When you suffer injuries in an Islip motorcycle accident, you have financial recovery options. If someone else was the cause, you could be entitled to compensation outside of New York’s “no-fault” insurance laws, as the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS) outlines.
(More specifically, the benefits available to people involved in car accidents in New York State under the No-Fault laws are not available to motorcyclists. On the website linked below, the state government answers the question: “What if the vehicle involved was a motorcycle?
Answer: If you are the operator or passenger of a motorcycle involved in an accident, you are excluded from No-Fault benefits (you may sue from first dollar loss). If you were a pedestrian struck by a motorcycle, you should file a claim with the insurer of the motorcycle. If it is not insured, then you may file the claim with the insurer of a household family relative who had an auto policy at the time of the accident. If there was no auto policy in the household, you should file a claim with the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC).”)
A motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm wants to help protect your rights and file a claim on your behalf while you recover from your injuries. New York has complex liability and negligence laws. Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you understand your case, so you make informed decisions about your future.
- What Happens After a Motorcycle Accident?
- Damages You Could Recover for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
- Our Commitment to You as a Valued Client
- We Are Serious About Recovering Compensation and Justice
- Types of Injuries Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Get a Free Consultation Today
What Happens After a Motorcycle Accident?
When you are injured in a motorcycle accident, there is a typical pattern of subsequent activities. Among these activities are the following:
- The other party’s insurance company is notified.
- You receive medical care, which might involve a visit to your family doctor or a prolonged stay in the hospital.
Insurance companies are often quick to collect premiums and slow to approve accident claims. You might receive a phone call from an insurance adjuster while you are recuperating. Some insurance adjusters are friendly and make it seem as though they want to help, but they will not always put your needs first.
Our Firm Is on Your Side
With a motorcycle accident attorney from our firm representing you in Islip, you can politely decline to talk to an insurance adjuster and direct them to us instead. Doing so can protect your claim and prevent the insurer from using your own statements to devalue or deny your claim.
Our lawyers have recovered over $250 million in damages for injured accident victims. We will help you on a contingency basis, so you owe us nothing if we cannot recover compensation for you. As your representatives, our team will handle the insurance adjuster and the other involved parties while you focus on feeling better.
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving Islip, call 516-932-0400
Damages You Could Recover for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
You could recover many types of damages based on your bodily injuries. Each case is different, but the following types of damages are commonly awarded in a personal injury case:
- Medical care, including ambulance, surgery, medical tests, hospitalization, rehabilitation, counseling, prescription medicine, and medical equipment
- Lost pay for the time you were injured
- Diminished or lost earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from returning to your job or working at all
- Property damage, including motorcycle repairs and temporary transportation
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, please accept our condolences. Our attorneys are familiar with wrongful death claims and lawsuits. If you hire us, we will seek damages on your behalf for funeral expenses, your loved one’s medical bills, lost income, and more. In such cases, we are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Islip Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Our Commitment to You as a Valued Client
Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. understands how important it is for you to feel safe and confident in your legal representation. You have our commitment to compassionate and responsive legal care that includes:
- Regular updates to keep you informed at every stage
- Proving liability to build your case
- Communicating and coordinating with all parties
- Collecting evidence of injuries and damages
- Assessing your damages for maximum potential compensation
Everything that you discuss with your lawyer is privileged information. Our staff also speaks several languages, including Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada.
We Are Serious About Recovering Compensation and Justice
When reckless driving, defective parts, or hazardous roads cause injury or loss of life, our lawyers are ready to fight. Here are just two of the numerous legal victories that we have won for motorcycle accident victims:
- $1,875,000 for a motorcyclist with a fractured leg caused by a motorist making a left–hand turn
- $925,000 in wrongful death damages for the family of a young motorcycle victim
Securing justice and compensation for you and your family is our team’s goal. Your legal action could also keep a dangerous driver off the road and prevent someone else from being injured or killed.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Types of Injuries Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles lack protection for riders and passengers. That is why many serious injuries can happen after a motorcycle accident, including:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Internal bleeding with potential for organ loss or damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Deep cuts, bruises, and burns
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Twisted and sprained muscles, tendons, and cartilage
According to the New York State Department of Health, an average of 16 injured motorcycle riders are treated at a hospital each day.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are smaller than cars and more difficult to see. Although drivers are supposed to treat motorcyclists with the same respect and consideration as other road users, this is not always the case. Motorcycle accidents are often caused by careless drivers who:
- Fail to yield the right of way
- Follow too closely
- Change lanes or make turns without looking
- Run red lights or stop signs
- Open car door into a motorcycle’s path
If there is evidence of one of these or a similar scenario in your case, our team will use it to hold the negligent party accountable.
Get a Free Consultation Today
The sooner you reach out to Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. about your Islip motorcycle accident, the sooner your compensation case begins. Contact our team today to discuss the next steps. For your free consultation, call: (516) 932-0400.