If you have suffered injuries while working in construction, you deserve compensation. Similarly, if you are reading this article because a loved one has been injured while working in construction, they too deserve to be compensated. Our legal team offers free case assessments and other benefits to those looking for a construction accident lawyer on Long Island. We will handle your case while you recover from your injuries or grieve your loved one–you do not need to handle this alone. As you seek compensation and justice, we will be with you every step of the way.
A Long Island personal injury lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will investigate your case, determine liability, and file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.
- Types of Recoverable Damages After a Long Island Construction Accident
- How One of Our Attorneys Will Be Your Construction Accident Case Advocate on Long Island
- Who Is Liable for Compensating You After a Long Island Construction Accident?
- About Our Long Island Construction Accident Attorneys
- You Have a Limited Time to File Your Long Island Construction Accident Lawsuit
- Steps to Take When You Suffer a Workplace Construction Injury
- Challenges Victims Often Encounter in Their Construction Accident Cases
- We Accept All Types of Long Island Construction Injury Cases
- Our Long Island Construction Accident Lawyer Works on a Contingency-Fee Basis
- Start With a Free Consultation With Our Construction Accident Team on Long Island Today
Types of Recoverable Damages After a Long Island Construction Accident
Construction industry jobs come with great risks. If you were injured in a construction accident and want to hold a third party responsible, New York law permits recovery for the following types of damages:
Economic damages are expenses and losses with a specific dollar value. They often include:
- Medical treatment bills for emergency services, hospitalization, surgery, and/or other medical costs related to your injury
- Income you lost during your recovery period
- Lost earning capacity
- Accident-related expenses
- The costs of assistive medical equipment and/or accommodations such as modifications to your home
Some of these could be one-time expenses, while others could be ongoing or even lifelong. Our team will consider this when calculating your case value.
Non-economic damages do not have a specific dollar value―we must assign a monetary value to them instead. Some common types of non-economic damages you could recover include:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
We will gather evidence to prove you deserve compensation for your non-economic losses.
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one passed away in a construction accident on Long Island, please accept our heartfelt condolences. We consider it an honor to represent the surviving family members of construction accident wrongful death victims. You deserve the chance to properly grieve, and giving you the undisturbed peace to do so is a major goal of our firm when we have the privilege to handle your case on your behalf. We are determined to pursue the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
You could be eligible to file a wrongful death action to recover different types of compensation. Your recoverable damages could include:
- Medical bills from the treatment of your loved one’s injuries
- Lost financial support
- Loss of support and services from your loved one
- Funeral and burial or cremation costs
No amount of money will heal the pain your family has experienced after your loss. However, a settlement or court verdict could relieve your financial burdens and give you a sense of justice.
For a free legal consultation with a Construction Accident lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
How One of Our Attorneys Will Be Your Construction Accident Case Advocate on Long Island
We want your physical and emotional recovery to be your priority. That is why we’ll make your legal case our priority. Once you enlist the guidance of one of our personal injury attorneys, we will:
Keep You Updated on Your Case
Our team will keep you up to date on the progress of your case. We will return your calls, emails, or texts promptly to answer any questions you have and to ensure you feel confident in your legal standing.
Identify Liable Parties
Depending on the details of your case, there could be several parties who are liable for your physical and emotional damages. We will review the details of your case and determine who to file a claim or lawsuit against. The possibilities include:
- The owner of the property
- A contractor or subcontractor
- An equipment manufacturer
- A driver who was working on or passing through the site
Communicate With All Parties for You
Our team will handle all communications with the other parties, their insurance companies, and their attorneys. Doing so will help us protect your case from speculation and claims that you were at fault for the incident. You focus on getting better while we manage the legal process.
Collect Strong Evidence for Your Case
Holding the liable party or parties responsible for your injuries will require collecting evidence, which comes in many forms. For example, we will look for physical evidence, such as:
- Photos of your injuries and the accident scene
- Records maintained by the relevant parties
- Contracts between the parties
- Surveillance video
- Medical records
Testimony is another valuable form of evidence. We collect statements from eyewitnesses and work with industry experts who give insight into safety procedures on construction sites and the financial impact of construction incidents.
Determine a Value for Your Case
We will calculate your case’s worth and then fight to recover that amount for you. This process will involve:
- Adding up your bills and invoices related to the incident
- Identifying and assigning values to your non-economic damages
- Negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company or filing a lawsuit for an appropriate court award
Filing a Lawsuit and Representing You in Court
Should it become necessary, we will file a lawsuit and present your case to a jury to seek the compensation you deserve. This includes representing you in a trial, in depositions and in other types of hearings and procedings. Most personal injury cases settle out of court because juries are generally unpredictable, but also because insurance companies risk having to make a larger payout by waiting for a jury verdict.
Settling out of court is a viable option if you would prefer to avoid taking your case to trial. Your case could take years to resolve, especially if you go to court, so it’s important to consider your options carefully.
Long Island Construction Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Who Is Liable for Compensating You After a Long Island Construction Accident?
If you suffered an injury on or near a construction site, you have the right to hold whoever caused the accident financially accountable. Multiple parties could be responsible for your damages, and this is true even if you were only passing by the area when the injury happened.
In New York State, in almost all cases, you cannot sue your employer for an injury caused by their negligence. Instead, for example, if an injury occurred while you were working on a construction site, you would typically pursue a workers’ compensation claim.
You have the option to file a liability claim or lawsuit when a third party is to blame for your injuries. If you are an injured worker, you could file a third-party claim or suit in addition to seeking workers’ compensation benefits. Our team of construction accident lawyers understands the nuances of Long Island construction accident claims and lawsuits and has extensive experience in prosecuting them for our injured clients.
About Our Long Island Construction Accident Attorneys
So far, our personal injury attorneys have collected more than $250 million for accident victims on Long Island, New York. Many of these people were victims of construction accidents, car accidents, and other kinds of accidents that left them with debilitating injuries and piling medical bills. However, our attorneys were able to recover the compensation they needed to cover these bills, recover from their injuries, and go back to their lives again.
Our team’s success has been recognized by Avvo, a renowned organization that provides lawyer and law firm referrals and reviews. Avvo awarded partner Roger L. Simon their Clients’ Choice badge and a 10.0 rating. Roger’s drive for excellence sets the tone for every member of our team of legal professionals.
Our mission is to seek the best possible result for you while providing you with responsive service. We’re proud to have become one of the top injury firms in New York, and we’re confident in our ability to serve you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Have a Limited Time to File Your Long Island Construction Accident Lawsuit
Under the statute of limitations, New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214, you have a limited amount of time to sue after a construction accident. If you fail to file a lawsuit before the deadline expires, you will be unable to recover any of the compensation you deserve whatsoever. The amount of time to act is even more limited in some cases, such as those involving wrongful death or government entities.
Act quickly and protect your right to compensation. Reaching out to us right away will help us meet any deadline for your case and give us as much time as possible to put your case together. The sooner you reach out to us, the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
Steps to Take When You Suffer a Workplace Construction Injury
If your construction injury occurred while you were on the job, there are specific steps you should take to seek financial and physical recovery:
- Inform your employer and file a workers’ compensation claim. If your employer has insurance, file a claim to request medical and income benefits. Note that the claim will be subject to reporting and filing deadlines.
- Seek medical attention. Doing so fulfills the workers’ compensation requirements and creates a record of your injuries that could support a third-party case. We urge you to seek medical care immediately, especially since some symptoms of severe injuries, such as spinal cord and head injuries, often take time to present.
- Consider whether a third party played a role in your injuries. If so, we will build a case to hold them liable. We invite you to speak with us about the facts of your accident. We are experienced in analysing complex accident causation scenarios and we are eager to unravel this for you and present you with your legal options for recovery.
Challenges Victims Often Encounter in Their Construction Accident Cases
Your construction site accident might have been especially serious. If so, you could have a severe injury that will affect you for the rest of your life. It might be difficult for you to determine which damages to claim in your legal action and how to evaluate those damages. A lawyer from our firm will do these things for you.
Another challenge you might encounter is finding there are multiple parties involved in your case and struggling to hold them accountable. It might be that your employer and a third party share the blame for your accident. In such a case, a lawyer from our firm will identify each party, distribute blame between them, and negotiate with their insurers for you.
Notwithstanding the limitations on lawsuits versus a negligent employer under the workers’ compensation law discussed above, we will fight for the money you deserve, seeking to obtain a monetary contribution to a settlement or verdict from every potentially liable party.
Additional challenges you could encounter in your case include your employer trying to discourage you from filing a worker’s compensation claim, or your employer’s insurer trying to deny your claim. However, one of our firm’s attorneys will protect your right to file a claim. If the insurer has already denied your claim, your lawyer could dispute and reverse the decision.
We Accept All Types of Long Island Construction Injury Cases
Our team has taken on a wide array of construction accident cases. Explore some of our past results below:
- $9,876,000 for a client who fell from a ladder
- $3,900,000 for another client who fell from a ladder
- $2,600,000 for a client who fell from scaffolding
- $990,000 for a client who slipped on an apple peel at a construction site
We are prepared to handle many other types of accident cases as well, such as ones involving:
- Crane or lift injuries
- Injuries from falling tools or debris
- Accidents involving flammable or explosive materials
- Electrical shock or electrocutions
- Unsafe work conditions
- Injuries from toxic substances
- Injuries from defective or dangerous tools
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Building collapses
Our law firm has won multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for victims like you. Our case results speak for themselves, but a variety of factors will determine the value of your case, which we will calculate for you.
Our Long Island Construction Accident Lawyer Works on a Contingency-Fee Basis
It is often difficult for construction workers and their families to afford the treatments and therapies they will need after a catastrophic injury. Medical bills, physical therapy costs, and related expenses add up, making it difficult to afford an attorney. For this reason, our attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis.
You won’t pay us anything upfront, or at all, until your attorney recovers compensation for you. You’ll pay your attorney a portion of this recovered compensation. This arrangement makes hiring our firm affordable for you, as you will never have an out-of-pocket fee or expense when you work with our firm.
Start With a Free Consultation With Our Construction Accident Team on Long Island Today
If you were in a construction accident and need to collect compensation for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and more, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today. We are ready to begin your complimentary case review, and our firm charges nothing upfront to represent you. You pay only when we win your personal injury claim for you.
Our team will meet you anywhere on Long Island or elsewhere in metropolitan New York. We are proud to employ a multilingual staff that offers assistance in English, Spanish, Bengali, Tamil, Greek, and Kannada. Call us for your free case review today.