If you sustained injuries in a car accident in New York, you may be entitled to collect compensation from the person who caused the accident or another party with legal liability. Accident victims in New York can pursue compensation through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. It is in your best interest to consult with an experienced and dedicated New York car accident lawyer to fully understand your options.
If you retain the services of a .car accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will fight for the compensation you deserve. Our legal team represents people in greater New York City, on Long Island, and in other surrounding areas, and we have staff members who can assist clients that speak Spanish, Bengali, Greek, Tamil, and Kannada. We also offer free case reviews.
In This Article
- Your New York Car Accident Case May Entitle You to Multiple Types of Damages
- The Benefits of Working With a Car Accident Lawyer in New York
- New York Has a Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Cases
- Identifying Fault and Proving Liability for Your Car Accident in New York
- We Accept All Types of Car Accident Cases in New York City and the Surrounding Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Claims in NY
- Free Consultation for Your Car Accident Case in New York
Your New York Car Accident Case May Entitle You to Multiple Types of Damages
One of the first things our team will do for you as our client is assess the kinds of damages you experienced during and since your personal injury in New York.
Our injury lawyers want to be as thorough as possible when accounting for your damages, as we will be assigning values based on their costs or financial equivalent. The total value we reach will then be used as we develop our settlement goal for your case.
Some factors to consider when assessing your damages include:
- Which damages already have a financial value (economic damages) and which do not (non-economic damages)?
- Will you continue to experience damages related to your injuries? If so, for how long?
- How have your damages affected your interpersonal relationships and lifestyle?
- What evidence can we use to show the extent of damage you suffered since your car accident?
Our New York car accident lawyers can discuss your compensable damages and our methods of calculating them with you in a consultation.
Types of Compensable Damages Following an NY Auto Accident
The following are different types of compensable damages you might claim in your car accident case:
- Medical treatment costs
- Lost wages and benefits
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
If you require additional treatment or ongoing care, or if your injuries prevent you from returning to work or resuming your prior job duties, you may also have the right to recover compensation for the following:
- Cost of future medical care
- Projected value of future income and benefits losses
- Diminished earning capacity
- Diminished quality of life
Our New York personal injury attorneys also pursue damages for any permanent injury, disability, or disfigurement you sustained.
Car Accident Cases Involving a Wrongful Death
Accident victims who survive their injuries can file a personal injury claim or lawsuit to pursue compensation. However, in cases where the victims were not able to survive their injuries, their loved ones may file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit on their behalf to recover their losses. If the wrongful death of a loved one is what has led you to our website, we extend our heartfelt condolences to you. We are committed to fighting for the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Wrongful death losses frequently include:
- Medical debts related to the decedent’s injuries
- Funeral service expenses
- Loss of consortium (That is, the special damages suffered when a spouse is the victim of wrongful death.)
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of parental guidance and/or compassion
If your loved one passed away from their car accident injuries, our lawyers stand ready to pursue a wrongful death claim on your behalf. You can explore your options at no obligation during a free case review with our NY car accident team.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving New York, call 516-932-0400
The Benefits of Working With a Car Accident Lawyer in New York
Since 1991, we have fought to obtain the best possible results for our clients. As passionate advocates for the injured, we provide personalized legal services to help you obtain the best outcome.
Our auto accident lawyers can support you by:
Communicating and Providing Case Updates
We communicate with you throughout the legal process, including updates about important developments and milestones in your case. Also, you can always feel free to call or email us with any questions or concerns.
Identifying Fault and Proving Liability
We investigate and analyze the circumstances of your accident to identify the party or parties who caused or contributed to it. We prove liability for your damages by demonstrating how they breached their legal duty of care through wrongful or negligent action.
Dealing With All Parties on Your Behalf
Our New York accident team manages every aspect of your case and communicates with all parties on your behalf, including the insurance company, other attorneys, and anyone else involved in the case. We handle every detail of your case. You focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence for Your Car Accident
We begin by investigating the details of your road accident and gathering evidence to support the case. We know that a well-supported case helps us recover the maximum possible compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Establishing Value for Your Damages
To ensure you recover compensation for all damages you sustained, our lawyers will identify your physical, economic, and emotional damages and document each one to establish value. We carefully detail your damages to ensure we build a strong personal injury case for you.
Managing Your Case
Throughout the legal process, your car accident lawyer and the legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will be there for you, attending to all claim and litigation details so that you may focus on getting the comprehensive medical treatment you need to recover from your injuries. We protect your rights and fight for the results you deserve.
New York Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
New York Has a Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Cases
You have a limited time to file legal action and take other critical steps to protect your rights after being in a car accident in New York. For example, you must file an application for No-Fault Benefit within 30 days or file a Notice of Claim within 90 days if a municipality is involved.
Other legal deadlines include:
- New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214 for filing a personal injury lawsuit
- Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1 for filing a wrongful death lawsuit on a loved one’s behalf
If you fail to file within New York’s statutes of limitations or act within other applicable periods of time restriction, you may be unable to recover the full extent of compensation that you might be entitled to receive. You can rest easy knowing that our car accident attorneys can manage your case’s deadlines.
Identifying Fault and Proving Liability for Your Car Accident in New York
Our auto accident attorneys will identify the party or parties who caused your accident. To prove liability, we demonstrate the following elements:
- The at-fault party was obligated to act reasonably, to prevent subjecting you to unreasonable harm.
- The at-fault party failed to act reasonably due to carelessness, recklessness, or negligence, subjecting you to harm.
- The at-fault party’s actions caused your car accident and the resulting injuries, making the at-fault party liable for your damages.
We document fault and liability using evidence and information that may include:
- Police reports
- Surveillance video
- Witness statements
- Expert opinions
Once we establish fault and liability, we will document the damages you incurred as a result.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Accept All Types of Car Accident Cases in New York City and the Surrounding Areas
The car accident lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. handle all types of car accident cases in greater New York City and the surrounding areas, including Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Car accident cases our lawyers handle include those involving:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Fatigued driving
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Illegal lane changes
- Illegal turns
- Failure to yield
- Disregarding traffic signals
- Car lift accidents
We also assist clients who sustained injuries in car accidents caused by roadway hazards and other factors, including:
- Improper maintenance
- Insufficient signage
- Obstructions or debris
- Insufficient traffic control devices
- Temporary road markings
- Automotive component defects
We begin by investigating the case to identify the at-fault party and prove liability. We identify and document your damages to build a strong, persuasive case. We handle every detail of the case and fight to recover the maximum possible compensation for your damages.
For over three decades the New York car accident attorneys at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. have advocated for our injured clients and helped them recover the compensation they deserve for their damages.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Claims in NY
When car accident claimants begin their free case reviews, they often ask:
When Should I Get a Car Accident Lawyer for My Case?
It’s your decision when to hire a personal injury attorney. You may consider seeking legal aid if:
- You’re concerned about filing an insurance claim without legal help.
- The liable insurer has already denied your claim.
- You don’t have sufficient evidence to supplement your case.
- You anticipate having problems with the liable insurer.
- You would prefer to minimize the stress of making a claim without experienced representation
- You simply want to win the best result possible
Our car accident team can start advocating for you at any point of the claims process.
How Long does It Take to Settle a Car Accident Claim in New York?
Your case’s progression depends on many factors unique to your situation, including:
- The availability of certain evidence
- The cause of your collision
- The severity of your condition
- The liable insurance carrier
- The cost of your damages
Our attorneys intend to keep your case moving forward. We can combat uncooperative insurance companies, unreliable witnesses, and other involved parties.
Can You Sue for a Car Accident in New York?
Generally, you can resolve a car accident claim through an insurance settlement. However, you have options for litigation if a lawsuit could yield compensation. Our lawyers can explore this possibility and pursue what you need.
Free Consultation for Your Car Accident Case in New York
Our car accident lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. understand your fears and concerns. We want to help you get the resources you need and fight to resolve your car accident case as quickly as possible. We do not collect attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation for your damages.
For a free consultation, contact us now. A personal injury lawyer from our team is ready to represent your car accident case in New York.