A truck accident can shake your world in multiple ways. Injuries from this type of collision can be severe, with correspondingly serious medical bills. Moreover, you can miss time at work, and the emotional trauma may continue to trouble you down the road.
Rather than cripple yourself with these concerns, consider pursuing the party who caused your truck accident. An Oceanside personal injury lawyer will work to establish the at-fault party’s liability, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if necessary, vigorously represent your right to compensation in court.
- We Handle All Types of Truck Accidents
- What an Oceanside NY Truck Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
- Supporting Your Truck Accident Claim With Evidence
- Establishing Truck Accident Negligence and Liability
- Damages You May Recover in a Truck Accident Case
- What if I Lost a Loved One in a Truck Accident?
- How Long Will It Take to Settle My Truck Accident Case?
- Why Should You Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer From Our Firm?
- How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for Help with Your Truck Accident Case
We Handle All Types of Truck Accidents
A truck accident can be caused by the same factors that lead to a car accident. There are also additional risk factors that are specific to truck driving because of the unique aspects of this type of vehicle.
Since 1991, we have been handling truck accidents, along with our other practice areas. During this time, we have identified several common situations and behaviors that lead to these collisions. They include:
- Poor truck maintenance
- Overloaded or improperly loaded trailers
- Faulty or defective parts
- Excessive speed
- Inadequate driver training
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Reckless driving
Our truck accident attorneys will accept truck accident cases caused by any of the above circumstances or any type of negligence that caused your accident injury. We will apprise you of your legal options for compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving Oceanside, call 516-932-0400
What an Oceanside NY Truck Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
Hiring an attorney to handle the legal aspects of your case allows you to focus on healing from your injuries and getting your life back on track. As your legal representative in your quest for compensation, we commit to pursuing fair compensation for your losses. But that’s not all. We will also:
Keep You Updated on Your Case
You will always know the status of your case because your personal injury attorney will be proactive in keeping you informed. We take calls, read messages, listen to voicemails, and get back to you with answers promptly. You can relax, knowing that our team is working on your behalf.
Investigate Your Truck Accident and Gather Evidence
When you hire us as your attorneys, we will begin the case-building process with a strong foundation of solid evidence that we assemble from various sources.
Establish Negligence and Liability
When we have identified the at-fault party (or parties), we will begin constructing the framework for a case of negligence, a requirement in pursuing compensation for a personal injury matter.
Calculate Your Damages
Using evidence from our investigation, as well as, where indicated, input from medical, economic, vocational rehabilitation, and lifecare planning experts, we will tabulate all the losses you have suffered because of your injury.
Negotiate With the Insurance Companies
Negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company is one of the most challenging parts of receiving fair compensation for your injuries and losses after a truck accident. Insurance companies will try to get you to settle for less than you may be entitled to. Your personal injury attorney knows how to negotiate so that you receive a settlement that will cover your losses and any future losses that you may suffer as a result of your accident. If the insurance company refuses to offer you a fair settlement, we are prepared to file a lawsuit and take your case to court.
You don’t have to fight for your rights alone when you have a personal injury lawyer on your side.
Oceanside Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Supporting Your Truck Accident Claim With Evidence
When you choose our Oceanside, New York truck accident lawyers, we will go the extra mile when investigating your case and gathering the facts and documentation to support your claim. After years of representing accident victims, we know where to look for the most compelling evidence in a truck accident. Some of the sources we will tap for evidence in your case include:
- Truck maintenance records
- Truck inspection records
- Truck driver logs
- Police accident report
- Records of safety violations
- The truck’s “black box” data
- Accident scene photos and videos
- Accounts from witnesses
- Employer wage statements
- Your medical records
Your Oceanside, New York truck accident lawyer will also have access to respected experts in various fields who can offer their written opinion regarding the cause and effects of your injuries.
Establishing Truck Accident Negligence and Liability
One aspect of truck accident cases that differentiates them from other motor-vehicle collisions is the strong likelihood that multiple parties may have liability for your injuries. Under vicarious liability laws, for example, trucking companies can be held liable for injuries caused by one of their drivers.
If the truck was poorly maintained, it is possible that a maintenance provider shares liability. If the accident occurred because of a faulty or defective tire, the tire manufacturer can be held liable.
Our team will work to establish the following for all parties involved in your accident:
- Duty of Care– The defendant(s) owed you a duty to take reasonable steps to keep you from harm or injury.
- Breach of Duty– The defendant(s) did not uphold their duty of care.
- Causation– This breach of duty caused your truck accident.
- Damages– You suffered damages—physical, economic, and emotional—from the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You May Recover in a Truck Accident Case
Every truck accident is different. The compensation you receive for your truck accident will depend upon the nature of the accident, the type and extent of your injuries, and other factors. Examples of the types of damages you might recover include:
- Medical fees
- Prescription medicines
- Estimated future medical costs
- Imaging and lab tests
- Lost wages and benefits
- Estimated future lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Sometimes, a truck accident causes significant injuries that ultimately prove fatal. If you lost a loved one in this manner, we are very sorry for your loss. Please know that you do have the option to pursue a wrongful death action to help recover the losses you will take on because of this untimely death. Our wrongful death attorneys are ready to take on and fight this claim on your behalf, with compassion and determination.
Are These Damages Limited in New York?
Damages are divided into two categories: economic and non-economic. Economic damages cover your financial losses, whereas non-economic reimburse you for the emotional toll you suffer as a result of the accident.
Some states limit these damages. In New York, though, these damages have no limit, per the state’s personal injury codes. However, the insurance policy of the liable party and its associated limits could impact the valuation of your settlement.
What if I Lost a Loved One in a Truck Accident?
If a loved one passed away as a result of a truck accident, please accept our deepest condolences for your loss. Although financial compensation will never make up for the person you lost, it can help ease the burden of the financial responsibilities and bills you may be responsible for.
These include, but are not limited to:
- Hospital bills
- Funeral costs
- Expenses your loved one contributed to
- Loss of companionship
Your lawyer will explain the details and handle your legal matters, allowing you the time you need to grieve your loss.
How Long Will It Take to Settle My Truck Accident Case?
Each truck accident case is unique. Some are settled quickly, whereas others can take months or even years to reach a conclusion. These factors will impact how quickly your case proceeds:
- The duration of insurance negotiations
- Whether your case is settled via insurance negotiations or not
- Whether your personal injury claim necessitates trial or not
- If your case involves disputed facts, it could take longer
We won’t leave you in the dark. Throughout the duration of your case, however long it takes, we’ll provide you with consistent updates. You can contact us with questions whenever you want. Our goal is to put your mind at ease during the entire legal process so you can focus on caring for yourself and your family.
Why Should You Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer From Our Firm?
We’ve successfully represented truck accident victims in the past. This previous experience means that we know what you’re going through. The medical bills, the pain, and the stress, we’ve seen it all.
This burden doesn’t need to weigh on you forever. We will take on the specifics of your case so you can spend more time supporting your family or healing from your injuries. This is what just a couple of our many clients have said about working with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P:
- “Mr. Friedman wasn’t just my lawyer. He (was) or is a very concerned and a very caring person. Mr. Friedman made sure I was in good hands as well… I was astonished at how hard he fought for me to get my life back financially.” – David
- “My injuries negatively affected my time with family, my ability to work, and my recreational activities. Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., fought for me and made sure that I was paid for all the harm that was done to me and for everything I had to go through.” – Larry
We’re more than just passionate advocates for the injured, though. We care about results, too. Our past case victories demonstrate that we’ve won considerable truck accident results for our clients. Here are just two examples.
- $650,000 for a woman who was hit in her car by a truck as the truck made a left-hand turn
- $1,000,000 for a worker who was unloading a van that was struck by a truck
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Generally, lawyers typically base their fees for services on one of three different payment plans:
- Hourly: With an hourly fee plan, you’ll pay your lawyer their desired rate, based on the hours they bill to your case.
- Lump sum: Lump sums are single, upfront fees. Once you’ve supplied this fee, you won’t need to pay your lawyer again.
- Contingency: Lawyers who work on contingency don’t require any upfront fees or retainers. Instead, they receive their fees as a percentage of your final settlement or award.
Accessibility is important to us. We know that you might be unable to work as you try to manage compounding medical costs. These financial worries shouldn’t prevent you from securing legal counsel.
We work on a contingency basis exclusively. This means that:
- You don’t need to pay us anything upfront
- We don’t get paid unless we win your case. Our services are completely risk-free
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for Help with Your Truck Accident Case
The people of Oceanside, NY are our neighbors. When they suffer an injury, we want to help them receive the compensation they need to get their lives back on track. We want to do for you what we’ve done for our clients throughout the years.
It’s also important to keep in mind that New York’s statute of limitations limits the amount of time you have after an accident to file a lawsuit against the liable party. The sooner you start, the sooner we will get you on track with meeting this and other important deadlines, and the sooner we will start constructing a winning case.
According to New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214, you have three years from the time of the injury to pursue legal action. Per Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1, you have two years from the time of the wrongful death to take legal action. Claims and lawsuits are governed by other deadlines, and the unique facts of your case may indicate that a different and shorter statute of limitations applies. A member of our team of legal professionals will review this with you during a free, no-obligation consultation
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today for a free case review and consultation.