Changing lanes while operating a motor vehicle in Westbury requires consideration and care. Drivers who change lanes need to check their mirrors, make sure other vehicles are not too close, and proceed carefully. Sometimes, though, drivers behave recklessly, misjudge distances, or just make poor decisions when changing lanes, and those poor decisions lead to accidents and injuries.
A Westbury car accident lawyer will be able to review your case in this situation. The team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. is prepared to fight to get you compensation for your losses. Contact us by calling (516) 932-0400 to start building a claim against the negligent party in your unsafe lane change accident.
- Legal Definition of an Unsafe Lane Change
- Injuries From Unsafe Lane Changes
- Actions to Take Following a Car Accident
- To Learn About Your Legal Options, Call Westbury Accident Caused by Unsafe Lane Change Lawyer Today
Legal Definition of an Unsafe Lane Change
In order to avoid changing lanes in an unsafe fashion, drivers must understand what represents unsafe behavior. Specific information about unsafe lane changes is found in New York Vehicles & Traffic Laws (NY VAT) § 1128. The law provides instruction in relation to:
- Changing lanes on a two-lane road
- Shifting lanes on a road with three or more lanes
- Adhering to traffic control devices
- Crossing hazard markings on the road
According to NY VTL § 1128, drivers should only change lanes after a driver has, “ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.” However, the law does not specify how drivers are supposed to ensure their movements are safe. Generally, it is a good idea to:
- Use mirrors to make sure there are no vehicles close by
- Use turn signals to indicate a desire to switch lanes
- Double-check your blind spots
- Change lanes at a reasonable speed
Following these guidelines increases the odds that you will change lanes safely. However, there is no guarantee that your fellow drivers will follow these same safety precautions. Even if you follow all these instructions, a negligent driver could fail to and cause an unsafe lane change accident, leaving you with medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
For a free legal consultation with a Unsafe Lane Change Accident lawyer serving Westbury, call 516-932-0400
Injuries From Unsafe Lane Changes
In any car accident, there is a possibility of property damage and physical injury. In some cases, there will even be the potential for mental health injuries. If you have been in a car accident, you could be suffering from any number of injuries at various levels of severity. Those injuries could include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI), such as a mild concussion to complete personality changes
- Spinal cord injuries that could affect mobility, sensation, or even cause paralysis
- Neck and back injuries, such as whiplash
- Broken bones in any number of places, from simple breaks to crushed bones
- Joint injuries that affect your ability to move
- Permanent disability from lost limbs or paralysis
- Disfigurement to the face or body
- Lost bodily functions
- Internal bleeding or organ failure
- Cuts, lacerations, scrapes, and bruises
- Burns requiring skin grafts
- And possibly more depending on the severity of the unsafe lane change accident
If you lost a loved one, please accept our sincerest condolences and know that we are ready and able to represent you in a wrongful death claim as well.
You will get legal help pursuing compensation for your injuries by contacting a Westbury accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer. Your lawyer will begin investigating your case right away to build a strong claim to present to the negligent driver’s insurance company. Find out more about your legal options for compensation by calling Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at (516) 932-0400.
Westbury Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Actions to Take Following a Car Accident
Your focus following a car accident in which you suffered injuries should not be worrying about collecting compensation to cover your bills. It should be your healthy recovery. Follow your doctor’s medical orders. Do not disregard any doctor’s orders or skip any doctor’s appointments. Deviating from your doctor’s orders may be used against you by the insurance company. They will claim that you were not as badly injured as you actually are or that, to the extent you have not experienced a greater recovery it is due to your failure to follow the prescribed treatment.
Seeing a doctor for your injuries as soon as possible following a car accident also helps to establish a link between the unsafe lane change accident and your injuries. It will also become important when building your claim that you keep all your medical records and bills.
As soon as you feel comfortable enough, you should write down everything you remember from the accident. Which way were you traveling? Do you remember the other vehicles around you? When did you notice the negligent driver was changing into your lane? No matter how minute the detail, write it down before you forget it.
Even though it is after the accident, see if you have done some of the things we have listed below. Do not worry if you have not. That is where we will help. We will look over what you have, investigate the accident, and help you build a claim.
- Call the police and file an accident report (in New York State, an MV-104,) with the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Exchange information with the other driver
- Collect contact information from any witnesses
- Take photos of the damage to your car and your physical injuries
- Get medical attention as soon as possible
- Contact your insurance company
You should also never admit fault to the other drivers, witnesses, friends, or the insurance companies, the police or anyone. It is best not to talk about the accident with friends or on social media. Anything you say or write may be used against you. Let your Westbury accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. represent you in these matters. Your goal should be recovery. Our goal is to obtain compensation for you. Contact us today.
To Learn About Your Legal Options, Call Westbury Accident Caused by Unsafe Lane Change Lawyer Today
If you suffered injuries from a negligent driver making an unsafe lane change in Westbury, you are eligible to receive compensation from your losses. A Westbury accident caused by unsafe lane change lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will take charge of your claim so you have time to heal. Reach out to a member of our team now to get a free consultation regarding your legal situation.
Find out about your available legal options by calling (516) 932-0400 or completing our online contact form.