Slip or trip and fall accidents could greatly impact your health, your career, and your relationships. If you had such an accident on another person’s property, a Suffolk County personal injury lawyer from our firm would like to help you.
Our team will identify the person(s) responsible for your accident—whether they are a property owner, property manager, lessee, or someone else—and negotiate with their insurance company for the financial settlement you need to rebuild your life.
- How Much Is a Slip and Fall Case Worth?
- Let Our Trip and Fall Lawyer Help You
- Other Considerations for Slip and Fall Accident Victims
- Call Today for Help With Your Slip and Fall Case
How Much Is a Slip and Fall Case Worth?
Slips or trips are a leading cause of fatalities and hospitalizations among older New Yorkers, according to the New York State Department of Health. They are not, however, the only victims of slip and fall incidents. Even individuals under 65 could experience the physical, emotional, and financial pain such accidents often cause.
Some past slip and fall cases we have worked on were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to the victims; others were worth over $1 million. Our team will determine how much your case is worth based on:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium (These are the special types of loss, recognized by law, that a person experiences when their spouse is an accident injury or wrongful death victim.)
- Physical disability
- Intellectual disability
- Disfiguring marks or scars
- Medical expenses
- Travel expenses related to medical care
- Attorney’s fees
- Loss of wages or benefits
- Loss of employment
- Loss of future earning capacity
Every injured person’s case is unique, so it is always a good idea to get professional legal advice when trying to determine an accurate dollar amount for your damages.
What About Wrongful Death Damages?
If your loved one did not survive a slip and fall accident, we would like to offer our condolences for your loss. We consider ourselves privileged to help families like yours fight for justice and recover appropriate compensation after one of their loved ones has passed away in a fatal accident.
In wrongful death cases, clients could qualify for any or all of the damages listed above, depending with respect to some of the items, on whether or not the victim survived for any length of time before succumbing to their injuries. In addition, you could be entitled to recover damages based on:
- Loss of society or companionship
- Funeral or burial expenses
- Estate settlement costs
- Loss of financial support
- Grief and bereavement
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Suffolk County, call 516-932-0400
Let Our Trip and Fall Lawyer Help You
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. seeks to make the legal process more accessible to all. We offer free case reviews to all callers, and we never charge attorney’s fees until our client recovers compensation. After taking you on as a client, we will handle your claim by:
- Updating you regularly: As soon as something important occurs, we let you know, explain the development’s implications, and advise you on how to proceed.
- Identifying all liable parties: This could be the property owner, but anyone they leased the property to or hired to care for the property could also be liable.
- Communicating with all parties for you: Direct communication with the person who caused your injuries could be unduly stressful. We are always ready to handle all messaging on your behalf with the other parties involved in the case.
- Collecting evidence to build your case: We will seek proof from both documentary sources (e.g., medical records or relevant bills) as well as testimony (e.g., from eyewitnesses or experts).
- Determining a value for your case: By listening to your story and reviewing evidence, we will calculate how much your economic and non-economic damages are worth. This way, you will be certain that the value we suggest as the target result for your case t meets all of your present and future needs.
Suffolk County Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Other Considerations for Slip and Fall Accident Victims
The Suffolk County slip and fall lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. handle all legal matters so you do not have to think about them. However, there are still some factors you should consider as you think through your options.
The Statute of Limitations
Per New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214, accident victims have a limited time to exercise their right to pursue compensation. Missing the deadline by even a short period could cost you the settlement you deserve, so it is important to get legal help and start your case as soon as possible. It is also important to note that, depending upon the specific circumstances of your case, an even shorter statute of limitations may apply. In addition to statutes of limitation, other deadlines govern claims and lawsuits as well.
Evidence Is Impermanent
We use many different sources of evidence to support our clients’ cases. However, all these sources have one thing in common: they do not last forever. Consider:
- The memories of eyewitnesses will start to fade or change over time.
- Surveillance footage could be deleted or recorded over.
- Important documents could be misplaced or mistakenly thrown away.
It is usually conducive to our building the strongest, most compelling case and obtaining the best results for you if we are able to start as soon as possible after the accident and more evidence is still intact.
The Insurance Company
The liable party’s insurance company will be responsible for paying whatever damages you suffered. However, they might be reluctant to offer an appropriate settlement. They might even try to reduce what they have to pay by:
- Asking for a recorded statement, which they will then scrutinize for any statements, omissions, or discrepancies they could use against you
- Asserting that their client did not behave negligently
- Asserting that whether or not their client was negligent is irrelevant, because you also behaved negligently and it was your behavior that led to the accident
To refute or even preempt such claims, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will collect evidence proving that the liable party’s negligent behavior is directly responsible for your suffering. A property owner might exhibit negligence in any number of ways, including:
- Allowing grass, tree roots, or other foliage to get overgrown
- Not applying rock salt before a winter storm and/or not shoveling snow promptly
- Not cleaning up spills or debris promptly
- Allowing broken or dangerous walkways to remain in poor condition
- Failing to post warnings about or barricades around obvious hazards
Call Today for Help With Your Slip and Fall Case
Suffering a slip and fall accident is frightening, but you are not alone. If you live in Suffolk County or anywhere else on Long Island, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
A lawyer from our office wants to help you get appropriate compensation. Our team will assist you in the language of your choice: English, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, or Kannada.