Slip and fall accidents result in a variety of injuries, including those that are long-term or permanent, require extensive medical treatment, and prevent you from returning to work. If another party is liable for your slip and fall accident, you have the right to pursue financial compensation. We will handle every aspect of your claim or lawsuit so you can focus all your energy on healing for your injury.
A Long Island personal injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. knows what it takes to hold a negligent property owner or occupier liable when you fall on their premises due to an unaddressed hazard. Count on us for a complimentary consultation and case evaluation, as well as other client-friendly and effective services.
- Let Our Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Help You
- Calculating Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Injury Damages
- Types of Cases Our Long Island Trip and Fall Lawyers Handle
- Types of Injuries Resulting From Slip and Fall Accidents on Long Island
- Deadline to File a Long Island Lawsuit for Slip and Fall Injuries
- What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident on Long Island
- Call for a No-Cost Consultation and Discuss Hiring a Lawyer From Our Firm
Let Our Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Help You
We provide compassionate legal representation on Long Island and throughout metropolitan New York so victims of negligence have time to focus on healing. Our services are available for no upfront fees, and you owe nothing unless we win, so we always give your case the attention it deserves.
Our team offers assistance in English, Spanish, Bengali, Tamil, Greek, and Kannada. If you hire us to represent you, we will:
Provide Proactive Communication
We keep you regularly apprised of your case status. If you have any questions, feel free to call, text, or email us. Our legal team is always available to assist you and answer your questions. We are ever mindful that all the decisions in your case are up to you, as our team makes sure you are fully informed on all the available options.
There is no need to worry if you are unsure of who is liable in your case. Through our investigation, we will identify the owner of the premises or another party who is legally responsible for maintaining the property where you fell. Liable parties could include:
- A homeowner
- A business owner
- A landlord
- A municipality or other governmental agency
- A public utility or public authority that created a fall hazard on public or private property that is not theirs
Represent You in All Meetings and Discussions Regarding Your Case
From the moment you decide to have us advocate on your behalf, our team will take over communications with all parties involved. If the other party’s insurer or representative contacts you for information, we encourage you to direct them to us. Our attorneys protect you from providing any statements that could interfere with your eligibility for damages, as well as from the stress of dealing with adversarial parties that can be either hostile or “wolves in sheep’s clothing,” but in any event, have the goal of seeing you recover nothing or as little as possible.
Build a Strong Case for You Based on the Evidence We Collect
Our firm will put the whole of its resources to work for you. We investigate your accident, determine who was at fault, and identify the liable parties. Throughout this process, we will collect evidence to support your case, including:
- Accident scene photos
- Surveillance video
- Accident report
- Witness statements
- Safety records
We often call on experts (e.g., doctors, vocational specialists, engineers) to provide their opinions or testimony in support of your case. For example, a medical expert could testify about the prognosis of your injuries, while a vocational specialist might testify about your capacity to work.
Determine How Much and What Kind of Damages You Qualify to Seek
Calculating the damages you qualify to recover is not always straightforward. Some come with a financial value automatically attached (e.g., medical bills). However, others require us to assign a monetary value to them (e.g., pain and suffering).
Our priority when we represent you is to ensure we account for all your losses and expenses so you don’t miss out on any recoverable compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
Calculating Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Injury Damages
Damages in a premises liability case come in several categories, often beginning with medical bills. You could qualify to recover compensation for the following types of financial damages related to medical care:
- Emergency room treatment
- Ambulance transport
- Physician and surgeon consultations
- Hospital stays
- Medical tests
- Physical therapy
- Assistive devices
- Accessibility modifications to your home
If your injuries require future or ongoing treatment, we often consult medical experts, vocational rehabilitation specialists, life care planners, and economists to project the future cost of your care.
If you are mourning the loss of a loved one who succumbed to injuries suffered in a Long Island slip and fall accident, we offer you our heartfelt condolences along with our commitment to winning the compensation you deserve. With respect to economic damages, please note that any medical debt still owed after a loved one passed from their injuries is also often recoverable.
Other Economic Damages
In addition to compensation for medical costs, you could also have the right to pursue compensation for other types of economic damages, including:
- Lost wages and benefits to date
- Projected future loss of income and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Other out-of-pocket costs
In a wrongful death case, expenses for funeral and burial or cremation services fall into this category.
Compensation for Intangible Losses
You also have the right to pursue compensation for non-economic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Impaired quality of life
A Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., slip-and-fall injury accident lawyer will fight for the compensation you deserve based on the facts of your case.
Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Types of Cases Our Long Island Trip and Fall Lawyers Handle
A slip or trip and fall could occur anywhere, but businesses are common locations in these cases. Some factors and scenarios that frequently cause slip and fall accidents include:
- Missing handrails on stairways and inclines
- Unmarked curbs and steps
- Freshly mopped or otherwise wet floors from spills or leaks
- Cracked and uneven sidewalks
- Inadequate indoor or outdoor lighting
- Snow and ice accumulation
- Torn floor mats and rugs
- Chronic leak conditions, whether from plumbing or the elements
- Unsecured electrical cords and cables
- Building code violations
- Safety code violations
Property owners must keep their properties in a reasonably safe condition. When necessary, they must warn visitors of and resolve dangers promptly. If the property owner knew or should have known of a hazard and failed to give you an adequate warning or correct it, they might be liable if it caused your injury.
Types of Injuries Resulting From Slip and Fall Accidents on Long Island
Slip and fall accidents cause a variety of severe injuries depending on the circumstances of the incident, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones of the hands, feet, shoulders, arms and legs
- Spinal injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Hip fractures
Our services are available to you if you suffered one of these listed injuries or another serious injury on someone else’s property. When we represent you, our team will gather evidence of the hazard that caused the fall and the resulting injuries to support your financial recovery case.
As briefly mentioned above, if a loved one died because of a slip and fall accident on Long Island, we extend to you our heartfelt condolences. We consider it a special privilege to represent the surviving family members of slip and fall accident wrongful death victims. We are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Deadline to File a Long Island Lawsuit for Slip and Fall Injuries
You have a limited time to take legal action for injuries you or your loved one sustained in a Long Island slip and fall accident. If you fail to act before New York State’s statute of limitations expires, the law will bar you from filing your lawsuit at all. Separate deadlines apply to personal injury and wrongful death cases:
- New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 for personal injury
- Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1 for wrongful death
It is important to note that the specific circumstances of your case could make a different and shorter statute of limitations apply.
Contact our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today to learn what deadlines apply to your case and what your options are.
Additional Benefits of Hiring Our Team Right Away
Complying with the applicable State of New York statute of limitations is an important part of putting our personal injury team to work right away. There are also additional benefits of getting our team involved in your case sooner rather than later. For example, it gives us an opportunity to:
- Investigate the accident scene and take photographs and measurements of the hazardous conditions
- Search the area for available witnesses
- Interview witnesses while memories are vivid
- Locate smartphone, dashcam, or surveillance videos
The earlier you contact our law firm, the more time we have to build the strongest possible case for you. We also have more time to work with subject matter experts and fight for the best possible settlement for you.
Results We Obtained for Previous Slip and Fall Accident Clients
According to the most recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics, falls cost an estimated $50 billion nationwide. This includes the costs of emergency, hospitalization, and lost productivity.
We are passionate advocates for injured clients and fight hard for their compensation. Our recent slip and fall case results include:
- $1,162,301 for a tenant who suffered coccyx and back injuries after falling on a slippery walkway
- $1,000,000 for a retail worker who suffered an ACL rupture and serious leg fracture
- $790,000 for an infant who suffered head and shoulder injuries after falling from a window
- $780,000 for a tenant who suffered a leg injury after falling on an icy walkway
- $725,000 for a woman who suffered a back injury after falling on spilled rice in a grocery store
We fight for every client we represent because we understand the role of financial compensation after an injury in helping you start rebuilding your life. Read more about the settlements and verdicts our lawyers have won for injured clients on our case results page.
Get Started With a Free Consultation
On your own, it is hard to know whether another party’s negligence caused your fall. One of our team members will review the details of your accident at no cost or obligation to you. We will:
- Listen to your story with compassion
- Glean details that support compensation
- Ask critical questions and answer yours
- Explain how we will build your case
A free consultation gives you peace of mind and allows you to focus on your physical recovery. We’ll focus on getting you the compensation you need and deserve for the at-fault party’s negligence.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident on Long Island
If you’re a victim of a slip and fall accident, taking immediate and appropriate steps is crucial for your health and any potential legal action:
- Seek medical attention: Prioritize your health. Some injuries are not immediately apparent.
- Document the scene: If safe to do so, take photos of the location, including any hazards that contributed to the fall.
- Report the incident: Notify the property owner or manager. Request a written report and obtain a copy.
- Gather witness information: If anyone witnessed the fall, get their name and contact details.
- Keep records: Save medical records, receipts, and any correspondence related to the accident.
- Consult our law firm: Consider legal advice, especially if facing significant injuries or liability disputes.
- Avoid immediate settlements or even communicating directly with the at-fault party’s insurer: Don’t rush into settlements without understanding the full extent of your injuries and rights. Don’t even speak with adversarial insurance company representatives who are experienced in structuring their communications with you to minimize their exposure and your ultimate payout.
Don’t wait to hire our team of slip-and-fall lawyers. We will advocate for your best interests and guide you through the legal process.
Call for a No-Cost Consultation and Discuss Hiring a Lawyer From Our Firm
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our personal injury lawyers are ready to help you fight for the compensation you need to pay your bills and get medical treatment after a slip or trip and fall incident on Long Island. If you seek damages after losing a loved one, one of our wrongful death attorneys would be honored to represent your family.
Get a no-cost legal consultation with our team to begin the process. Contact us today for your free case review and find out how a slip and fall accident lawyer will handle your Long Island claim or lawsuit.