If you or your child suffered injuries during your child’s birth, you have a right to seek compensation for any damages you suffered as a result. A Freeport birth injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. understands the complexities and sensitive nature of birth injury cases. We will shoulder this burden so that you can focus on healing, for both you and your child.
When childbirth is marred by trauma and injury, the consequences can be devastating. For some people, birth injuries are permanent and come with a lifetime of medical expenses and rehabilitative therapies. Regardless of the nature of your birth injury case, if it was the result of medical negligence, you deserve compensation. Contact us today at 516-932-0400 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
In This Article
- Types of Birth Injuries for Which You Can Recover Compensation
- How a Freeport, NY Birth Injury Lawyer Can Help
Types of Birth Injuries for Which You Can Recover Compensation
If medical negligence contributed to injuries during your pregnancy or during your child’s birth, we can help you recover compensation. There are many types of birth injuries ranging from minor and short-term to serious and chronic. It is common for minor bruising to occur during labor and delivery, but when injuries are more severe, they may be due to medical negligence. Common birth injuries we handle include:
- Facial paralysis: Excessive pressure applied with forceps during the delivery process may cause damage to the facial nerves, resulting in facial paralysis. When the nerve is only bruised, the paralysis typically clears up within a few weeks. If, however, a nerve was actually torn, your infant may require surgery.
- Brachial palsy: Another form of nerve damage, brachial palsy occurs when the group of nerves running to the arms and hands is damaged. This type of injury is often seen in cases of shoulder dystocia, which occurs when the newborn’s shoulder gets caught in the birth canal. In some cases, this injury repairs itself within months. If the nerve tears, the damage may be permanent, resulting in dysfunction of the affected shoulder and arm
- Head trauma: It is common for some bruising to occur when an obstetrician or other medical professional uses forceps or vacuum suction to extract the baby from the birth canal. If the medical professional used excessive force, however, head trauma can be serious, leading to permanent, debilitating disabilities.
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE): A form of brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation during the labor and delivery process, HIE often leads to permanent brain damage and disabilities.
- Cerebral palsy (CP): Also potentially caused by a lack of oxygen during the labor and delivery process, CP is a life-long disability linked to birth asphyxia, infection, and birth trauma.
Other conditions, including epilepsy and developmental disabilities, are also linked to birth injuries. A Freeport, NY birth injury lawyer can help you determine your rights and options if you or your child suffered harm during labor or delivery.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Freeport, call 516-932-0400
Proving the Existence of Medical Malpractice
The physical and emotional pain following a birth injury can be devastating, and costly. If you are unable to work for an extended period of time, whether to care for your injured child or to heal your own injuries, the loss of income can be disastrous. Further, if your child’s injuries are severe enough to require extensive medical care, physical therapy, and even quality-of-life care, the costs can be astronomical.
If physician or hospital negligence played a role in your injuries, a Freeport, NY birth injury lawyer can bring a medical malpractice lawsuit against the responsible party or parties.
As with all types of personal injury lawsuits, there are certain criteria that must be present for a successful medical malpractice lawsuit. These criteria are:
- The existence of a doctor-patient relationship: The physician or medical personnel in question must have been treating you as a patient. . If the doctor in question is your obstetrician or a part of their team, you have satisfied this criterion.
- Negligence by the doctor: Getting injured can happen even when a doctor does everything right. If, however, the doctor did not act in the way that a competent doctor would have, under the same circumstances, they may have been negligent.
- The physician’s negligence caused your injury.
- You suffered damages as a result.
If your child passed away due to birth injuries, you may be able to recover compensation through a wrongful death act. We will represent you withcompassion and fight to recover the compensation you need and the justice your child deserves.
Freeport Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
How a Freeport, NY Birth Injury Lawyer Can Help
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will fight tirelessly to hold at-fault parties accountable. Our compassionate, dedicated legal team will seek the maximum compensation available so that you can focus on healing. Our multilingual team can communicate with you in English, Greek, Spanish, Tamil, Bengali, or Kannada.
We will negotiate with the insurance companies to get you a fair settlement out of court, but if we must, we will take your case all the way to trial. Our legal team will thoroughly review the details of your case, and work with expert witnesses to position your case for the most favorable outcome possible so that you may receive the full amount of compensation that you are entitled to.
You have a limited time frame within which to file a lawsuit in the state of New York. Do not make the mistake of missing an important deadline by waiting too long to talk to a lawyer. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will protect your rights and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Do not go through this difficult time alone. Contact us today at 516-932-0400 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.