Slip and fall accidents are common in East Meadow. They can happen to anyone at any time—no matter how healthy or careful they are. In addition to motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall cases make up a large portion of personal injury claims. Here at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we have seen slip and fall accidents occur in just about every place you can imagine, from retail stores and construction sites to public sidewalks and everywhere in between.
If another party was responsible for your slip and fall accident, you may be eligible for compensation. Our law firm has been fighting for slip and fall victims since 1991. Three decades later, our attorneys continue to help victims and families seek justice for their losses. When you hire an East Meadow slip and fall accident & injury lawyer at our firm, we will fight relentlessly for you, as well.
Let our team start gathering information about your case today, so we can help you understand your legal options moving forward. We offer assistance in several languages, including Kannada, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, and Bengali.
In This Article
- New York State Slip and Fall Statistics
- Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injury
- Recoverable Damages for East Meadow Trip and Fall Victims
- How Does Liability Work in an East Meadow Slip and Fall Case?
- How Much Do Slip and Fall Lawyers Cost?
- Trip and Fall Attorneys Serving East Meadow
- Work With a Slip and Fall Lawyer Serving East Meadow Today
New York State Slip and Fall Statistics
According to NYC Health, unintentional falls are the leading cause of injury-related hospitalizations in New York City. As East Meadow is only approximately 30 miles from the City of New York, it is fair to assume that unintentional falls are a significant cause of injury-related hospitalizations in East Meadow as well.
While slip and fall accidents affect people of all ages, the majority of victims are over the age of 65. Research from the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) reports that fall injuries hospitalize roughly 8,877 older people every year in Nassau County. This is the fourth-highest total out of all the counties in New York State.
Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may be facing thousands of dollars in medical expenses and lost wages. That does not even include the cost of property damage, rehabilitation, and other financial burdens that come with serious injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving East Meadow, call 516-932-0400
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injury
Trip and fall accidents can occur on many different surfaces, including scaffolding, carpeting, and concrete. Generally, most falls happen on slick surfaces. However, structural collapses, improper safety measures, and misplaced objects also cause these accidents.
Overall, common causes of slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Slick surfaces from rain, snow, or ice
- Poorly constructed stairs
- Misplaced cords
- Uncleaned spills
- Sudden drop-offs with no warning signs
- Unsecured floorboards, carpeting, or nails
- Improper railings
East Meadow Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Recoverable Damages for East Meadow Trip and Fall Victims
Recoverable damages can help you recoup your current losses and the related losses you will face in the years to come. Depending on your case, recoverable damages can include the following:
- Medical costs
- Lost income and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Accommodations for permanent disabilities, covering rehabilitation services, respite care, transportation methods, and medical devices
- Mental suffering, including loss of consortium (these are the special types of losses, recognized by law, that a person suffers when a spouse is severely injured or is a wrongful death victim,) and quality of life, lost passions, and decreased self-esteem
- Physical pain from injuries, health complications, and medical treatments
When you choose an East Meadow slip and fall accident & injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will fight to win a monetary recovery that encompasses all the pain and suffering and other damages you have endured and that you are reasonably anticipated to experience in the future.
Wrongful Death Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, please accept our deepest sympathies. You may be entitled to additional damages, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The loss of a close personal relationship
- Loss of your family member’s income
We are privileged to support our injured clients and their families as they pursue the justice and compensation they deserve.
Time Limits on Slip and Fall Injury Lawsuits in New York
Certain errors can have devastating consequences during your fight for justice. Unmet deadlines are some of the most common mistakes laypeople tend to make if they don’t consult with experienced slip and fall lawyers. In accordance with New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, you have limited time to take legal action after your accident. If you ignore this time limit, you may lose your eligibility for compensation. We make sure this does not happen to our clients. We make sure all deadlines are met in a timely and technically correct manner.
If this all seems a bit overwhelming, that is completely normal. We have decades of experience and success representing clients injured in slip and fall accidents. Our firm will help you gain a new perspective on the road ahead.
How Does Liability Work in an East Meadow Slip and Fall Case?
Liability is one of the most important components of a slip and fall case. To pursue compensation, you must identify a liable party. This process includes two steps.
First, our lawyers will gather evidence to support your claim. This will include:
- Accident reports
- Footage or images of the accident site
- Eyewitness testimonies
- Expert witness opinions (e.g., engineers who will opine on the dangerous conditions that caused the fall.) )
To assign liability, our team will work to establish the four components of negligence. For a case to be successful, you must lawyer must demonstrate that the liable party:
- Had a duty of care to keep you safe from harm
- Breached that duty of care by behaving in a negligent manner
- Caused a slip and fall accident as a result of this negligence
- Subsequently caused your damages
Under New York Law, property owners must use reasonable care to keep the premises in a reasonably safe condition for the protection of all persons whose presence is reasonably foreseeable. The aforementioned components of negligence will be used to show that the liable party didn’t uphold this duty, thus making them liable for your damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Do Slip and Fall Lawyers Cost?
Generally speaking, lawyers typically offer a range of payment plans. These include:
- Hourly rates: You pay your lawyer for the hours billed to your case at their desired rate
- A lump sum: You pay your lawyer a single fee, usually upfront
- Contingency: You only pay your lawyer if they win your case
Slip and fall accidents can be costly. For example, in 2020, work-related injuries, including slip and fall cases, cost victims $44,000 on average, according to the National Safety Council (NSC).
We understand the pressure you are under to provide for your family despite your injuries. Therefore, we won’t contribute to your financial stress. Our attorneys adhere to a contingency-fee policy, which means:
- You will never have an out-of-pocket fee or expense related to hiring our firm
- We won’t move forward with your case until you fully understand the terms
- We won’t charge you anything upfront
- You don’t pay us unless we win your case
Trip and Fall Attorneys Serving East Meadow
Different parties may be accountable for your slip and fall accident, including property owners, general contractors, sub-contractors, tradespeople (such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.,) custodians, landscapers, and manufacturers.
When you retain an East Meadow slip and fall accident & injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will investigate all the contributing factors that may have led to your injuries. When we uncover the truth, it is our hope that in addition to whatever settlement or award we can recover for you, you can find a sense of closure and the peace of mind you deserve.
Slip and fall cases often present unique challenges. To help combat these issues, our attorneys offer numerous legal services. When you hire us, we will:
- Provide updates on the progress of your case
- Identify any and all liable parties
- Communicate with the necessary parties on your behalf
- Collect relevant evidence
- Estimate your case value
- Fight tirelessly to win the best possible case outcome for you
Committed Legal Support
We are passionate advocates for our injury clients. Our team will answer questions, provide case updates, and work tirelessly to make your legal experience as smooth as possible. Here is an example of what our previous clients have posted about working with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.:
- “Mr. Friedman wasn’t just my lawyer. He (was) or is a very concerned and a very caring person. Mr. Friedman made sure I was in good hands as well. I was injured in 2009. We settled in 2013 and I was astonished how hard he fought for me to get my life back financially.” – David
- “I’m glad we were referred to this firm. They kept us up to date on the status of our case and helped us get compensation for our medical bills and time lost from work. Thank you so much for your help!” – Danny
- “They’re great people, they’re honest, they care about you…it’s like a friendship.” – Doug
Work With a Slip and Fall Lawyer Serving East Meadow Today
If you cannot come to us, an East Meadow slip and fall lawyer will gladly meet with you on Long Island or elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area. You can learn more about your legal options during your free consultation with one of our team members.
To get started, contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today.