If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a slip or trip and fall in New York, whether as a local resident or a visitor, you may be entitled to collect compensation for your injuries and related damages. A personal injury lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will be able to inform you on which party or parties might hold liability for your accident, then help you file a claim or lawsuit against them.
Our legal team can review your slip and fall accident case and see what litigation options you have in New York to pursue compensation. Our initial case reviews are free and there is no obligation to work with our team. Should you decide to do so, our team can manage your case for you.
In This Article
- Recoverable Damages for a Slip, Trip, and Fall Injury Claim in New York
- Evidence that Can Support Your Claim for Damages
- Filing Slip and Fall Cases When You do Not Live in New York City
- A Trip and Fall Accident Lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., Will Help You
- We Handle All Types of Slip and Fall Accident Cases in Greater New York City
- How Your Slip and Fall Accident Was Caused Might Shape Your Case
- Consider Working With a Personal Injury Lawyer After Your Slip and Fall Accident
- Get a Free Consultation About Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in New York
Recoverable Damages for a Slip, Trip, and Fall Injury Claim in New York
Slip or trip and fall accidents can cause extensive injuries requiring comprehensive medical treatment and, potentially, long-term care. They can also prevent you from returning to your job or resuming your prior duties.
You may have grounds to recover damages that include:
- Emergency transport and medical treatment
- Medical testing and imaging
- Physician and surgeon care
- Hospitalization and surgical services
- Medications and medical devices
- Accessibility modifications to home or car
- Lost income and benefits
- Pain and suffering
For injuries that require further treatment or ongoing care, and for those that prevent you from resuming your job duties, our legal team will include:
- Future treatment and care costs
- Future income and benefits losses
- Diminished quality of life
- Diminished earning capacity
You may also be entitled to recover compensation for disabilities, permanent damage, disfigurement, etc.
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one passed away as a result of their injuries from the slip and fall, we extend to you our heartfelt condolences. We are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your loved one deserves. You or another qualifying surviving family member may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. This is a different type of legal action from a personal injury lawsuit, which is filed by the victim.
On behalf of your loved one, you may be able to pursue additional damages, such as:
- Funeral arrangement costs, including costs to bury or cremate your loved one
- Loss of current and future income from your loved one if they contributed to the family net worth
- Emotional losses related to their death, such as loss of companionship, guidance, love, and affection
- Pain and suffering they experienced until their passing
- Loss of consortium
Our legal team wants to extend our deepest condolences to you and your family as you try to get through this hard time. Allow us to manage your case while you cope privately.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving New York, call 516-932-0400
Evidence that Can Support Your Claim for Damages
To support the value of your case, we obtain income records, medical records, and expert opinions. Expert witnesses we may call upon include:
- Medical experts:These experts can provide testimony on your injuries, prognosis, and future treatment needs.
- Economists: These experts can provide an analysis on the value of your future financial losses.
- Lifecare planners:These experts can provide analysis of your future physical, emotional, and rehabilitation needs.
- Vocational specialists:These experts can provide testimony on your capacity to return to work or resume your job duties based on your injury status.
New York Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Filing Slip and Fall Cases When You do Not Live in New York City
If you were injured while visiting New York City, you might find the process of filing or managing an insurance claim or lawsuit stressful once you head back home, especially if you are also dealing with the aftermath of your injuries.
Laws Differ By Location
Even within counties in New York, laws can be different, so you might want to consider consulting an attorney from our firm if you are unfamiliar with the local laws in the city. However, if you do not live in New York City, you might be able to file your slip and fall case from your county or state. Our legal team will review your filing options and advise you accordingly.
Our law firm has successfully represented many people who were injured in New York and then had to return to other states or countries after the accident. One of our chief goals is to make everything as convenient as possible for you. We will handle every detail of your personal injury case. By relieving you of that stress, we hope that you will focus on recovering so that you can rebuild your life.
Out-Of-Network Medical Costs
An unexpected trip, slip, or fall accident might lead to a stack of sudden and ongoing medical expenses. However, if your health insurance is from a different state, you might be faced with out-of-network health coverage costs for the medical treatment you received.
Our legal team wants to help you fight for compensation to cover these inconvenient medical expenses, which might include costs for:
- Ambulance rides
- Emergency room visits
- Hospital stays
- Physician care
- Imaging exams, such as X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans
- Prescription medications
- Assistive medical devices
We will review your health insurance policy to see what its terms are on out-of-network medical care. If your injuries involve medical care not covered by your health insurance in general, such as dental work for example, we will also account for these expenses when calculating your damages.
Additional Economic Losses
In addition to the myriad of medical expenses that come with an unexpected injury, we will also consider the following when assessing your total damages as a non-resident of New York City. For example, the expense of extending your trip to New York City until you are physically able to travel home might also add these damages to your case:
- Costs to reschedule your flight back home, including flight cancellation and other related fees
- Costs for additional hotel stays
- Vehicle rental expenses
- Meal expenses
You can review every aspect of your injury-related expenses with a slip and fall accident lawyer from our law firm serving New York City. Our legal team will help you accurately assess the value of your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Click to contact our New York Personal Injury Lawyers today
A Trip and Fall Accident Lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., Will Help You
Since 1991, the personal injury lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., have fought to protect the rights of the injured. We want to help you fight for your right to recover compensation for your injuries and related damages.
Our services to you include:
Providing Updates About Your Case
Our legal team communicates with you throughout the legal process, answering your questions and providing updates about your case. We will inform you about:
- New evidence we discover for your case
- Court hearing dates or notices
- Messages from the opposing side or their insurance company
- Settlement offers
- Additional information we need from you to build your case
Should you want legal advice on a decision, such as whether to file a lawsuit or accept a settlement offer, we will explain potential outcomes and advise you based on your financial and personal interests.
Identifying the Liable Party
We identify all parties who had fault for your accident and establish liability by demonstrating how they failed to protect you from harm. Depending on where your slip and fall accident occurred, liable parties may range from individual, private property owners to commercial businesses.
Our legal team will investigate your accident and obtain evidence to help us identify the parties who caused or contributed to your injuries. We establish liability by demonstrating the following elements:
- Duty of care: The liable party had a duty to maintain their property in a safe manner or provide a clear warning of any potential hazards.
- Breach of duty:The liable party failed to uphold their obligation due to wrongful, careless, reckless, or negligent actions
- Causation:The at-fault party’s negligence caused your slip and fall accident, making them liable for all damages that resulted.
- Damages:You suffered economic, physical, or emotional damages.
Should your case involve multiple liable parties, we will review whether it might be viable to pursue more than one claim or lawsuit to pursue compensation.
Communicating With All Parties
We handle all details associated with your case, including communicating with all involved parties on your behalf. This allows us to provide catered responses that protect the rights of your personal injury case.
If the opposing party’s insurance company or legal representative reaches out to you for a statement, you can refer them to our legal team to answer these communications for you.
Investigating Your Accident
We use our network of resources to thoroughly investigate your case and obtain the evidence necessary to establish fault and liability and prove your damages. Evidence may include:
- Photos and video footage of the accident scene
- Accident reports
- Witness statements
- Property safety records
- Expert opinions
Calculating Recoverable Damages
We will calculate your recoverable damages, including physical, emotional, and financial losses, and use this as the basis for your claim’s value.
Negotiating an Appropriate Settlement for You
Calculating the value of your slip and fall accident case is only the first step in the settlement negotiation process. Dealing with the insurance company on your own can mean months of negotiations even after the value of your case is clear.
After determining the financial compensation you are entitled to, we take all the following steps on your behalf:
- Review the at-fault party’s insurance policy to understand its coverage limits
- Prepare a demand letter and submit it to the at-fault party and their insurance provider
- Handle the back-and-forth portion of the negotiation process
- Weigh the merits and feasibility of each monetary offer you receive
The final settlement decision is always yours to make. Our goal is to ensure you have the tools you need to make a well-informed decision and the best decision for you. That is why our client-focused team never stops fighting until we ensure you reach the best possible outcome of your case.
Working on a Contingency-Fee-Basis
Our law firm works for a contingency fee, meaning we do not collect any attorney’s fees unless and until you recover compensation for your injuries. This also means that:
- You do not have to pay any upfront legal fees to have us start working on your case.
- We discuss all of our fees before we start working on your case, so you do not have to worry about surprise fees.
- Our fees are paid through a percentage of your compensation award, so you never have to pay us out of your own finances.
- Because we charge by a percentage of your award, you do not have to worry about hourly lawyer rates.
One of our team representatives will explain our fee agreement system in full during your free consultation.
Our Free Consultation Lets Us Gather Important Information About Your Case
Every personal injury case we take on starts with a free consultation. It gives our team an opportunity to glean important details about your case and gives you the opportunity to learn about our law firm and the steps we take to build your case.
During your free consultation:
- You can tell our team the story of your accident in detail
- Inform us of any evidence you already have in your possession
- Ask questions you may have about our team and team members
- Understand the role you play in your case and in settlement negotiations
We make sure you receive answers to any questions you have and address any concerns. We will also glean as many details as possible to ensure we understand as much about your case as possible.
We also take time to explain our strategy for settling your case and what you can expect if it must go to court to get the resolution you are entitled to.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Handle All Types of Slip and Fall Accident Cases in Greater New York City
The personal injury lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., assist New York clients who sustained slip and fall accident injuries. Our slip and fall lawyers fight for your right to pursue compensation for your damages so that you can obtain the medical treatment and other resources you need to recover.
We handle all types of slip and fall injury cases, including those caused by:
- Unmarked steps and curbs
- Accumulated snow and ice
- Loose rugs and mats
- Unsecured cables
- Spills and accumulated moisture
- Insufficient lighting
- Broken steps
- Missing handrails
- Cracked or sunken concrete
- Broken asphalt and potholes
Personal Injury Cases Can Involve Multiple Types of Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), slip and fall accidents account for 800,000 hospitalized patients each year. Fall victims may suffer the following injuries, depending on the severity of the fall:
- Wrist injuries
- Broken limbs
- Torn tendons or ligaments
- Hip fractures
- Facial fractures, including teeth fractures
- Skull fractures
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
If you sustained any of the above injuries or another injury not listed here, we want to review your case.
We Stand Up to Property Owners on Behalf of Victims Like You
Property owners must repair hazards promptly and provide a clear warning of the problem until they are able to remedy it to ensure the safety of their visitors. This may involve posting warning signs, cordoning off the area, or placing cones to draw attention to the hazard.
If a property owner knew or should have known of a safety hazard but failed to take action to protect others, they may have liability for any resulting injuries and related damages. We want to help you stand up against the negligent property owner and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Your Slip and Fall Accident Was Caused Might Shape Your Case
Our legal team will investigate the physical cause of your slip and fall accident. By physical cause, we mean fall hazards, such as broken flooring, which can be a trip hazard or a chronic, unrepaired leak that makes a floor slick, which can be a slip hazard.
Other factors that can cause you to slip, trip, and fall include:
- Unseen debris
- Hidden hazards like ice or slippery spills
- Collisions with other people
- Collisions with inanimate objects
If you or a family member suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, you are entitled to know what caused the accident and whether it could have been prevented with ordinary care.
Our legal team will help you uncover the cause of your accident, assign liability, and identify the at-fault party. Once we establish who and what caused your slip and fall accident, we can then get to work on other aspects of your case, such as calculating your damages and retrieving evidence.
Consider Working With a Personal Injury Lawyer After Your Slip and Fall Accident
In the pain and confusion of a slip and fall accident, you might not know what to do at first. You should take these important actions to support your claim for compensation:
- Call the police or have a friend, family member, or bystander call for you.
- See a doctor after your slip and fall accident so that the event is documented in your medical records. This can also help prevent internal or other unnoticed injuries from worsening.
- Take sufficient photographs and video of the scene of the accident. Other things to document include dangerous conditions at the accident scene that caused your fall and your injuries.
- Obtain the names and contact information of anyone and everyone who witnessed the accident if available.
See Why Previous Clients Recommend Our Law Firm
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we work hard for clients whose lives are changed by accidental falls. Our previous clients say the following about our legal services and support:
- Anonymous Client: “I don’t think that any of us were fully aware of all the trials and tribulations that would arise as a result of my fall and subsequent injuries…You always kept our best interest in mind. I will never be able to adequately express my gratitude for all you have done.”
- Debora: “Mr. Friedman represented me in a soft tissue injury case for lesions I sustained as a consequence of a fall in a supermarket…Mr. Friedman and his staff were phenomenal at protecting my legal rights. I have only words of praise for his work and…his humane, thoughtful approach to his clients.”
Every member of our team strives to ensure every client we represent gets the same outstanding client experience.
Get a Free Consultation About Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in New York
Our personal injury lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., understand the challenges you face, as you struggle to obtain the medical treatment you need and pay your bills until you can return to work. Our team is here for you during this difficult time.
We will fight to protect your legal rights and recover the compensation you deserve. Our team can assist you in English, Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada. For a free consultation and case evaluation, contact us now.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form