These are the most important things you can do to protect your rights after a motorcycle accident:
- Call the police so that a police accident report can be prepared
- If safe to do so, take photographs of the involved vehicles showing the points of impact, positions in the roadway, license plates, and window registration stickers
- Go to the emergency room (if your injuries are or could be urgent)
- Talk to our law firm about your rights
- Hire a lawyer from our team to fight for compensation on your behalf
- A Personal Injury Lawyer From Our Team Will Protect Your Rights
- Your Motorcycle Accident Might Entitle You to Compensation
- Take Steps to Protect Your Rights And Health After a Motorcycle Accident
- Call Our Law Firm to Help You With Your Motorcycle Accident Case
- Connect With Our Law Firm Today
A Personal Injury Lawyer From Our Team Will Protect Your Rights
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you are not alone. The Institute for Traffic Safety Management Research (ITSMR) reports that 3,608 motorcyclists and/or motorcycle passengers were injured in New York state in 2019.
One thing you can do to protect your rights is to get in touch with our law firm as soon as you are able. We will help you with your case by:
- Keeping you updated: Whenever there is progress or a change in your case, we will let you know and answer whatever questions you have about it.
- Identifying the liable parties: Your accident might have one liable party or several. Our team will identify all of them.
- Communicating with everyone on your behalf: An attorney from our team will serve as a “middleman” in all communications between you and the liable party.
- Finding evidence: The sooner you contact our law firm, the better our chances of collecting evidence—such as witness statements and surveillance video, which can often become more difficult to obtain as time goes on—to support your case.
- Assigning a value to your case: Our legal team will calculate every type of damage you qualify to recover. This way, you can ask for the appropriate amount of compensation to address your damages.
While our team accomplishes all of the above, we hope you will focus on what matters: completing medical treatment, healing from your injuries, and rebuilding your post-motorcycle accident life.
After a motorcycle accident resulted in injuries, the last thing on your mind is filing paperwork, dealing with the state’s statute of limitations, and negotiating with the other party’s insurance company and attorneys. Let your Long Island motorcycle accident lawyer handle experts’ testimonies, witness depositions, discovery, and settlement negotiations. Sometimes, your attorney will launch a thorough investigation to prove liability and deal with the other party’s delaying techniques. All you need to do is get better and follow your legal team’s recommendations.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Your Motorcycle Accident Might Entitle You to Compensation
The most likely source of compensation that you may receive will be paid out by the liable party’s insurance company. The compensation you could qualify for falls into two categories:
Damages For Monetary Losses
Economic damages include any financial losses your accident injuries caused. Common examples include but are not limited to:
- Loss of income: This is for anyone whose injuries kept them home from work for days, weeks, or months.
- Loss of earning capacity: Your injuries have permanently hampered your ability to earn a living, forcing you to work fewer hours or accept a lower-paying job.
- Cost of medical care: If you received any type of medical treatment or need treatment in the future, you could be compensated.
- Cost of repair: You could be reimbursed for the expense of repairing or replacing the motorcycle that was damaged in the accident.
Damages For Non-Monetary Losses
Non-economic damages include any physical and mental injuries you developed due to your collision. The most common examples of non-economic damages are:
- Pain and suffering: Your injuries took a toll on you in that they were physically and mentally distressing. Pain and suffering can also include:
- Impaired quality of life: You are no longer able to take care of yourself or live independently as you once did.
- Disfigurement: Your injuries caused serious scarring.
- Disability: Your injuries caused or worsened any physical or intellectual disability.
Take Steps to Protect Your Rights And Health After a Motorcycle Accident
As already discussed, retaining a lawyer is one way to protect your rights. However, the first step you should take after an accident is to see a doctor. Why? Receiving prompt medical attention will:
- Give you the best possible chance of a complete recovery
- Detect seemingly minor injuries that, without treatment, can develop into far more serious injuries
- Reassure you that all injuries have been taken care of
- Create a record of your accident and injuries
Medical records are an important potential source of evidence in your lawsuit. Along with other types of evidence, it will show that:
- Your accident happened when, where, and how you claim it did.
- Your accident caused your injuries and/or worsened preexisting conditions.
- Your injuries required the medical treatments for which you are seeking compensation.
- The liable party was at fault and should pay you damages.
Call Our Law Firm to Help You With Your Motorcycle Accident Case
Per New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, you have the right to sue for damages after an accident, but only for a limited time. While this section of law sets forth the general statute of limitations, certain case types involve a much shorter statute of limitations. To protect your right to sue and ensure that crucial evidence is not destroyed, we urge you to reach out to us as soon as possible for a free case review and consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Connect With Our Law Firm Today
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you protect your rights after a motorcycle accident for no upfront fees. Call our office at (516) 932-0400 for a free case review.
Our multilingual staff would be happy to assist you in whatever language you are most comfortable with, including Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada.