If you are legally allowed or invited to visit someone’s property (for example, as a dinner guest or a customer), you have the right to expect a safe environment. At the very least, you can expect the property owner to warn you about known dangers, such as a slippery floor or uneven surfaces.
If a negligent property owner’s actions caused you to suffer harm in Islip, a slip and fall accident lawyer from our firm wants to fight for your financial recovery. Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. helps slip or trip and fall accident victims, as well as other victims of premises liability. Initial case assessments are free.
In This Article
- How Negligence Causes Slip and Fall Accidents
- Benefits of Hiring a Trip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Gets Results for Slip and Fall Victims
- Common Recoverable Damages for Slip and Fall Accidents
- Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
- Property Owner’s Duty of Care
- Get Help with Your Slip and Fall Case Today
How Negligence Causes Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners are expected to keep their buildings and landin a reasonably safe condition. When they fail to do so, they can be held accountable when invited guests and visitors become injured.
A property owner could be found negligent if they fail to:
- Repair, replace, or otherwise resolve an unsafe situation within a reasonable time
- Maintain a safe environment for visitors and guests
- Warn guests and visitors about a potential hazard
- Recognize dangerous conditions within a reasonable amount of time
Our lawyers understand how to show liability for slip and fall accidents. We want to help you recover the compensation you are seeking in an Islip premises liability case.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Islip, call 516-932-0400
Benefits of Hiring a Trip and Fall Accident Lawyer
When you are injured on someone’s property, it is your right to seek compensation from the careless property owner. However, this is not always as straightforward as it sounds. You may find yourself with more questions than answers when you research New York State’s liability and negligence laws.
Hiring a slip and fall accident lawyer from our team has many benefits. We can help by:
- Taking swift action to collect evidence before the liable party fixes the unsafe conditions
- Communicating with insurance companies who may try to shift blame onto you
- Determining all liable parties
- Filing your insurance claim or lawsuit within any applicable deadlines
- Protecting your rights up to and at trial
Islip Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Gets Results for Slip and Fall Victims
Whether due to a snowy sidewalk or a loose cable, slip and fall accidents often happen because someone did not take reasonable measures to resolve an unsafe situation.
Our personal injury lawyers have recovered over $250 million in damages for injured New Yorkers, including these case results for slip and fall victims:
- $1,162,300 recovered for a tenant who fell on a slippery sidewalk
- $1,000,000 for a store employee with multiple injuries
- $780,000 for a tenant injured on an icy walkway
- $725,000 for a Bronx store customer who slipped on rice from a broken bag in a grocery store
While past results do not guarantee future outcomes, you have the assurance of working with a firm that promises to:
- Give you regular updates on the case
- Identify who to hold liable
- Communicate with all parties for you
- Gather sufficient evidence to prove the case
- Determine the value of your damages
We also have a multilingual staff that can work with you in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada.
Click to contact our Islip Personal Injury Lawyers today
Common Recoverable Damages for Slip and Fall Accidents
When our team fights for your financial recovery, you could receive compensation for the following types of damages:
- Ambulance and emergency room care
- Physical therapy
- Medical equipment
- Lost pay
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Wrongful death
Medical costs for non-fatal falls are about $50 billion each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When you have slip and fall injuries and someone else is to blame, you should not have to pay for these damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Property owners are obliged to keep their properties safe for guests and visitors. This includes the following types of property:
- Private homes, apartments, and condos
- Stores, restaurants, hotels, and bars
- Parking garages and parking lots
- Public buildings like schools and courthouses
- Amusement parks
- Airports, train stations, subways, and bus stations
Frequent Causes of Trip and Fall Accidents
Here are some of the more common causes of slip and fall accidents that our team builds cases for:
- Untreated snow and ice
- Slick or slippery floors
- Unsafe staircases
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Inadequate lighting
- Insufficient security
- Falling debris or objects
Property Owner’s Duty of Care
A trip and fall accident lawyer from our team understands that the burden of proof is on the injured party. A premises liability case depends on establishing certain legal elements in order to seek damages.
In your Islip slip and fall or trip and fall case, we must establish:
- The property owner’s duty to maintain a safe property
- How the property owner failed in that duty
- How the owner’s actions or omissions caused the accident
- The resulting damages in the form of physical, emotional, and financial injuries or harm
Who is Owed a Duty of Care?
The law recognizes three types of individuals who could be on someone’s property legally:
- An invitee is someone legally on the property for business purposes – whether specifically invited or for a business that is open to the public. Invitees are owed the highest duty of care because they are on someone’s property for mutually beneficial purposes.
- A licensee is someone who visits the property for personal or social reasons. If you are a guest in someone’s home, you are owed a duty of care for a safe environment.
- A trespasser is not owed any duty of care from the property owner other than being safe from intentional or unreasonable harm.
Anyone who is invited or allowed to be on the owner’s property is owed a duty of care.
Get Help with Your Slip and Fall Case Today
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident in Islip, a lawyer from our team wants to help you collect compensation from the liable property owner or occupier. Get a free consultation today from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.: (516) 932-0400.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form