Did you suffer injuries in a bicycle accident? Did you lose a loved one in a fatal bike accident? You deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
A Long Island bicycle accident lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you take legal action and fight for the best resolution to your case. Our attorneys investigate, prove, and file these cases regularly. We understand the applicable laws, how to navigate the claims process, and how much victims need to recover fair and just compensation for the expenses and losses they incurred.
Our team is equipped to retrieve the evidence you need and build a case that supports your right to compensation. Let us handle the legal process while you focus on getting better.
Call 516-271-1480 for a free case evaluation.
In This Article
- Injuries From a Long Island Bicycle Accident
- Recoverable Compensation for Long Island Bicycle Accidents
- Proving the Defendant Is Liable for Your Bicycle Accident on Long Island
- Prove the Defendant Violated a Traffic Law
- Compassionate Legal Representation After a Bicycle Accident
- Act Quickly Before the Statute of Limitations Expires
- Speak to a Long Island Bicycle Accident Attorney at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Injuries From a Long Island Bicycle Accident
We recognize the serious nature of the injuries bicyclists often suffer after being hit by a car. The cyclist has, at best, little protection from the impact and is often ejected from their bike, suffering a secondary impact with the ground or another stationary object. These impacts can cause injuries that include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- Other head, neck, or back injuries
- Internal injuries
- Road rash and other soft tissue damage
- Fractures, often requiring surgical repair
- Serious abrasions and contusions
For a free legal consultation with a Bicycle Accident lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
Recoverable Compensation for Long Island Bicycle Accidents
If you were in an accident with a car, truck, bus, or motorcycle while riding your bicycle on Long Island, there are several elements of damages for which you can recover compensation, such as:
- Medical bills
- Prescription medication costs
- Physical therapy
- Assistive devices (e.g., wheelchair)
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Some losses are more difficult to document, but we know the calculations used in the insurance industry and by the courts. We can put a value on—and seek compensation for—your intangible losses. Let our team help you fight for all your damages so you can pay bills, get the medical care you need, and get compensation for your physical and emotional damages.
Our team is experienced in presenting the evidence to maximize the value of your case. We have a network of experts we call in to help us document these projected costs, including medical professionals, economists, and more.
Among other things, this work of evaluating your losses includes presenting:
- Doctor and hospital bills
- Wage records to prove lost wages
- Expert testimony (e.g., medical expert, vocational specialist)
- Bills and receipts for out-of-pocket costs
Call 516-271-1480 for a free case evaluation.
Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Proving the Defendant Is Liable for Your Bicycle Accident on Long Island
Our Long Island bicycle accident attorneys will build your case to establish the defendant’s liability for your injuries. We will gather supporting evidence, investigate whether the defendant violated a traffic law, and establish the defendant’s negligence.
Gathering Supporting Evidence
Our attorneys know how to identify, gather, and analyze evidence in car accidents versus bike crashes. We build strong claims supported by solid evidence, allowing us to negotiate fair settlements or take the case to trial and convince a jury to agree with our client’s side of the story. We will thoroughly investigate your accident and retrieve and review the evidence and documents necessary to prove liability. Some of the evidence we may gather includes:
- Accident or police report
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photographs from the accident scene
- Video surveillance of the accident
- Bicycle and vehicle(s) involved in the accident, along with any other physical evidence
- Expert testimony (e.g., biomechanical engineers, accident reconstruction experts, etc.)
- Your relevant medical records and any documentation related to your damages
Contact us as soon as possible so we can get started collecting evidence and building your case.
Click to contact our Long Island Personal Injury Lawyers today
Prove the Defendant Violated a Traffic Law
Whether or not the defendant was issued a ticket, we may be able to prove that the defendant violated a section of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York. If the defendant violated a traffic law pertaining to sharing the road with bicyclists, the violation may be relevant to establishing the defendant’s liability.
For example, per New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1146, motorists must “exercise due care to avoid colliding with any bicyclist…upon any roadway and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary.” Furthermore, when overtaking a bicycle from behind, the passing motorist shall leave sufficient space on the left of the rider, per Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1122-a.
We can use a violation of the Vehicle and Traffic Law to establish that the defendant was negligent and to argue that such negligence caused your injuries, and therefore the defendant is liable for your damages.
Establishing the Defendant’s Negligence
Our team will gather the evidence to establish that the defendant was negligent, and that the defendant’s negligence caused your bicycle accident.
Common types of negligence that cause bicycle accidents include:
- Opening a vehicle door into a bicyclist’s path
- Failure to yield to bicyclists
- Not giving bicyclists enough space when passing
- Failure to keep a proper lookout for bicyclists
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will fight for your rights after a bicycle accident. Call 516-271-1480.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compassionate Legal Representation After a Bicycle Accident
We deliver customized legal representation to victims of bike accidents. Our attorneys treat your case as unique, recognizing that your injuries, damages, and the physical and emotional effects of your accident are not exactly like those of any other person.
Our approach is to investigate, build, and present your case to demonstrate the full extent of your injuries and damages. Your Long Island bicycle accident lawyer will protect your rights, answer your questions, and fight for you.
Here are some of the benefits of working with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.:
- We do not get paid unless and until you get compensation: We are a contingency fee law firm in that we provide the money to pay for your claim, including the investigation, and obtaining documents. We make sure that your family does not have to pay anything at all toward the prosecution of your case until you win a monetary recovery, and you will not have to worry about paying any fee or expense out of pocket.
- Your case evaluation is free: Reach out to our office any day and at any time to discuss your case.
- Our team keeps you updated about your case: You will know who to call if you have questions and can connect with us via email, text message, or other methods, as well. We make it easy to keep in contact and get answers when you need them.
We always put our clients’ needs first, seeking a financial recovery that fairly compensates them for their treatment, financial losses, stress and physical suffering, and more. If you were hurt in a bike accident on Long Island, call us at 516-271-1480.
Act Quickly Before the Statute of Limitations Expires
With few exceptions, New York imposes a deadline to pursue a lawsuit for a bicycle accident. After the deadline passes, you are unable to file your lawsuit and collect damages.
In addition to the statute of limitations, there are other critical deadlines that apply to bicycle accident cases. A member of our team of legal professionals will be honored to review these with you when you call our firm for your free consultation.
Additionally, practice time considerations apply as well. Matters such as obtaining statements from witnesses or securing copies of surveillance and dashcam video are all best addressed as soon as possible, as these items can become unavailable over time for a variety of reasons.
So, if you were hurt in a bicycle accident on Long Island, call us now to get started.
Speak to a Long Island Bicycle Accident Attorney at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
If you sustained injuries in a bicycle accident or your loved one died in a bike accident, a personal injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help you exercise your right to compensation. We see victims of these crashes when they need our team the most.
From the first conversation until we give them their check for compensation, we fight to protect our clients’ rights and represent their best interests. This includes proving what happened, who is responsible, and how much their case is worth.
We will keep you up to date about your case, return your phone calls, text messages, and emails, and handle the legal process so you can focus on getting better. Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at 516-271-1480 to begin the process.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form