Did you suffer a severe burn injury? Do you believe another party is responsible? Living with the aftermath of someone else’s mistake, haunted by the feeling that there were no consequences to the at-fault party, isn’t necessary. Burn injury claims seek to make the at-fault party reimburse survivors for medical expenses, lost income, and other relevant damages.
Fighting for the accountability of at-fault parties is a critical aspect of why our law firm exists. . To fight for the compensation you deserve, a Freeport burn injury lawyer from our personal injury team will manage every aspect of your case. We will submit relevant documentation, meet every deadline, and protect your rights. Contact our office for a free case consultation today.
- Burn Injuries Explained
- Burn Injury Damages
- The Benefit of Hiring a Freeport Burn Injury Lawyer
- The Clock is Ticking on Your Burn Injury Case
Burn Injuries Explained
In the medical community, professionals grade burn injuries to determine their severity. Each grade corresponds with different symptoms and potential treatment plans. For context, the upper layer of skin is known as the epidermis, and the lower layer is called the dermis.
The severity and required treatment for each burn grade includes the following:
- First-degree burns: First-degree burns, while uncomfortable, are mainly superficial. This burn grade is often caused by sun exposure or briefly touching a hot object. Cool water, aloe vera gel, and antibiotic cream are typically sufficient to treat first-degree burns.
- Second-degree burns: Second-degree burns damage both the upper and lower portions of the skin. Blistering, redness, and considerable discomfort are all common. Like first-degree burns, this grade doesn’t usually result in permanent or long-term injury.
- Third-degree burns: Third-degree burns destroy both the epidermis and dermis. In severe cases, this category of burns impacts muscles, ligaments, and other essential bodily functions. For treatment, skin grafts and other expensive procedures are often required.
According to the American Burn Association, burn injuries are rarely fatal but often involve “serious scarring, life-long physical disabilities, and adjustment difficulties.” Don’t hesitate to ask your medical provider about your injury’s long-term outlook.
What Causes Burn Injuries?
Specifically, burn injuries are caused by:
- Flame burns: This category of burns involves exposure to open flames
- Scalds: Scald injuries are caused by super-hot liquid or steam
- Chemical burns: Chemicals, like acetic acid, burn exposed skin
- Electrical burns: When touched, open wiring causes electrical burns
In a personal injury context, the following types of accidents sometimes involve burn injuries:
- Car, truck, and pedestrian accidents: Gasoline is a highly flammable liquid that, when ignited, often burns car accident victims
- Construction accidents: Construction sites involve multiple burn risks, from wiring to fires
- Premises liability accidents: Businesses, like restaurants or bars, expose their clients to burn risks when they don’t correctly manage hot liquids
These are only a few examples. Another type of accident could have caused your injuries. We provide free consultations to our prospective clients – learning if you’re eligible for a burn injury claim is only a call away.
For a free legal consultation with a Burn Injury lawyer serving Freeport, call 516-932-0400
Burn Injury Damages
If you’re filing a burn injury claim, you qualify for several types of damages – the specific types of losses available for reimbursement. These damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Impaired quality of life
- Property damages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
The specific types of damages you’re eligible for will depend on the context of your case. If you choose to work with our team, a Freeport burn injury lawyer will estimate the value of your case by reviewing the following:
- Your medical records
- The grade and severity of your burns
- The cause of your burns
- The insurance coverage of the party responsible for your injuries
Wrongful Death Cases and Burn Injuries
Severe burn injuries are rarely fatal, typically entailing long-term disfigurement and disability but not death. However, we extend our deepest condolences if you lost your loved one to a burn injury. When we represent clients pursuing a wrongful death case, we prioritize empathy, compassion, and determination – securing fair compensation on your behalf is our priority.
Specific wrongful death damages may include the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Health care costs incurred before the passing of your loved one
- Financial support your loved one would have contributed to your family
- The loss of parental support
- Pain and suffering your loved one endured
These damages, unfortunately, can’t bring your loved one back. However, our team is still committed to working toward accountability – if someone else caused the passing of your loved one, they owe you for how they impacted your life.
Freeport Burn Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
The Benefit of Hiring a Freeport Burn Injury Lawyer
Our client intake process begins with a free consultation. During this meeting, we will discuss the following:
- Your goals as a client
- Your case eligibility
- What working with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P looks like
Once these basics are covered, it’s time to move forward. We provide our clients with the following services:
- Ensure you receive updates on your case’s status: We will always keep you in the loop and answer your questions, no matter how complicated.
- Identify liable parties: To win a burn injury case, you must identify the party responsible for your injuries. We will conduct a thorough investigation to determine who should pay.
- Communicate with all parties: From insurers to representatives, we will manage all communications associated with your case – you don’t need to worry about saying the wrong thing to the insurance companies.
- Gather evidence: Determining liability and gathering evidence go hand in hand. We’re prepared to comb through medical records, witness statements, and police reports. Additionally, we will work alongside relevant experts, like economists, medical professionals, and life care planners, to ensure every detail is correct.
- Determine your case’s value: You don’t need to come to the negotiation table unprepared. We will assess your case’s potential value by reviewing your damages.
Learn more about working with a Freeport burn injury from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P from those who know us best, our clients:
- “The firm provided me with excellent legal advice. They took the time to answer all my questions, professional staff, were easy to get a hold of, always called me back within a day if not sooner. Most importantly, walked away with my medical bills all paid for and then some. Very happy and strongly recommended.” – Andrew
- “First off Great communication from the very first phone call..stand up Lawyers…they included and kept me and my daughter updated on everything from paperwork to appointments…they treated us like Family…I feel they were excellent and well worth calling…fought tooth and nail for my daughter I applaud them, I will most definitely be telling family and friends about this Law firm……Me and my daughter are very pleased….thank you for a great job….” – Francine
The Clock is Ticking on Your Burn Injury Case
The clock immediately starts ticking after the occurrence of a burn injury. From the statewide personal injury statute of limitations to attending to each and every detail of building a solid case (e.g., gathering physical evidence, obtaining eyewitness statements, consulting with expert witnesses, etc.), ensuring that your case keeps moving forward is vital. Therefore, contact our firm when you’re ready to start. We’re ready to take your call.