For some people in New York, a motorcycle has appeal over a car. Yet, motorcyclists are more prone to serious injuries than standard vehicle drivers, who have metal barriers to protect them during collisions.
If you or a loved one was severely injured in a motorcycle accident in Babylon or a surrounding area in Suffolk County, our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. wants to represent you.
If you’d like more information before hiring one of our motorcycle accident lawyers serving Babylon, we also offer free case evaluations.
In This Article
- Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has Won Over $250 Million for Clients
- You Might Be Entitled to Compensation for Your Losses
- Our Team will Make Sure to File Your Case By Its Filing Deadline
- Call now to Hire a Babylon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer From Our Team
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has Won Over $250 Million for Clients
Our law firm has been helping accident victims fight for justice for the past 30 years. While you are not obligated to work with a personal injury lawyer on your case, working with one could benefit you in a myriad of ways.
By working with a Babylon motorcycle accident lawyer from our team, you can rely on us to manage your case for you and represent your interests. We will use our resources to build a strong case for you and fight for your rights as a motorcycle accident victim. This involves:
- Keeping you up to date on your case’s latest developments and notifying you when legal decisions need to be made
- Investigating your accident to determine the liable party or parties
- Speaking with other parties on your behalf to protect your case (e.g., insurance adjusters)
- Gathering evidence that could be used to prove how the accident occurred, the damages you suffered, and who is liable for your damages
- Calculating the total value of your damages so that we have a target goal for compensation
Motorcycle Accident Cases We’ve Won
Our legal team has won over $250 million in settlements and court awards for accident victims. Below are two case results of the numerous motorcycle accident cases we’ve handled.
- $1,875,000 for a motorcyclist who suffered a severe leg injury that required multiple surgeries after being hit by another vehicle
- $925,000 for the surviving family of a 22-year-old motorcyclist who passed away in an accident
After we review your case, we will explain in more detail the specific factors that will influence the ultimate dollar value of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Babylon, call 516-932-0400
You Might Be Entitled to Compensation for Your Losses
As mentioned, we will help you estimate the value of your damages. First, we will divide your damages into two categories: special and general losses.
In short, “special losses” refer to your financial damages, whereas “general losses” refer to the physical and emotional losses you incurred because of the accident and your injuries.
The latter requires us to assign a financial value to them so that you can be adequately compensated. Our team will discuss this process in your future consultation.
Also referred to as economic losses, special losses involve any financial expenses, debts, or losses you incurred. This category includes the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses: This includes costs for hospitalization, emergency room care, imaging scans, doctors’ appointments, physical therapy, and other medical care services.
- Property damage: This includes costs to repair your motorcycle or replace it. Other property that was damaged in the accident will also be accounted for in this category.
- Income loss: This includes wages you lost because of your condition. If your injuries affect your ability to maintain your current job position or accept better job offers, we will also demand compensation for the reduction in your earning potential.
Also referred to as non-economic damages, general losses are more subjective and can cover a wide variety of personal losses you might have suffered because of your injuries. This category includes the following types of damages:
- Pain and suffering: This includes both physical and emotional pain and suffering.
- Permanent disability: This can include, for example, vision and hearing loss, the loss of a bodily function or an appendage, and other physical or mental limitations caused by the accident.
- Diminished quality of life: This could pertain to damages such as you losing the joy of participating in hobbies and activities you enjoyed before the accident (e.g., riding your motorcycle) or losing your independence as a result of your injuries.
You could qualify for other damages not mentioned in this article.
Babylon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Our Team will Make Sure to File Your Case By Its Filing Deadline
New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214 sets a general deadline for people who want to file personal injury lawsuits. Certain factors could affect this deadline, such as whether a government entity or minor is involved, so our team will review your case to determine how much time you have to submit your case.
What Happens if a Plaintiff Misses the Filing Deadline?
Their case would almost certainly get dismissed. There are a couple of things to understand about what having your case dismissed means:
- If your case gets dismissed, you do not have the legal ability to compel a liable party to compensate you for your damages.
- When you lose your right to pursue compensation, you must then cover your current and future damages yourself out of your own finances.
Other reasons why you want to file sooner than later pertain to how readily available evidence will be when you file. Certain evidence, like surveillance footage, might not be available years later. Also, if you are relying on eyewitness testimony, their statements lose reliability as time goes on since their memory could fade. Even simply locating witnesses long after an accident can present a much greater challenge than seeking them out shortly after the accident.
Is the Statutory Deadline the Same for Cases Involving a Fatality?
No. If you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you will have to abide by the deadline set by Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1.
If you lost a loved one in a Babylon motorcycle accident, we offer you our heartfelt condolences. We understand that grief can take its mental toll, so you might not want to handle the legal obligations that your case demands. Our legal team will take on this responsibility so that you and your family can grieve in peace.
Call now to Hire a Babylon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer From Our Team
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motorcycle collision, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to prepare your case against the at-fault driver.
Our personal injury team will manage your case for you so that you can focus on your recovery. Prefer to speak in a language besides English? Our staff assists people who speak Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali.