After a pedestrian accident, you are likely experiencing significant physical, financial, and personal hardship. Seeking treatment for your injuries isn’t cheap, and if you’re unable to work while you recover, you may also be struggling to keep up with your regular bills. You shouldn’t have to suffer these consequences. An experienced personal injury lawyer from our team of dedicated legal professionals will pursue financial recovery on your behalf.
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we are proud of the work we do for our clients. Our attorneys have experience fighting for injured people in cases like yours. When you trust us with your case, we aim to provide quality service and peace of mind during the legal process. One of our Oceanside pedestrian accident lawyers will handle everything related to your case while you focus on recovery.
- What Kinds of Damages Are Awarded in Pedestrian Accident Cases?
- Gathering Evidence to Support Your Pedestrian Accident Claim
- Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Oceanside
- The Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
- Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today!
What Kinds of Damages Are Awarded in Pedestrian Accident Cases?
Since your accident, you have likely spent a great deal to be able to recover. All of what you’ve spent and lost as a result of your accident are referred to as damages. Our attorneys will include these types of damages in your demands:
- Medical expenses. Any medical expenses you’ve incurred as a result of the accident are recoverable in your case. This may include emergency transportation and treatment, surgery, rehabilitation, and the cost of future care.
- Lost wages. While you spent time in recovery, you may have been unable to work. We will recover the wages you lost during this time. We will also pursue the loss of your future earning capacity if your injury will prevent you from returning to work, returning to the same level of work/income, or will force you to change careers.
- Diminished quality of life. You may be facing a loss of mobility and independence. If your personal life has been inconvenienced or affected by this injury, we will demand compensation to mitigate these consequences.
- Pain and suffering. Your physical, mental, and emotional pain are all types of recoverable damages. We will use evidence from your own testimony, expert witnesses, and possibly family members to estimate how much your suffering has affected you.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, we are so sorry for what you must be going through and we extend to you our heartfelt condolences. Not only can losing someone be emotionally devastating, but it can send a family reeling after the loss of their financial support. No family should have to balance their own recovery from a loss with serious financial insecurity. Our wrongful death attorneys will assess your case for these types of damages:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses incurred prior to your loved one’s passing
- The loss of your loved one’s companionship, guidance, and support
- The loss of your loved one’s financial support
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Oceanside, call 516-932-0400
Gathering Evidence to Support Your Pedestrian Accident Claim
As your Oceanside pedestrian accident lawyers, we will prove that you are entitled to compensation. Doing this requires gathering evidence to bolster your case. To this effect, our attorneys will demonstrate the following:
- The other party owed you a duty of care
- The other party breached their duty of care
- This breach of care resulted in your accident
- The accident caused your injuries and other losses
Some of the evidence we will gather to meet these criteria include:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Witness accounts
- Video Footage (Dashcam and surveillance video)
- Expert witness testimony
The kind of evidence we gather will depend on the circumstances of your case. We are able to gather the information that may be quite difficult for you to collect on your own, such as phone records and black box data. Let us find the evidence needed to prove your case.
Oceanside Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Oceanside
When a motor vehicle collides with a pedestrian, the resulting injuries are often catastrophic, resulting in expensive medical care and life-altering consequences. The kinds of injuries you sustained can impact the course your lawyer takes and the settlement you are entitled to.
Here are some common pedestrian accident injuries:
Traumatic Brain Injuries
According to research published in the Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, head and neck injuries are the second leading type of injury in adult pedestrians who were struck by motor vehicles.
Victims who sustain a traumatic brain injury after experiencing trauma to the head and/or neck often experience:
- Balance issues
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of memory
Depending on the severity of the injuries, victims of pedestrian accidents in Oceanside could experience these symptoms short-term or long-term.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Musculoskeletal injuries are the most common kind of injury sustained by adult pedestrians. This includes spinal cord injuries, which are often life-altering. Some of the symptoms of spinal cord injuries include:
- Issues breathing
- Loss of bladder and bowel control
- Feelings of numbness
- Full or partial paralysis
Injuries of these levels of severity often take extensive and expensive medical treatment. As a victim of negligence, you should not be forced to shoulder these financial burdens. As your legal representatives, we will fight for you to recover these and other expenses related to your accident.
The Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), several of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents can be tied to driver negligence.
This CDC research indicates that speeding is correlated with pedestrian accidents and more severe injuries. Not only does speeding give the driver less time to respond, but it increases the time it takes to brake. If a driver was speeding when they hit you, or if their speeding was the cause of your accident, they should be held accountable.
Driving While Intoxicated
About 13 percent of drivers who injured a pedestrian were intoxicated at the time of the collision, per the CDC. Nearly half of all fatalities involving a pedestrian involved alcohol. Needless to say, if the driver who hurt you was intoxicated when they hurt you, we will demand justice for their reckless behavior.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today!
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident in Oceanside, we will demand the compensation you deserve. We have the experience and knowledge to collect evidence for your claim and negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Schedule a free consultation today to begin your case. As your Oceanside pedestrian accident lawyer, we are here for you every step of the way.