An expert witness will help your construction accident lawsuit by providing information to substantiate your compensation claim. They’ll provide specific details as to how your accident or injuries happened and how much compensation you should recover.
Expert witnesses use specialized knowledge in their area of study to support your case. Expert witnesses that could benefit your case may include medical doctors and mental health professionals. As may be called for by the specific circumstances of your case, our firm will work with witnesses who are experts in various aspects of the construction industry, such as engineers or mechanics. Such experts are qualified to offer opinions as to industry practices and how the defendant(s) departed from those standards, thereby creating the hazard(s) that resulted in your injury.
The type of expert witnesses we’ll call upon depends on many factors, including the manner in which your accident happened and the damages you suffered. Our Long Island construction accident lawyer will listen to the details of your case and determine which expert witnesses would best support your lawsuit.
- Expert Witnesses Provide Valuable Case Insight
- Types of Expert Witnesses That Will Benefit a Construction Accident Case
- Other Types of Evidence We Will Use to Support Your Demand for Compensation
- A Construction Accident Expert Witness Will Advocate for Your Right to Compensation
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to Work With a Construction Accident Lawyer
Expert Witnesses Provide Valuable Case Insight
When you bring your construction accident case to a personal injury lawyer, they’ll negotiate with the liable party for an appropriate settlement. However, there are some cases where the at-fault party refuses to make an appropriate settlement offer. This is one instance when expert testimony is valuable.
Generally, the role of an expert witness includes:
- Helping your lawyer prepare your construction accident case
- Providing expert opinions that can help in working to negotiate a settlement
- Sharing special knowledge about their area of expertise with a judge and jury
- Working with personal injury attorneys as they present your case in court
- Providing insight into niche concepts that are typically beyond the general knowledge of a layperson, such as proper construction site practices and conduct, how much it costs to treat your injuries, and other matters related to your claim.
Who Qualifies to Act as an Expert Witness?
Not everyone is eligible to act as an expert witness in a construction accident case. Generally, expert witnesses must meet the following criteria:
- They have a degree in their area of expertise from a college or university
- They have extensive experience working in the field
- They have special knowledge that the average person does not have
- They are trusted to base their testimony on facts that other experts in their industry rely on
While lay witnesses are only allowed to testify about what they’ve seen or heard firsthand, expert witnesses can reference their own knowledge and or professional beliefs.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Types of Expert Witnesses That Will Benefit a Construction Accident Case
Expert witnesses provide knowledge about the industry in which they work or study. Lawyers generally find expert witness testimony helpful because it provides knowledge on a topic they might not know much about. It is also useful to help attorneys confirm a fact they believe to be true.
Some of the types of expert witnesses we reference in construction accident cases include:
- Medical experts
- Engineering experts
- Construction industry experts
- Economic experts
- Manufacturing experts
- Forensic experts
- Psychologists, psychiatrists, or any other mental health expert
- Vocational experts
- Life care planners
- Accident reconstruction expert
The list above is by no means exhaustive. Any party with technical knowledge that could benefit your case might be called upon as we fight to win the maximum amount of compensation for you.
Other Types of Evidence We Will Use to Support Your Demand for Compensation
Expert witnesses are just one form of evidence in your construction accident lawsuit. As we build your case, we will also reference:
- Lay witness testimony from bystanders who saw your accident happen
- Your medical records and statements from your doctor
- Statements from your friends and family
- Any medical bills you incurred
- Photos of the accident scene and the injuries you suffered
- Video footage recorded on cell phones or surveillance cameras
- A police report, if one was written
- Proof of any out-of-pocket funds you spent to treat your injuries
- Your paychecks, which prove how much time you’ve missed at work
If you have any other evidence supporting your case, bring it to your legal team. They will determine how such evidence will benefit your case and use it to fight for damages.
A Construction Accident Expert Witness Will Advocate for Your Right to Compensation
Your construction accident lawyer will pursue compensation via a personal injury claim or lawsuit. When we file a claim and/or lawsuit against the liable party on your behalf, expert witness testimony plays an essential role in recovering the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses, such as the cost of all your doctor’s appointments, surgeries, hospital stays, and ambulance transportation
- Lost income if your injury prevents you from going to work
- Reduced earning capacity if the injuries you suffered will prevent you from working the same kind of job
- Property damage if any of your personal items were damaged or lost in the incident
- Physical pain and suffering, especially if you suffered catastrophic injuries like a spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury (TBI), broken bones, or severe burns
- Emotional distress if the accident brought on mental health issues like anxiety or depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life and impaired quality of life
Once our team assesses your case, we will determine which damages you’re eligible to pursue. The expert witnesses will help us by using their specialized knowledge to support our statements.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to Work With a Construction Accident Lawyer
Expert witnesses are just one part of the team that will advocate for your legal rights. Our law firm is here to answer all your questions, guide you through the legal process, gather evidence, and communicate with expert witnesses about the details of your case.
Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a free initial consultation today. Remember, according to New York law, you only have a limited amount of time to act. When you call us, a member of our team will provide legal advice and explain what you should do to get started. Call us today.