Our law firm extends sincere condolences to anyone who has lost a loved one in New York, regardless of the specific circumstances. However, if your loved one’s passing happened because of negligence, we want to seek justice for you. Our team knows how to navigate wrongful death claims, identify the liable party or parties, and file wrongful death lawsuits as necessary.
A New York wrongful death lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will seek a financial recovery for your family’s loss, including funeral costs and other damages stemming from your loved one’s passing. Our personal injury attorneys provide free case reviews for families who lost loved ones because of someone else’s negligence.
- Recoverable Damages in New York Wrongful Death Cases
- We Will Handle Every Step of Your Wrongful Death Case
- How Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Will Handle Your Case
- Discuss Your Claim with a New York Wrongful Death Attorney Today
Recoverable Damages in New York Wrongful Death Cases
Each person is unique. Therefore, when someone passes away, the resulting losses are also unique. We will work to understand who your loved one was and the particulars of your special relationship. Only then are we able to properly evaluate your losses.
Research published in the medical journal Psychosomatic Medicine explains that grief affects both the mind and body. Therefore, we will account for any negative effects that grief has caused you and your loved ones. Other types of recoverable damages might include:
- Pain and suffering: In addition to grief, the damage category of pain and suffering could cover depression, anxiety, and any conscious pain and suffering the decedent experienced before their passing, if they were caused by the accident injuries that caused them to pass.
- Funeral expenses: Liable parties could cover the cost of your loved one’s funeral and burial expenses.
- Your non-economic losses: Your lawsuit could cover the small and big benefits your loved one provided before passing away. This could include romantic partnership, emotional support, guidance, instruction, loss of companionship, and other non-financial value the decedent provided.
- Medical expenses: Any medical expenses resulting from negligence will be part of your lawsuit. These costs could result from ambulance transport, intensive care, surgery, end-of-life care, and other medical services.
- Lost financial support: Wrongful death victims are, in many cases, also income earners. As a result, you or your loved ones might have lost financial support because of your loved one’s passing. Lost income, benefits, bonuses, and potential promotions could be among those losses.
Evaluating the full extent of damages in a wrongful death case is not easy. But you have lost someone you love, and our firm will work tirelessly to calculate and articulate the total cost of your immense loss. We use the information we gather about recoverable damages to pursue financial compensation from the responsible party through negotiations with insurance companies or wrongful death lawsuits.
For a free legal consultation with a Wrongful Death lawyer serving New York, call 516-932-0400
We Will Handle Every Step of Your Wrongful Death Case
The legal process is unpredictable, as each case presents a new set of facts and participants. Having our firm on your side could provide stability. By handling every step of the civil legal process and managing your wrongful death action, we will allow you to focus on what matters most—your recovery and your loved ones.
Our legal team will:
- Keep you updated on your case: Wrongful death cases require tact. You might not want daily updates or to hear the details of wrongful death proceedings. However, you need to know the status of your case. We will strike the right balance, keeping you informed as your case progresses.
- Identify liable parties: Someone is responsible for your loved one’s passing in New York. We will identify liable parties and file legal action against those parties.
- Communicate with all parties for you: Communication is a key feature of your case. Therefore, we will deal with all parties involved in your case, protecting you from anyone who might want to see your case fail. (For example, the at-fault party and their insurance carrier and defense lawyers.)
- Gather evidence: We build our cases based on evidence, facts, and witness accounts. Your case will be no different.
- Determine a value for your case: Though we hesitate to use the word “value” with respect to someone’s passing, the goal of every case is to express the monetary cost of the loss. We will determine what that cost is, then pursue a financial recovery that is in line with that cost.
Legal cases require organization, determination, and resources. We will handle every detail of yours. In addition, as called for, we will hire experts to build your case, including any medical experts and economists who could strengthen your lawsuit.
Who Will Represent Our Family in a New York Wrongful Death Suit?
New York’s wrongful death law limits who represents a family and acts in these cases. When you work with one of our experienced attorneys, we ensure you have the correct person to pursue justice for your family. This is limited to only the deceased person’s personal representative. The personal representative is sometimes better known as the administrator of the estate or executor of the will.
This is the only person the wrongful death statute allows to file these actions. If your loved one died without a will, the Surrogate’s Office will need to name a personal representative before we move forward with a case against the responsible party based on your loved one’s tragic accident and death.
Types of Wrongful Death Claims We Handle
Deaths tragically occur every day in New York. We maintain a staff of attorneys who handle every type of wrongful death case, including those that involve:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Dangerous premises
- Construction accidents
- Birth injuries and other instances of medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Criminal acts
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Exposure to toxic substances and environments
- Workplace accidents
- Other fatal accidents that occurred because of someone else’s carelessness or recklessness
If your loved one passed away under preventable circumstances, you might have grounds for a wrongful death case. Our team will seek justice for you and your loved ones.
New York Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
How Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Will Handle Your Case
Our firm’s roots are in New York. We have a deep connection to those we represent. Our team will be dedicated to securing a positive outcome for you amid tragic circumstances.
We hold ourselves to high standards, and our firm guarantees that:
- We will handle your case with sensitivity and compassion: You have suffered the greatest loss that one is able to endure. Your case requires sensitivity, compassion, and respect for your loved one’s memory. We take cases like yours very, very seriously.
- We will seek the financial recovery you deserve: We work tirelessly, and we are relentless on your behalf. Our clients receive the complete efforts of our team.
- You will not pay out of pocket: You owe us nothing upfront, and we only receive a fee if we secure a recovery for you.
For a law firm that truly cares for clients, hire Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Client Testimonials for Our Law Firm
Consider the testimonials we have received, such as:
- “Mr. Friedman wasn’t just my lawyer. He … is a very concerned and a very caring person. Mr. Friedman made sure I was in good hands as well.” – David, former client
- “They’re great people; they’re honest, they care about you… it’s like a friendship.” – Doug, former client
- “Mr. Friedman and his staff were phenomenal at protecting my legal rights. I have only words of praise for his work and a genuine appreciation for his humane, thoughtful approach to his clients.” – Debora, former client
- “This law firm is highly trustworthy, very professional, and client-friendly; I’d recommend them anytime.” – Moulton, former client
We want to provide this same brand of legal service to you.
Discuss Your Claim with a New York Wrongful Death Attorney Today
The services of a lawyer could be just what you and your loved ones need. Our firm will handle the legal process for you. You deserve to tend to your mental health and personal obligations, and that is what we will allow you to do. You will have a chance to grieve and spend time with surviving family members while we take care of the rest.
Contact us by calling or using our free case evaluation form. You could discuss your case with a New York wrongful death lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., during your free consultation today.