If you were a pedestrian injured in an accident caused by a negligent road user, you could claim compensation and receive a settlement to support your recovery. However, understanding your legal rights or whether you have a case could be confusing after being injured. The challenges of making a claim are compounded by the likelihood that the other party will deny fault for causing the collision.
Whatever your situation, our Freeport personal injury lawyers from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help to clarify your legal position and provide everything you need for financial recovery.
- Options for Injured Pedestrians to Recover Financial Damages
- Recoverable Damages in a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
- We Believe Our Clients Deserve the Best Possible Support During Their Recovery
- Leading Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
- Legal Time Limits in New York Could Affect Your Right to Pursue Compensation
- Discuss Your Legal Options with a Freeport Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
Options for Injured Pedestrians to Recover Financial Damages
If a negligent motorist injured you, we will make a claim for you against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy up to their policy limits. We will also see to it that medical bills and a portion of your lost wages are covered via PIP (i.e., personal injury protection), coverage.
However, if your injuries are severe, and the at-fault party’s insurer is choosing to deny, delay, and defend the claim, we can file a pedestrian accident lawsuit against the at-fault driver provided there is evidence showing they caused the accident through negligence.
Negligence means the driver did some unreasonable act or failed to perform some act that they should have, which resulted in the accident. Our pedestrian accident attorneys will examine the facts of your case to determine the legal options available to you. Once we identify liable parties and sources of recovery, we will build, pursue, and manage every aspect of your case for compensation so that you can focus on your recovery.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Freeport, call 516-932-0400
Recoverable Damages in a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
Everyone we represent faces unique challenges as a result of their accident injuries. Because we treat our clients as we would our own family, our pedestrian accident attorneys take the time to understand how your injuries affect your life, work, relationships, hobbies, and interests. This way, we are able to build a clear picture of the full extent of your financial damages before seeking compensation for items like:
- Medical bills, treatment, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Compensation if your ability to work is affected due to your injuries
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Impaired quality of life
- Emotional distress
If a negligent driver caused the loss of your loved one, we extend our heartfelt condolences to you. We have successfully handled many wrongful death lawsuits over the years. We consider it a privilege to fight for the bereaved family against the responsible party. No amount of money can ever make up for the grief caused, but it can help families with practical and financial concerns in the absence of their family member. We are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Freeport Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
We Believe Our Clients Deserve the Best Possible Support During Their Recovery
Along with a free case consultation and providing our legal services on a no-win, no-fee basis, we support our clients with compassionate, practical, and efficient representation. We are with you every step of the way throughout the legal process and manage everything you need for a robust case by:
- Keeping you regularly updated on your case progress
- Identifying liable parties
- Managing the administration and communications with all parties on your behalf
- Gathering evidence and other supporting documents
- Determining a value for your case
- Negotiating for an appropriate settlement and reviewing settlement offers
- Fighting relentlessly to win the best possible case outcome for you
We work alongside medical and financial experts such as economists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, life care planners, and medical professionals to ensure we build the strongest and most compelling case possible for you.
Leading Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
While there are many health benefits from walking, there are also risks. A 2021 report from the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) revealed alarming statistics showing pedestrian deaths are increasing faster than all other types of traffic fatalities, with speeding being a leading cause of concern. Other contributing factors in pedestrian accidents caused by driver negligence can include:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to give right of way to pedestrians
- Disregarding traffic signs, controls, or signals
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving
- Reckless driving, such as speeding or aggressive driving
- Inadequate driver observation
- Unsafe backing or reversing
- Fatigued driving
Potential Liable Parties in Pedestrian-Related Accidents
While many pedestrians are injured through driver negligence, other parties can cause or contribute to accidents, such as:
- Negligent employers if they fail to provide training for safe driving, cut corners with vehicle maintenance, or are lax in their hiring practices.
- Government agencies responsible for the upkeep of roads and road markings, traffic signals, and sidewalks.
- Parts or vehicle manufacturers could be responsible for accidents caused by a defective product.
Our legal team carefully examines the facts of your case to determine the cause of the accident, which will highlight potentially liable parties. While this could provide several avenues to seek compensation, in almost every pedestrian accident case it makes the legal process complex and burdensome for claimants to face alone. However, our pedestrian accident attorneys are well acquainted with challenging cases involving multiple parties or complex injuries, so we are well-positioned to help you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Legal Time Limits in New York Could Affect Your Right to Pursue Compensation
Keep in mind; you will generally need to file your pedestrian accident lawsuit or wrongful death action within a specific timeframe per the following statutes:
As with all things legal, conditions that could increase or decrease the time you have to file your case might apply. Again, our lawyers for pedestrian accident victims will handle compliance with applicable filing dates, relieving you of stress and anxiety and permitting you to focus on medical treatment and healing. Still, as a general rule, beginning your claim as soon as possible is always beneficial to avoid complications and to provide ample time for us to build the best case for you.
Discuss Your Legal Options with a Freeport Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our commitment to providing legal excellence and achieving high levels of client satisfaction is the heartbeat of everything we have done for over three decades. If you or a loved one was injured or worse in a pedestrian accident, our Freeport pedestrian accident lawyers are here for you. To learn more about your legal options today, call for a free consultation with our team.