Any type of accident can cause physical pain and emotional distress. You might be physically unable to work as you recover from your injuries. A smaller or even no paycheck may add to your concern about paying incoming medical bills on top of your mortgage/rent, car payment, and other necessities.
Do not let an insurance company take advantage of your financial desperation by trying to push a quick but low settlement offer. With the help of a personal injury lawyer, you can get the compensation you need and deserve.
The personal injury lawyers serving Oceanside from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help you recover compensation to cover your medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. This way, you can focus on getting better and getting your life back on track.
Call us today at (516) 932-0400 for a free case review and consultation.
In This Article
- Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
- What We Will Do to Get You the Compensation You Deserve
- Investigating Your Personal Injury Case
- Establishing Negligence
- Calculating Damages
- Interacting with the Insurance Company
- Statute of Limitations in New York
- Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
When another person’s negligence injures someone else, this constitutes a personal injury. You have the right to seek financial compensation from negligent parties after accidents such as the following.
Examples of the Kinds of Injury Claims We Handle:
- Medical malpractice
- Car accidents
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Birth injuries
- Dog bites
- Ridesharing accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Pedestrian accidents
- Toxic exposure injuries
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. handles all these types of accidents, and we have done so since 1991. Call us today for a free consultation about your accident.
Every Accident Has a Different Cause
It may be easy enough to say that the liable party owes you damages after an accident. Determining who that party is—or if there is more than one liable party in your case—is more complex. Depending on your situation, you could end up suing one or more of the following.
- A motor vehicle driver who disobeyed the rules of the road
- A property owner who failed to address hazards on their property
- A fellow construction worker who did not follow safety procedures and protocols
- A medical professional who failed to provide you with treatment consistent with the generally accepted standard of care.A manufacturer who did not test their product sufficiently or who did not recall a product they knew was potentially dangerous
This is a small sample of the types of liable parties you might have to pursue for damages. Part of our job is to tell clients who they should sue, how many liable parties there are, and how much compensation they should seek from each party.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Oceanside, call 516-932-0400
What We Will Do to Get You the Compensation You Deserve
We have been passionate advocates for the injured people of Long Island for more than 30 years. As your personal injury attorneys, we will deliver tailored legal services that fight for the results you need.
- Keep you updated on your case as it progresses
- Investigate your case and document evidence
- Identify the at-fault party and establish liability
- Communicate with all parties involved in your case
- Manage every aspect of your case
Oceanside Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Investigating Your Personal Injury Case
Our legal team will construct a compelling case founded on the best available evidence that we will gather through a thorough investigation of your accident.
Depending upon the unique circumstances of your accident case, to determine the cause of your accident, we will conduct some or all of the following investigative work.
- Visit the scene of your accident
- Gather photos and videos
- Collect other evidence
- Interview witnesses
- Obtain the police report, the crash report from the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, or the facility accident report
- Gather all your accident-related medical records
- Enlist the expertise of an accident reconstruction specialist
As per the requirements of your case, we will also collect evidence to support your claim of damages. We will:
- Obtain wage statements from your employer
- Get written opinions from experts in the fields of medicine, economics, vocational therapy, and life-care planning
- Speak with your family, friends, coworkers, and other acquaintances about how your life has changed since the accident
A vital component of your case is the establishment of negligence. To construct a bona fide case of personal injury, we must establish the following criteria:
- Duty of Care – The defendant had a duty to take reasonable steps to keep you from injury.
- Breach of Duty – The defendant failed to fulfill this duty of care.
- Causation – The defendant’s breach of duty caused the accident.
- Damages – You suffered injury and actual damages as a result of the accident.
Having met these criteria, we will prepare your case so that it will withstand even the toughest of scrutiny.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The point of this process is to recover the losses you have suffered as a result of your accident. Our legal team will itemize every way your injury has cost you—economically and non-economically.
Some of the damages you may be able to recover in your case include:
- Medical treatment costs
- Emergency transportation
- Prescription medicines
- Assistive mobility devices
- Replacement services
- Lost income and benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical or intellectual disability
When such analysis is called for, we will consult with experts who will give us their professional opinions on the estimated future costs associated with medical care, diminished potential earnings, etc.
If you lost a loved one due to the negligence of another party, please know that we are sorry for your loss. This is a time of grieving, but you should also consider the economic costs you will soon face as a result of your loved one’s passing. You need not bear these costs. An Oceanside personal injury lawyer can file a wrongful death action on your behalf to recover the economic and non-economic damages that stem from this untimely death. Call us today to speak to a compassionate, patient, experienced and dedicated wrongful death attorney.
Interacting with the Insurance Company
Once we have calculated your damages, our Oceanside personal injury lawyers will negotiate with the insurer and work to win the best possible settlement for you. If the insurer fails to agree to a fair settlement, we are ready and able to file a lawsuit against the defendant in a court of law. There, we will argue your right to compensation and demonstrate to a jury why you are entitled to—and why they should award you—the damages you deserve.
Why Dealing with Insurance Companies Is Tricky
It is the insurance adjuster’s job to save their company as much money as possible. This could mean that they try to reduce your payout by:
- Asserting your own actions played a role in the accident or your injuries
- Stating that their client did not behave negligently or unreasonably
- Claiming that your injuries are not as bad as your lawsuit alleges, and therefore you do not need as much in compensation
Any contact between you and the insurance company—whether in person, over the phone, or through social media posts—gives them an opportunity to undermine your case. You can protect your rights by allowing us to manage all communications on your behalf.
Statute of Limitations in New York
The statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim under New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 limits how long you have from the date of your accident to take legal action on a personal injury. Missing this deadline may impact your ability to recover damages. (Please note, depending upon the specific circumstances of your accident, a shorter statute of limitations may apply, together with other deadlines that govern claims and lawsuits. One of our attorneys can carefully analyze your situation and inform you of the applicable time limits in your case.) The sooner you contact an attorney to help you, the sooner they can start building your case and tracking all case time limits to ensure none are missed.
The Oceanside personal injury lawyers and staff at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will manage every aspect of your case so you can focus on recovering from your injury. The sooner we talk to you, the more time we have to build a winning case.
There Might Be Multiple Deadlines
Examples of statutes of limitations with shorter deadlines in certain cases include the following:
- The deadline for wrongful death cases, found at Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1, is different than the deadline for personal injury cases.
- The deadline for suing a government entity, found at General Municipal § 50-E, is significantly shorter than other statutes of limitations.
Regardless of legal time limits, evidence in personal injury cases is often time-sensitive. Waiting too long to file could make it hard or impossible for us to locate or rely on crucial pieces of evidence, such as surveillance and dashcam video or witness statements. . Starting your case promptly is more likely to be a more effective approach to proving your liability case against the at-fault party.
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
Our legal team works on a contingency basis, meaning you pay us only when you get paid. Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today for a free case review and consultation. Our multilingual staff is eager to take your call: (516) 932-0400. We accept your call at any time, day or night, and we will assist you in Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, or Kannada.