Damages you can seek after a bicycle accident include economic damages for monetary losses and non-economic damages for physical and emotional injuries. Depending on how the accident impacted your life and the liable party’s role, you could qualify for one or both types of damages.
In This Article
- Seeking Damages After a Bicycle Accident
- After a Bicycle Accident, Our Lawyers Want to Help
- Seeking Damages After a Fatal Bicycle Accident
- We Will Help You Seek Bicycle Accident Damages
Seeking Damages After a Bicycle Accident
Specific examples of economic damages that a bicycle accident victim might qualify to seek include:
- Medical expenses, if you spent or expect to spend money on doctor’s visits, medical tests, medication, assistive devices, physical therapy, or any other form of treatment for your bicycle accident injuries
- Bicycle repair bills, for damage that the accident caused
- Lost wages, if you had to stay home from work to let your injuries heal for days, weeks, or even longer
- Loss of future earning capacity, if your injuries will permanently affect your ability to find work and earn a living
Meanwhile, non-economic damages compensate victims for the physical, emotional, and mental pain they have endured due to a bicycle accident. Examples include:
- Impaired quality of life, if you are no longer able to perform your activities of daily living independently or enjoy the same range of activities that you did before
- Pain and suffering, if the accident and resulting injuries have caused noticeable physical and/or psychological distress
- Disability, if you suffered an injury like nerve damage or brain damage that prevents you from using certain body parts or performing tasks
- Disfigurement, if the accident injuries have left serious scarring that affects your physical appearance or capabilities
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
After a Bicycle Accident, Our Lawyers Want to Help
Per the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), bicyclists “shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle…” In other words, bicyclists who are careful and follow applicable laws have just as much right to safely use a roadway as drivers.
If your rights as a bicyclist were violated, our firm is willing and able to advocate for you, whether that means negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company or taking your case to court. Our team will:
- Update you regularly, so that you always know what is going on and you have plenty of time to appropriately prepare for new developments
- Identify all liable parties, so that you know who is responsible for your bicycle accident and who you should seek compensation from
- Communicate with liable parties, so that you do not have to worry about filing paperwork or meeting face to face with the people who caused your injuries
- Gather evidence, so that your case is strengthened by eyewitness or expert testimony, relevant reports, or photographs and video footage
- Quantify your damages, so you know how much your injuries are worth and how much compensation to seek
- Fight relentlessly for you, to win the best possible case outcome to compensate you for your losses.
The Benefits of Choosing Our Personal Injury Firm
Even if the bicycle accident has substantially affected your finances, you deserve the opportunity to hire legal representation. Our firm maintains the accessibility of our services by:
- Evaluating cases at no charge and no obligation so that all personal injury victims are able to explore their legal options for free
- Charging a contingency fee so that clients only have to pay attorney’s fees once they receive compensation
- Taking our fee out of your compensation so you do not have to worry about paying out of pocket
- Traveling to meet with you anywhere on Long Island or the New York metropolitan area if you are unable to come to our office
Seeking Damages After a Fatal Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents are all too often fatal. Per the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), 846 bicyclists were killed in the United States in 2019 alone.
If you lost a loved one in such an accident, our team is deeply sorry for your loss. We know that this is a very difficult time for you, and it would be our honor to help you seek the compensation your family needs and the justice your loved one deserves.
If you hire us, we will seek the following types of damages on your behalf:
- End-of-life expenses, if you had to pay your loved one’s debts, funeral expenses, and so on
- Loss of companionship, if you find it difficult to live without your loved one’s advice, affection, and other emotional contributions to the household
- Loss of financial support, if you depended on your loved one’s income to maintain your lifestyle
No matter what kind of case you need to file – personal injury or wrongful death – our firm will be there for you every step of the way.
Rest assured that your Long Island bicycle accident lawyer will walk you through the process step by step, explaining your legal options depending on your situation. For instance, if the at-fault party’s insurers refuse to offer a fair settlement, deny your claim, or proceed in a detrimental manner to your situation, our law firm is more than ready to represent you in court. Most plaintiffs don’t believe bike accidents or personal injuries make it to court, but they do. We will represent you before a judge or a jury to make sure you recover the damages you are owed.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
We Will Help You Seek Bicycle Accident Damages
Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will advocate for you after a bicycle accident. Among other things, we help you identify what damages you can seek and even communicate with the liable party on your behalf. Call for a free consultation today at (516) 932-0400. Our staff offers assistance in multiple languages, including Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form