of duty led to your accident, and you sustained serious injuries as a result.
- Damages – you suffered damages, including financial, physical, and emotional losses caused by the motorcycle accident.
Speaking with All Other Parties on Your Behalf
Anything you say to the other party’s insurers or legal representatives after a motorcycle accident could get misinterpreted or intentionally distorted and used to reduce or deny your financial recovery. To protect your case, a lawyer from our firm will take over all communications, including negotiations and court appearances.
Fighting for an Appropriate Payout
Insurance companies are almost always reluctant to pay injury victims. However, when presented with a strong case by a firm they know will be prepared to present a compelling argument to a judge and jury, they often agree to settle things out of court. This is less expensive and time-consuming, and it gives you the chance to get the money you need faster. We will take advantage of this opportunity by:
- Arranging a time to meet with the insurance company’s representatives
- Convincingly presenting the evidence we have collected that proves your case
- Responding to settlement offers and presenting counteroffers
- Letting you know when an offer has been made and if we think it is in your interest to accept it
That said, it is important to acknowledge the possibility, however slim, that we will have to take your case to court. If this occurs, we will again take on all of the hard work on your behalf. This includes:
- Scheduling court dates
- Selecting members of the jury
- Submitting evidence to the court
- Examining and cross-examining witnesses on the stand
- Raising objections as necessary
- Persuasively arguing your case so the jury understands how much you need and deserve damages from the liable party
Compiling Evidence to Build a Solid Claim or Lawsuit
We will build a well-supported case to prove negligence, liability, and the damages you suffered. Some of the evidence to establish liability and the value of your damages may include:
- An accident report
- Photographs or video surveillance
- Medical records
- Wage records
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert opinion and testimony (e.g., medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists, engineers, economists, vocational specialists, life care planners, etc.)
Determining the Value of Your Long Island Motorcycle Accident Case
Determining the value of your case requires us to identify all the types of damages associated with your injuries. These may include:
- Medical care and treatment
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Assistive devices and home or vehicle modifications
- Lost income and benefits
- Projected future lost wages and benefits
- Motorcycle repair expenses
- Other out-of-pocket costs
In addition to the damages listed above, you could also have the right to pursue compensation for non-economic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
If your loved one died in a motorcycle accident on Long Island, we extend to you our heartfelt condolences. We will pursue a wrongful death action against the party responsible for their fatal injuries. You do not have to fight to hold them accountable for this tragedy on your own. We will address every legal detail while you grieve your loss and heal from this tragedy. Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today for a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
Why Choose Our Law Firm
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we place accessibility and client comfort at the top of our priority list. When you seek legal support from our firm, you will never have to worry about:
- Consultation fees: Our initial case assessment is always free of charge.
- Language barriers: We employ a multilingual staff and offer assistance in Greek, Bengali, Spanish, Kannada, and Tamil.
- Travel limitations: If you can’t make it into our office, our team will bring the meeting to you, whether somewhere else on Long Island or in the metro New York area.
- Adding to your financial burden: Our services cost nothing unless we deliver you a settlement or verdict, and we take our attorney’s fee as a percentage of this rather than out of your pocket. You will never pay us a fee unless and until we win a money recovery for you.
We hope that taking this approach empowers you to seek legal help as you go after compensation from the party who caused you harm.
Previous Clients Praise Our Compassionate, Comprehensive Legal Services
Our injury lawyers have recovered millions in damages for motorcycle accident victims over the years. Our high rate of customer satisfaction is evident in the Google reviews from past clients:
- “I wasn’t referred by anyone to this firm. I searched the web and read the reviews so I chose to make an appointment. I will say from day one it has been an amazing experience.” – William Whitaker
- “Highly recommended! So professional! By the end of my whole experience, I felt as if they all are old friends. The receptionist is absolutely wonderful. Handled my case with compassion, care, and understanding. Eddie went above and beyond. From the bottom of my heart, I couldn’t be happier with all of their advice and guidance.” – Christina
Long Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Taking Action Before the Statute of Limitations Expires
New York’s statute of limitations limits your opportunity to pursue legal action for motorcycle accident injuries for personal injury cases. This law is laid out under New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214. When seeking damages for wrongful death, Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1 applies. Other deadlines are applicable to claims and litigated cases as well.
The sooner you contact us, the sooner we will get to work collecting evidence, filing the necessary legal paperwork, and fighting for the compensation you need to get treatment and pay your bills. Once the filing deadline in your case passes, you lose the right to move forward with a lawsuit.
Click to contact our Long Island Personal Injury Lawyers today
Types of Long Island Motorcycle Accident Cases We Handle
Injured motorcyclists may take legal action against the driver or other party who caused their accident. Some of the causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to yield
- Illegal lane changes
- Illegal turns
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Poorly marked roadways
- Road hazards
Most of these actions are the fault of a negligent driver. While many lawsuits target a driver, some do involve other at-fault parties, such as:
- Road maintenance contractors: It is a contractor’s job to fulfill their duties and fix all roadway issues consistent with the applicable standards. If they do not, they could be liable for your damages.
- Car mechanics: You and the other drivers rely on mechanics to keep your vehicles in safe, working order. Their failure to do so, if it contributed to the cause of an accident that in turn caused injuries, may be grounds for a lawsuit.
- A city or municipality: The local government is responsible for keeping roadways safe and secure. We will determine which entity holds jurisdiction over the road where your accident occurred and if roadway safety was a significant factor in causing the accident. , we will hold them accountable.
- A manufacturer: Did your motorcycle or the other driver’s car malfunction before or during the crash? The company that manufactured a faulty vehicle may be partly or wholly responsible for the accident.
In some cases, there may even be more than one liable party that you should sue. While this could increase the amount you recover in damages, it will also increase the complexity and, possibly, the length of your case. A motorcycle accident attorney would be more important than ever in such a situation.
The personal injury attorneys at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you if you were hurt in a motorcycle accident and someone else is responsible. We have the resources necessary to fight for the best outcome so you get the compensation you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Motorcycle Safety Is Everyone’s Responsibility
As a motorcyclist, you understand the importance of being proactive about protecting yourself and others while on the road. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcycle safety tips include the following:
- Obtain a motorcycle license and renew it as necessary
- Check your motorcycle for safety issues before every ride
- Follow all laws at all times
- Wear a helmet and other protective clothing
Your actions, however, are only half of the equation. If you behaved in a safe, cautious manner and were injured by someone who did not respect your rights, consider taking legal action. This will get you the money you need to rebuild your life and protect your community from unsafe drivers.
Consult with Us for Free about Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer on Long Island
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we understand the serious nature of motorcycle accidents and injuries, and we know how important it is to obtain the financial compensation you need.
You do not have to face this challenge alone. Our legal team will take the time to answer your questions and help you take legal action. Call us today for legal help from a Long Island motorcycle accident lawyer.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form