Among the most common of the severe injuries that often result from a bicycle accident include those that involve the head, according to the Insurance Institute for Highways Safety (IIHS). Head injuries include traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), concussions, skull fractures, swelling (edema), bleeding on the brain, and contusions.
IIHS also reports that 62% of 843 bicyclists killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2019 were not wearing helmets, underscoring the importance of wearing a helmet when riding a bike.
In This Article
- Bicyclists Are at Risk of Suffering Injuries Anywhere on the Body
- Seek Medical Attention for Your Injuries As Soon As Possible After an Accident
- Healing from Bicycle Injuries Costs Time and Money
- Recovering Damages in a Bicycle Accident Case
- How Our Firm Will Help You Take Legal Action in Your Bicycle Accident Case
- Take Legal Action for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries Today
Bicyclists Are at Risk of Suffering Injuries Anywhere on the Body
Bicyclists involved in a collision with a driver or other party, including other cyclists and pedestrians, are at risk of severe injuries due to a general lack of protection. Aside from head injuries, other injuries that commonly happen in bicycle accidents include:
- Crushed or broken bones: Bicyclists may fracture the bones in their wrists, collar, feet, fingers, hands, or legs, as these areas are typically unprotected. Bone fractures take time to heal, and these injuries range from simple to complex. Per Mayo Clinic, the type of treatment a person receives for a broken leg, for example, will depend on where the break is and what kind of break it is.
- Internal bleeding or organ damage: Blunt force trauma, falls, broken bones, and other conditions could lead to internal bleeding in the body. An imaging test will confirm internal bleeding and organ damage, such as a punctured lung. A physician might order additional tests so they can prescribe the best treatment to stop it, per Healthline.
- Facial and dental injuries: These injuries include a broken jawbone, a broken nose, or even broken cheekbones and teeth. Facial reconstructive surgery can cost a person thousands of dollars depending on the extent of the damage and the procedure.
- Chest injuries: A person could suffer damage to the chest if they are struck from behind and forced into their bicycle’s handlebars, another part of their bike, to the ground, or to some other nearby object. This could result in broken ribs or lung injuries, among other issues.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Damage to the back or spinal cord could cause severe pain due to dislocating or fracturing the vertebrae. A person could also suffer permanent paralysis from this type of injury, requiring extensive care for the rest of their lives.
- Road rash: This condition is another name for skin abrasions where the skin has been scraped off after hitting gravel on the road or some other hard surface. Although it is a minor injury compared to the others, it can still cause severe discomfort.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Seek Medical Attention for Your Injuries As Soon As Possible After an Accident
You should seek prompt medical treatment for any injuries after a biking accident, including those that appear minor. Even if you don’t feel like you suffered a serious injury, it is worth having a doctor examine you to confirm your health status. Accident victims have been known to feel fine shortly after the accident but then go on to experience serious medical problems from what were once seemingly minor injuries.
Transportation accidents involving bicycle riders are widely viewed as preventable, but deaths have increased in the 10-year period between 2010 and 2019, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). Therefore, practicing bicycle safety, which includes the use of a helmet, should be encouraged
Healing from Bicycle Injuries Costs Time and Money
All of the injuries listed above vary in severity, but they all might put someone in the hospital or a physical rehabilitation facility for a considerable time. Injuries are expensive to treat, and in most cases, victims will pay high medical bills, miss time at work, and endure other losses that could permanently change their lives. For example, bike accident victims could still suffer chronic pain and discomfort after receiving medical treatment.
You want to explore your legal options if the accident occurred due to someone else’s negligence. You should not be forced to pay for the resulting expenses and losses when someone else caused them. Our attorneys will take prompt action against the liable party and seek damages that could help you or a loved one recover from the accident.
Recovering Damages in a Bicycle Accident Case
Any damages a person recovers from a personal injury case will depend on the specifics of their situation. If you decide to seek legal action after a bicycle accident, our firm is here to offer support. We will start by reviewing your accident and injuries to determine what you could qualify to recover and the best way to proceed.
Depending on your accident, you could receive compensation for the following through an insurance claim or a lawsuit:
- Medical expenses: These expenses include past, present, and future care for your medical needs.
- Lost wages and benefits: You could request compensation for the days you missed at work to recover from your bike injuries.
- Scarring and disfigurement: This damage type could compensate you if the bicycle accident altered your physical appearance in any way.
- Property damage: Your bicycle and other damaged belongings need to be repaired or replaced.
- Pain and suffering: If the bicycle accident has caused you physical, mental, and emotional pain, you could seek monetary damages to compensate you and help pay for therapy and counseling.
Our team will review your accident and the damages you incurred during your free consultation.
Recovering Wrongful Death Damages in Fatal Bicycle Accidents
If you lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, we extend our heartfelt condolences to you and are truly sorry for your loss. We would consider it an honor to fight on behalf of the surviving family members of the bicycle accident wrongful death victim. We will file your case by the filing deadline for either a wrongful death action or an injury case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Our Firm Will Help You Take Legal Action in Your Bicycle Accident Case
Working with an injury lawyer on your bicycle accident case will help ensure that your rights are protected as you hold the accountable party liable for the harm you suffered. If you hire us to represent you, we will:
- Ensure you receive regular updates about your case
- Identify the party or parties in the accident
- Communicate with all parties on your behalf
- Gather evidence to prove your position
- Determine a value for the case after reviewing your accident damages
We will also consult with expert witnesses if needed, such as:
- Medical experts
- Vocational rehabilitation specialists
- Life-care planners
Take Legal Action for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries Today
If negligence, carelessness, or recklessness caused your bicycle accident, we want to help you hold the liable parties accountable. Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., today for a free consultation at (516) 932-0400.
We will explain your rights and the legal options that are available to you. Our multilingual staff is also able to speak with you in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada if you prefer a language other than English.