If you live in Garden City on Long Island and were a recent victim of a car accident, you might be entitled to pursue compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit. One thing to note is that New York is a no-fault state, meaning people involved in a car accident will typically file an accident claim with their own auto insurance provider first.
However, you may have options for taking legal action against the at-fault driver, such as through a personal injury lawsuit. If you would like experienced legal counsel and guidance on how to go about this process, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., at (516) 932-0400 for a free consultation.
Our team would be privileged to assist you on your legal journey. We offer multiple services to help our clients build their cases and are willing to do what it takes to help them fight for fair compensation. Call today to learn more about working with a Garden City car accident lawyer.
In This Article
- Our Team Will Review Evidence You Already Have and Help You Find More
- Your Garden City Car Accident Lawyer Will Investigate Who Is Liable
- Look at the Police Accident Report to Determine Key Information
- You May Be Able to Receive Compensation for Your Accident Injuries
- Let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., Help You Build Your Car Accident Case
Our Team Will Review Evidence You Already Have and Help You Find More
When you call our law firm, a team member will ask about some items you may already have that are part of the initial fact-finding/investigation process and whether you know if certain forms of evidence might exist. For example, when you call, we would like to discuss with you whether you have or know of the existence of:
- A copy of the Police Accident Report about the accident, which you can usually obtain from the local police station that dispatched an officer to the accident scene. (When you retain our firm we are happy to obtain this if you have not already done so.)
- Photos and videos of the accident, your vehicle, and your injuries
- Driver’s license and license plate information for both you and any other involved parties present at the scene
- Insurance information for both you and any other involved parties present at the scene
Your legal team will also conduct an investigation to potentially discover other forms of evidence. We want to do this quickly because many forms of evidence are time-sensitive, so reach out as soon as possible to get this process started.
Some forms of evidence we may be able to collect include:
- Witness statements about how the accident occurred
- Black box information, which might be crucial in cases involving trucks and other commercial vehicles
- Surveillance camera footage from businesses or residences near the accident
- Traffic camera footage if the accident took place at an intersection
- Dashcam or rear-cam footage from involved vehicles
- Expert witness testimony, which can come from mechanical engineers and accident reconstruction analysts
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Garden City, call 516-932-0400
Your Garden City Car Accident Lawyer Will Investigate Who Is Liable
One of the main legal services your lawyer will provide is determining who might be liable for your car accident. While people understand that the at-fault party can be held liable, other parties who might not have been present at the scene may also have contributed to, or even have legal liability for the collision, without directly contributing to the happening of the accident.
Examples of other potentially liable parties include:
- The at-fault driver’s employer if they were working at the time of the accident (This is called “vicarious liability,” and is form of legal responsibility created by law, not by the direct action(s) of the employer.)
- The company that owns and maintains the at-fault driver’s vehicle
- The maintenance worker who last worked on the vehicle (if it malfunctioned)
- The manufacturing company of the vehicle part or vehicle that malfunctioned
- The local government responsible for maintaining road conditions
- A construction company responsible for work sites on the road
Not sure if your case involves parties besides the other driver who was present at the scene? Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., at (516) 932-0400 for a free case evaluation. If you have the Police Accident Report already with you, we will review it and discuss it with you to determine whether other parties might have contributed to the cause of the accident. As may be called for, we can investigate your accident to gain insight into who else might be a liable party.
Garden City Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Look at the Police Accident Report to Determine Key Information
The Police Accident Report will be a key piece of information, as it will contain the date that the accident took place and if you reported your injuries at the scene (or were taken to the hospital if you were not conscious), helping connect the collision with your injuries. The report will contain other very important details of what the responding officer learned at the accident scene, such as points of impact of the involved vehicles, their respective pre-impact directions of travel, statements of the drivers and witnesses, and more.
If you did not report your injuries at the time of the accident because they developed a few days or weeks later, we can use both your medical records and the police accident report as a reference point. Together, they can illustrate a timeline about how your injuries occurred and later developed.
While discussing timelines, it is important to point out the great care and attention we give to one especially important time-limitation. If you intend to file a lawsuit about your car accident, you must abide by the statutory deadline set by New York Civil Practice Law & Rules § 214. We make certain that this and other legal deadlines are met in a legally correct and timely manner, completely relieving you of this stress.
You May Be Able to Receive Compensation for Your Accident Injuries
Your legal team will help you calculate your damages to determine how much compensation to pursue in your case. This will involve measuring the financial impact of the accident and its general and specific impact on your life.
You may be able to receive compensation for the following types of damages:
- Medical treatment costs
- Loss of wages
- Diminished quality of life
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earning potential
Your legal team can explain these terms in more detail and it will be our privilege to do so patiently and compassionately.
In tragic car accident cases, some victims do not survive. Families of those who passed away in a car accident can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit to recover their damages. If such a tragedy has befallen your family, we extend our heartfelt condolences to you. Our team understands how difficult a case like this can be for a family, so we aim to be respectful of your wishes and needs. In such a car accident wrongful death case, we are committed to fighting relentlessly to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., Help You Build Your Car Accident Case
If you are looking for legal assistance after a car accident, allow Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., to review your case. We have staff members who can assist you in other languages, such as Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada. If you would prefer to communicate in your native language, feel free to ask so we can accommodate you as we help you build your case.
Call (516) 932-0400 today to speak with a representative of our firm about hiring a Garden City car accident lawyer.