The aftermath of a rear-end collision can be extremely difficult for victims. You could have severe injuries and be missing time at work as the medical bills add up. The physical pain, financial difficulties, and uncertainty about how and when conditions will improve can create tremendous anxiety.
You do not have to face this situation alone. Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has Westbury car accident lawyers that present claims and fight tirelessly for victims like you in personal injury cases.
We will represent you in the claims process and we will deal directly with the at-fault party’s insurer so that you do not have to. We will advocate for your right to compensation. If the at-fault driver’s insurance company refuses to pay a fair settlement of your claim, depending upon the unique circumstances of your case, we will file a lawsuit to go after damages in court.
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400 for a free consultation. There is no obligation. Should you choose to work with us, know that our firm operates on a contingency-fee-basis. This means you pay nothing for our representation until you are offered a settlement or award in court.
- Three Things to Do After a Westbury Rear-End Collision
- Rear-End Collision Causes and Liability
- Insurance Adjuster Traps to Avoid
- Call a Westbury Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Office Today
Three Things to Do After a Westbury Rear-End Collision
We recommend the following steps after you have safely left the scene of your rear-end collision:
- Get medical attention right away. If you were hurt in a Westbury rear-end collision, seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Some rear-end injuries, like whiplash, may have delayed symptoms and long-lasting effects. A medical record linking your injuries to the accident will also prevent the defendant from arguing that you got hurt from some other event and not the car accident.
- Call law enforcement. If the legal authorities did not come to the scene of the accident and write a report about what happened, the at-fault driver might try to lie their way out of liability. They could even blame you for the crash, accusing you of a reckless sudden stop without warning or claim that you cut in front of the at-fault vehicle. A police report will create a record of your version of the events. If possible and you can do so safely, take photos showing the damage to all vehicles and their respective positions in the roadway, before the vehicles are moved.
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Our Westbury rear-end collisions lawyers are prepared to assert your right to compensation. We will give you immediate answers in a free consultation and offer representation on a contingency-fee-basis.
Do not hesitate to take legal action after your Westbury rear-end collision. New York Section 214 imposes a strict time limit, known as a statute of limitations, on these types of cases. If the statute of limitations expires in your case before you act, you can lose your right to recover compensation in a lawsuit. Other time limits apply to claims and lawsuits. When you retain our law firm, we make sure all deadlines are met in a proper and timely manner so you can focus on your medical treatment, your rest and recovery and on rebuilding your life.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will discuss what legal deadlines pertain to your case when you call us.
For a free legal consultation with a Rear-End Collisions lawyer serving Westbury, call 516-932-0400
Rear-End Collision Causes and Liability
Driver negligence can cause rear-end collisions for several reasons, including:
- Distracted driving: if the driver behind you was talking with passengers, texting on the phone, adjusting the radio, or reading the navigation system directions.
- Drowsy driving: if the driver was too tired to concentrate and nodded off behind the wheel.
- Driving under the influence: if the person behind you was intoxicated or high, they might not have been paying attention to traffic or been able to react in time to stop.
- Aggressive rage: an angry driver is a dangerous one. Some people tailgate or intentionally plow into the back of another vehicle out of road rage.
- Speeding: if the driver behind you was traveling at a speed that was too fast for the conditions, they might not have been able to stop in time to avoid hitting your car from behind.
To win a rear-end collision case you need to prove driver negligence, but you do not need to prove why they acted negligently.
Driver negligence can be proven with evidence that a driver violated a traffic law, such as failure to yield to the car stopping in front of them. Once this is established, it does not matter if the responsible driver failed to stop because they were texting, drowsy, or enraged. They are already liable in the eyes of the law.
Westbury Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Insurance Adjuster Traps to Avoid
Use caution when dealing with insurance companies after your accident. Some of the tactics that insurance companies may use to derail your right to compensation include:
- Blaming you: claims adjusters sometimes tell victims that they are partially responsible for the accident as a way to reduce their settlement offer. This is not necessarily true and should be investigated before you agree.
- Recorded statements: an adjuster could record statements you give them and use them as evidence to reduce or deny your claim later. You are not obligated to answer an adjuster’s questions about the accident.
- A low offer: if an adjuster offers you a quick settlement offer, it could be tempting due to your immediate financial need. However, signing off on a low settlement offer could prevent you from recovering more compensation that you need, deserve and would otherwise be entitled to, later.
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we passionately advocate for our injured clients. For the reasons set forth above, we suggest you have no direct communication with the at-fault party’s insurance carrier at all. Please, for your benefit, leave that to us. We negotiate with insurance companies all the time, and they do not intimidate us. When you hire us, we will handle the communications with the insurance company on your behalf. Call us today at (516) 932-0400 to get started with a free consultation.
Call a Westbury Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Office Today
Our rear-end collisions lawyers are standing by to press your rights. You can expect our lawyers to:
- Communicate with you the entire time.
- Determine who is liable for your injuries.
- Speak with the courts and insurance companies so you do not have to.
- Collect evidence to build the strongest possible case on your behalf
- Determine what amount of money you are owed.
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400 for a no-cost case evaluation.
You can rest assured knowing our firm operates on a contingency-fee-basis where we do not collect payment from you until you receive a settlement offer or awards in court.