If you sustained injuries in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. You can work with a lawyer from our team to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit about your accident-related injuries.
A car accident lawyer serving Westbury from our firm, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., wants to help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. . We provide car accident victims with a free consultation before working with them.
In This Article
- How an Accident Can Change Your Life
- Calculating the Value of Your Car Accident Case
- How Working With a Car Accident Lawyer Benefits You
- We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases in Westbury
- Our Legal Team Works for a Contingency Fee Instead of Hourly
- Don’t Wait Until the Last Minute to Start Building Your Case
How an Accident Can Change Your Life
If you were involved in a car accident, you know first-hand that the trauma of this unexpected event can lead to physical, psychological, and financial hardship.
- Physical trauma: One of the most common ways in which car accident victims suffer is from physical injuries. While some injuries are minor and could even be treated on the scene of an accident, more serious injuries can impact your daily life and could take a long time to recover from.
- Emotional suffering: Many car accident victims suffer from some form of emotional trauma. This can manifest in the form of stress, anxiety, fear of driving, sleeplessness, and more.
- Financial hardship: In addition to injuries and emotional trauma, your accident could impact your bank account. Vehicle damage, lost property, medical bills, and more can accumulate in the form of unexpected expenses. Thankfully, a successful claim can help take this burden off of your plate.
If you suffered in any way from your car accident, remember that you could qualify for financial compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Westbury, call 516-932-0400
Calculating the Value of Your Car Accident Case
Your damages may consist of financial, physical, and emotional harm. To make your case, we must identify and document the types of damages you incurred.
For example, if your injuries required extensive medical treatment, we will look into the various medical expenses you incurred, such as costs for:
- Ambulance services
- Hospital bills
- Surgery or other procedures
- Emergency treatment
- Physician visits
- Physical therapy
However, you may be entitled to other types of damages, such as:
- Lost income and benefits
- Auto repair or replacement costs
- Towing and car rental costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
We Will Also Account for Losses You May Experience in the Future
If you need ongoing medical treatment or if you cannot return to work because of your injuries, we will also include the following in your claim:
- Estimated future medical treatment and care costs
- Diminished earning capacity
- Future lost benefits and opportunities
To estimate these costs, we will consult with expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf. This may involve speaking with medical professionals, economists, and other expert analysts.
You May Be Eligible to Pursue Compensation on Behalf of a Late Loved One
If your loved one died as a result of their car accident-related injuries, our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., extends our heartfelt condolences. We would be honored to pursue a wrongful death action on behalf of you and your family. We understand that managing a legal case while grieving your loved one can feel overwhelming. By allowing us to do the legal work and represent you in your case it is our hope that you can devote your attention and energy to healing and rebuilding your life
In a wrongful death case, we will help you pursue compensation for the following types of damages:
- Costs to arrange your loved one’s funeral
- Medical debts you inherited from your loved one
- Income and benefits you lost now that your loved one can no longer contribute to the family net worth
- Emotional losses, such as loss of companionship or parental guidance
- Loss of consortium (These are the special types of harm, recognized by law, that a person suffers when their spouse is a wrongful death victim.)
Westbury Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
How Working With a Car Accident Lawyer Benefits You
We have more than 30 years of experience and the resources necessary to fight for your Westbury car accident case. When you work with a personal injury lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will:
Handle Every Aspect of Your Case
The personal injury lawyers of Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., are passionate advocates for the injured. Our legal team will take care of every aspect of your case, so you do not have to worry about anything but your health and well-being.
Protect Your Legal Rights
We will protect and preserve your legal right to seek compensation. We will make sure to protect you from giving any statements or signing any documents that could limit your right to recover compensation.
Should the insurance company or opposing legal team reach out to you for a statement, you can refer them to us instead, and we will handle these communications for you.
Investigate and Document Your Accident
We will conduct a thorough investigation to identify any liable party involved in your accident. We will also use any evidence we discover to support your claims and establish how every liable party we named is liable for your injuries.
Supporting evidence for your case may include documentation, such as:
- Accident reports
- Witness statements
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
- Written opinions from accident reconstruction experts
We will use our resources to recover evidence to prove negligence and establish liability for your car accident.
We may also use the opinions of subject matter experts. For example, medical experts can provide opinions regarding your injuries and prognosis for recovery. Vocational specialists can provide testimony regarding your capacity for returning to work.
Identify the Liable Party or Parties in Your Case and Establish Fault
To recover compensation for your damages, we must identify all liable parties and prove fault. Potentially liable parties in your accident might include:
- Another motorist
- A truck driver or trucking company
- A municipality or government entity
- A taxicab driver
- A motorcyclist
- A Lyft or Uber driver
- A bar or other alcohol-serving establishment
To establish fault, we must demonstrate the following four elements:
- Duty of care: The other party had a duty to drive safely.
- Breach of duty: The other party behaved negligently and breached their duty to drive safely (e.g., by texting, speeding, disregarding signage, etc.).
- Causation: The other party’s negligence caused your accident and injuries.
- Damages: You suffered harm.
Our team will help establish fault for your accident.
Negligence Can Occur in a Variety of Ways
Another party does not necessarily have to violate a traffic law to engage in negligent driving. Various forms of negligence can make a party liable for accident-related losses. Consider the following:
- Intoxicated Driving: When another driver chooses to take to the road under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or any mind-altering substance, the results can be devastating.
- Speeding: Speeding vehicles are dangerous vehicles. Driving over the speed limit can reduce reaction time, increase the likelihood of a high-impact crash, and put your safety at risk.
- Failure to Obey Signs: Traffic signs and laws exist to keep everyone on the road safe. If another driver failed to obey any type of traffic law, whether intentional or by accident, they could be liable for your accident.
- External Factors: Obstructions on the road, poor weather and a driver’s failure to drive with due regard for such conditions, and other external factors are sometimes the cause of accidents.
- Mechanical Failure: Cars are required to undergo regular maintenance and inspections. If a mechanical failure caused your accident, this could be at least partially due to the negligence of a vehicle owner.
- Distracted Driving: The use of cell phones and other forms of technology have increased the prevalence of distracted drivers on the road. Distracted driving is punishable by law and may have contributed to your car accident.
Determining Third-Party Liability
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, and it can be difficult to sort through driver statements, witness statements, and other evidence to determine exactly which parties were liable. To make things even more complex, sometimes more than two vehicles are involved in a car accident.
Whether your accident is a straightforward case or more complicated, proving liability is very important and can help fortify your claim. A Westbury car accident lawyer with our firm will carefully review the details of your accident to see if a third party is liable.
Fight for You and Your Future
We will be there for you throughout this process, fighting to get you the compensation you deserve. We will work diligently to resolve your case as soon as possible.
The car accident lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., understand how stressful this time can be. We are here to provide compassionate legal representation and fight for compensation for the harm you experienced.
We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases in Westbury
Our team represents car accident victims in Westbury. We handle accident cases involving all sorts of causal factors, such as:
- Drunk driving
- Texting and driving
- Reckless driving
- Illegal turns
- Failure to yield
- Roadway hazards
- Following too closely
- Driver inattention
- Driver inexperience
- Disregarded traffic signals
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driver fatigue
- Aggressive driving or road rage
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Legal Team Works for a Contingency Fee Instead of Hourly
We work on a contingency-fee-basis, which means we will not collect any attorney’s fees unless and until you get compensation. Many of our clients are not in the financial position to work with a lawyer, which is why we offer to postpone those costs until we settle our cases.
Also, our attorney’s fee comes out of the compensation award we win for you, so you never have to pay out of pocket. If we do not win you compensation, then you owe us nothing. Our incentive is to work hard for your justice and help you get the financial recovery you deserve.
Don’t Wait Until the Last Minute to Start Building Your Case
You have a limited time to pursue damages after a car accident. Per New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 for personal injury cases and Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1 for wrongful death cases, you will have to abide by a legal deadline if you decide to file a civil action lawsuit. Other, shorter time periods may apply to cases depending on the specific circumstances. For example, cases involving a government agency will have shorter filing deadlines. Plaintiffs who fail to submit their lawsuits on time may get their cases dismissed.
Certain practical considerations in building the strongest case possible for you are also time-sensitive. For example, obtaining witness statements and surveillance and dashcam video should be done as soon as possible, as delay may render them unavailable for a variety of reasons.
It helps to begin as soon as possible to ensure you do not lose your right to recover compensation. Get a Free Consultation About how Our Legal Team Will Help You in Westbury
A car accident lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will provide individualized attention and legal representation to help you seek compensation.
Since 1991, we have helped our clients obtain damages for their car accident injuries and damages. We want to help you, too. We provide a no-cost, no-obligation consultation to help you learn more about your options. Our multilingual team can help you in English, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Kannada, or Bengali.
For your free case review, call today.