If you were recently in a car accident in Freeport and sustained serious injuries, you are entitled to take legal action against the at-fault driver or another liable party. A personal injury lawyer from our team will prepare your accident case and fight for compensation on your behalf.
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our lawyers serve people in Freeport and surrounding cities on Long Island as well as the greater New York metropolitan area. It will be our privilege to provide you with a free consultation to discuss your case and relay what options you have to collect compensation. Once you agree to work with us, we will start building your case right away.
In This Article
- Our Legal Team Will Explain Which Damages Are Compensated
- We Aim to Negotiate Compensation for Your Damages with the Insurer
- Our Legal Team Will Fulfill Several Services to Prepare Your Case for Litigation
- We Will Help File a Lawsuit Against the Defendant on Time
- Common Causes of Car Accidents in New York Stem from Negligence
- You Are Entitled to Compensation if You Suffered a Serious Injury in the Accident
- Start Building Your Car Accident Case By Calling Our Law Firm Today
Our Legal Team Will Explain Which Damages Are Compensated
Many plaintiffs in car accident cases are concerned with recovering the expenses for fixing their vehicle or treating their injuries; however, these are not the only types of damages that entitle you to compensation. With guidance from our team, you will learn more about which losses are recoverable by law.
Our team will review your damages and calculate their financial value—even for losses that do not initially have a financial value on their own, such as pain and suffering. You could recover compensation for the following types of damages:
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Value of personal property damaged or lost in the car accident
- Current and future medical expenses
- Costs for prescription medicines and pain meds
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement, including scarring and burn marks
- Impaired earning capacity due to accident-related injuries
- Costs for domestic care services, such as home care, childcare, or lawn care services
- Diminished quality/loss of enjoyment of life
If we discover other compensatory damages in your case, we will demand those amounts when seeking compensation. By understanding the damages you have suffered that are unique to your circumstances, we are able to tailor our representation of your interests to your specific situation.
You Are Entitled to Wrongful Death Damages if You Lost a Loved One
If your loved one died as the result of injuries sustained in a car accident, we extend to you our heartfelt condolences. You have the right to file a wrongful death action, depending on your relationship with the victim. These types of cases are similar to personal injury cases, but plaintiffs have the right to seek additional damages to address the impact of their loved one’s loss.
These damages include:
- Costs for funeral arrangements and related services
- Medical debts inherited from the loved one
- Loss of financial income and benefits the loved one provided to the family
- Loss of parental guidance or companionship
- Loss of consortium (These are the special types of losses, recognized by law, that a person experiences when their spouse is a wrongful death victim.)
We will handle the case on your behalf with compassion and total focus on winning the damages you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
We Will Consult Experts to Assess Certain Damages
Certain damages require additional insight to reach an appropriate value, so our team will consult with expert witnesses who could provide testimony for your case. These individuals include:
- Economists: We will refer to economists to provide guidance on salary trends and projected losses you might experience if your injuries keep you out of work.
- Vocational rehabilitation specialists: If your injuries affect your working capabilities, we will consult vocational rehabilitation specialists to testify on the potential effects on your career in the future.
- Life-care planners: Life-care planners assess individual disabilities and chronic health conditions. We will consult these parties if your injury causes you to develop a long-term or permanent disability or illness.
- Medical experts: If your injuries require ongoing treatment, we will consult medical experts for statements about the types of treatment you might need, what obstacles or complications might occur, and how long you will need to undergo treatment.
We will consult other types of expert witnesses if necessary.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Freeport, call 516-932-0400
We Aim to Negotiate Compensation for Your Damages with the Insurer
You do not have to talk to anyone from any insurance company when our car accident lawyers handle your case.
An attorney from our firm will negotiate with the insurance company of the at-fault or liable party on your behalf and work to reach a settlement for you if possible. However, if the insurance adjuster fails to agree to an appropriate settlement, we are prepared to file a lawsuit against the defendant to continue seeking compensation.
Freeport Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Our Legal Team Will Fulfill Several Services to Prepare Your Case for Litigation
While our team will help calculate your damages and consult relevant parties, we will also provide several other services, including:
- Informing you of new updates in the case
- Investigating the car accident to see who is at fault or held liable for your injuries and damages
- Speaking with the various parties involved, including adversarial parties, on your behalf to protect your rights and the integrity of your case (i.e., protecting you from providing statements, even seemingly innocent statements, that would be used against you.)
- Collecting evidence to support your claims
- Preparing other legal materials required in the case
As mentioned, we will assign a personal injury lawyer to handle the case and advocate for your legal interests. They will demand compensation for the damages you suffered in your car accident in Freeport. This representation involves appearing in legal proceedings to either negotiate a potential settlement or present the case to a judge and jury.
We Will Help File a Lawsuit Against the Defendant on Time
New York’s statute of limitations, found in New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214, limits the time you have after a car accident to take legal action for your injuries. If you are filing on behalf of your late loved one, you would need to abide by a separate deadline for wrongful death actions, found in Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1.
It is important to note that car accident claims and lawsuits are governed by other statutes and various rules that pertain to deadlines in addition to the ones mentioned above.
We encourage you to embark on the quest for compensation early so that you have enough time to prepare and submit your case. If you do not manage to file a lawsuit by the filing deadline, then:
- The opposing party would request dismissal of the case, which would absolve them of any liability for your damages.
- You would have to pay for your damages since you would be barred from collecting compensation.
Our team will take appropriate steps to submit your case on time and make sure all other applicable deadlines are met in a timely and technically correct manner, provided you take action as soon as possible to work with us.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New York Stem from Negligence
Driver error represents the greatest single cause of car accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The term “driver error” encompasses several types of behaviors, including:
- Distracted driving
- Driving drunk or under the influence
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving too fast for road conditions
- Tire blowout
- Reckless driving
- Improper turns
- Road rage
- Running red light
If we discover the other driver caused the accident due to their negligence on the road, we will collect evidence to support this argument against them.
Other Car Accident Causal Factors
Outside of driver error, several other variables could factor into a car accident, such as the following:
- Poorly maintained road
- Inadequate lighting
- Faulty/defective car components
- Road construction
Regardless of what caused your car accident, our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will identify who is at fault and liable for your damages.
You Are Entitled to Compensation if You Suffered a Serious Injury in the Accident
Many car accidents produce wide-ranging injuries, affecting just about any part of the body. The most common injuries we see from our car accident clients include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue (e.g., nerves, muscles, tendons, ligaments) injuries
- Spinal injuries to the neck and back
- Burn injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Injuries to the various joints (e.g., shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle)
- Any combination of the above leading to loss of range of motion or otherwise resulting in functional limitations
The cost of treating these injuries could be high. Moreover, some treatments will be ongoing, while others will not even take place until well into the future.
The legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will request and obtain copies of your medical records. As indicated by the case’s unique circumstances, we will enlist the testimony of medical professionals and other experts about the impact of your injuries beyond the time frame of your legal action.
Always See a Doctor When Injured
The severity of your injuries after a car accident might not be immediately apparent, which is why it is vital to consult a medical physician soon after if you have any symptoms whatsoever. Some injuries take days or weeks to develop into significantly painful conditions.
Reasons why you should seek prompt medical attention after a car accident include:
- Your physical symptoms could worsen and become severe injuries if left untreated.
- Going to the doctor will create a paper trail that documents the car accident as the primary cause of your injuries.
- It will be hard to prove that your injuries warrant compensation if you never sought medical attention for them.
We will calculate the costs of your medical treatment and include them in your compensation total, so do not let finances deter you from getting the help you need.
Start Building Your Car Accident Case By Calling Our Law Firm Today
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., today for a free, no-obligation consultation with our team member. Our multilingual staff assists clients in several languages, including Greek, Kannada, Tamil, Spanish, English, and Bengali. Remember, we will not charge you for our services unless and until you receive compensation in your accident case.
If you would like a car accident lawyer from our team to serve you in Freeport and work on your case, call (516) 932-0400.