Birth injuries may occur at any time during pregnancy, labor, delivery, or immediately after birth. Although a genetic disorder causes some birth injuries, others are the result of medical error.
If your family suspects medical error or negligence as a factor in a birth injury, an Oceanside birth injury lawyer will help. As your legal advocates, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will investigate your case and determine if a medical provider or facility contributed to the birth injury.
For a free consultation, call (516) 932-0400. A member of our team will meet with you at your home on Long Island or in the greater New York City area if that is more convenient for you.
In This Article
- Common Types of Birth Injury
- How Our Birth Injury Lawyers Help Recover Compensation
- Proving Liability in a Birth Injury Case
- Damages You Might Be Entitled to Recover
- We Recover Damages on a Contingency Basis
Common Types of Birth Injury
Our legal team accepts birth injury cases to help clients recover compensation for physical, emotional, and financial damages.
We have helped families whose children suffered from many birth injuries. Stanford Children’s Hospital lists some common but often preventable types of birth injuries:
- Shoulder dystocia occurs when a baby is too large to deliver through the birth canal, and one or both shoulders are impacted against the mother’s pelvic bone
- Brain damage is caused by a lack of oxygen during labor or delivery and usually leaves a child with physical and intellectual impairment
- Cerebral palsy occurs when normal brain development in a fetus is affected, and it stunts or impairs a child’s physical and intellectual growth
- Erb’s palsy is a condition caused by nerve damage during birth and may leave a child with one or both arms partially or completely paralyzed
- Bell’s palsy is an uncommon but disturbing neurological condition that affects nerves in the face
- Spinal cord injuries may occur during a long or difficult delivery and can lead to lifelong health problems
- Hypoxia is a lack of oxygen before, during, or after delivery, and can lead to permanent brain and other organ damage
- Neonatal death within 28 days of delivery may occur if the baby sustained significant trauma or injury
To find out if you are entitled to compensation for birth trauma or injury, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a free consultation at (516) 932-0400.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Oceanside, call 516-932-0400
How Our Birth Injury Lawyers Help Recover Compensation
Proving liability in a birth injury claim or a lawsuit is a complex process. You should look for a birth injury law firm that has resources and staff to investigate, negotiate, or litigate on your behalf.
Our process for recovering compensation for your family often includes:
- Reviewing thoroughly the actions and events that took place during your prenatal care, labor, delivery, and after childbirth
- Obtaining testimony from medical experts on the nature, severity, and prognosis for your child’s injuries and related medical condition
- Evaluating your current and future necessary expenses that you will face as you care for your child’s physical, emotional, and educational well-being
Depending upon the unique circumstances of your case, to help us with our investigation into potential liability and wrongdoing, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will consult prenatal and neonatal specialists. We will also investigate the background of your medical providers for prior issues, complaints, or violations.
Oceanside Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Proving Liability in a Birth Injury Case
The birth of a child typically involves more than one healthcare provider. An Oceanside birth injury lawyer will identify all liable parties with consideration of the following factors:
- The medical provider(s) owed you and your baby a duty of care, with adherence to accepted medical practices.
- The medical provider(s) attending you and your child breached this duty in some way, either by omission or neglect.
- This negligence caused birth injury to occur.
- Your family has medical bills and other damages directly related to a birth injury or trauma.
We will pursue compensation and justice from all those who played a role in this incident. Our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. takes care of the many details so that you focus on you and your family. For a free consultation, please call (516) 932-0400.
Damages You Might Be Entitled to Recover
Damages in a birth injury lawsuit include economic and noneconomic losses. A birth injury lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will evaluate your case and seek damages that include:
- Past and future medical expenses including surgical procedures, occupational therapy, counseling, in-home care, special vehicles or equipment, and home modifications
- Lifecare expenses
- Lost wages if you needed to take off work
- Diminished earning ability
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
A birth injury puts your child’s health, well-being, and future at stake. Most families do not have the resources to offset these damages for the rest of their child’s expected lifetime.
Our Birth Injury Lawyers Focus on Key Areas Where Your Family Needs Help
As indicated by the facts of your case, a birth injury lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will consult with medical and vocational experts, economists, and lifecare planners to determine an amount for your current and future expenses.
We focus on these critical areas:
- Physical health
- Emotional health
- Educational needs
- Vocational needs
- Lifecare aid
It is our goal to recover the compensation you deserve after a medical error costs you and your family so much pain. For a free consultation, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Recover Damages on a Contingency Basis
There are no upfront fees when you hire a birth injury lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. You owe attorney fees only if we are successful in recovering compensation on your behalf.
Rest assured knowing that our firm will:
- Keep you updated about your case with a team fluent in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada
- Identify all liable parties who are responsible for the birth injury
- Communicate with liable parties to spare you more stress
- Collect evidence to prove a liability with testimony and documentation
- Determine the value of your damages that includes future medical care
Since 1991, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has helped injured and disabled people recover compensation on Long Island and in the New York metropolitan area. An Oceanside birth injury lawyer from our firm looks forward to helping you and your family. You may have a limited time to act under New York Civil Practice Laws and Rules §. 214-A.
For a free consultation, call (516) 932-0400.