If medical negligence injured you or your baby, you may be able to obtain compensation for any injuries suffered. Although any kind of personal injury may be traumatic, birth injuries can be particularly devastating. Serious injuries to a newborn can turn what is supposed to be a joyous occasion into a nightmare.
The legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has been representing clients in birth injury cases for decades. In addition to having an impressive track record of obtaining substantial settlements for our clients, our New Cassel birth injury lawyers understand the emotional complexities of these cases.
We will be by your side throughout the entire process. Contact us today at 516-932-0400 to determine your rights and options.
When the negligence of a doctor or other health care provider has caused harm to you or your baby, we believe they should be held accountable for their actions. Although financial compensation cannot erase the trauma of a birth injury, it can provide you with the time needed to stay home with your baby during the healing process. In more serious cases that involve lifetime care, financial compensation can also help you reduce or eliminate the stress of this added financial obligation.
In This Article
- Common Birth Injuries
- How a New Cassel, NY Birth Injury Lawyer Will Help
- Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
Common Birth Injuries
Fortunately, many birth injuries are minor and will heal on their own with time and minimal care. There are, however, more serious birth injuries that can result in physical and emotional pain and suffering, the need to miss work, and extensive medical expenses. If medical negligence was involved, you may be able to obtain compensation for all of these damages. Some of the most common serious birth injuries include:
- Facial paralysis: Traumatic labor or the use of forceps with excessive force can damage an infant’s facial nerves. In minor cases, the bruised nerve will improve in a few weeks. If, however, the nerve was torn, surgery may be necessary to repair the damage. In rare cases, facial paralysis is permanent.
- Brachial palsy: When the group of nerves running from the spinal cord to the arms and hands is injured, the infant may develop brachial palsy. If the nerves were just stretched, the injury should heal within a few months. However, if nerves were torn or ripped entirely from their root, nerve damage could be permanent, and could even result in paralysis.
- Bone fractures: It is common for the collarbone to be fractured during difficult deliveries. This type of injury is usually minor and heals within about 10 days. More serious fractures, however, can result in painful and debilitating issues that can take weeks or months to heal, leading to extensive medical costs.
- Brain injuries: When a physician fails to monitor an infant during or immediately after birth properly, oxygen deprivation can lead to brain injuries. Sadly, many of these injuries have a lifelong impact.
- Cerebral palsy: One of the most devastating birth injuries, cerebral palsy is a lifelong motor disorder characterized by a lack of muscle control and coordination. Affecting up to four out of every 1,000 births, cerebral palsy is often the result of oxygen deprivation and is commonly caused by medical negligence. When physicians or other health care providers fail to diagnose infections during pregnancy, use excessive force with forceps or vacuum extraction during the delivery process, or fail to properly monitor the fetus during labor and delivery, birth injuries such as cerebral palsy can occur.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving New Cassel, call 516-932-0400
How a New Cassel, NY Birth Injury Lawyer Will Help
If your baby’s birth injury has resulted in damages, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and/or lost wages, you may be able to obtain compensation. The level of compensation you are entitled to depends largely on the extent of damages you suffered.
When a birth injury occurs due to medical malpractice, you must be able to prove fault. This can be a complex matter and attempting to move forward without a New Cassel birth injury lawyer is not in your best interest. For your birth injury claim to be successful, you must be able to show the following:
- The doctor or other health care provider owed you a duty of care. In birth injury cases, this is an easy one to prove. If a doctor-patient relationship existed, by the nature of this contract, the doctor owed you a duty of care.
- The doctor or other health care provider breached this duty of care. If your doctor did not provide treatment that was consistent with the generally accepted standard of care the failure to do so may be deemed to have constituted medical negligence/malpractice.
- The breach of duty caused the injury, and you suffered actual damages as a result. Damages may include medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will work diligently to help you prove fault and obtain the best possible settlement. If the at-fault party(ies) refuse to agree to the settlement you deserve, settlement, we are prepared to take your case to court. Our team of New Cassel birth injury lawyers will deal with the tough stuff on your behalf, from gathering evidence to negotiating with insurance companies and other involved parties. We are here for you.
New Cassel Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we know how emotionally sensitive birth injury cases can be. Our team of New Cassel birth injury lawyers will help you in your time of need.
We strive, every step of the way, to minimize the stress you are facing. You have been through enough; let us take over for you. Our multilingual staff can communicate with you in a variety of languages, including English and Spanish, Tamil, Greek, Kannada, and Bengali.
Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at 516-932-0400 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.