Home » How to Obtain a Car Accident Police Report in New York City or Long Island

How to Obtain a Car Accident Police Report in New York City or Long Island

It is easy to obtain a car accident police report for accidents that happened in the City of New York or on Long Island. It has been our experience that the easiest way to get a report for accidents that happened in the City of New York is to visit any NYPD precinct.  The easiest way to get a report for an accident that happened on Long Island is to visit the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles website. (https://dmv.ny.gov/)

Requesting Your Accident Report from the Police Station

Use the Incident Report provided by the investigating officer at the scene to obtain the report directly from the precinct if the accident took place in the City of New York or to request the report online, at https://dmv.ny.gov/ if the accident took place in Nassau County or Suffolk County

In the City of New York there is no fee to obtain a copy of the report. (Of course, the rule providing a “free report” can change. Please call the precinct before visiting to confirm that is still the policy).

What to Do If You Do Not Have the Receipt

Sometimes, people need a Police Accident Report and they do not have the Incident Report. For example, if you are a passenger or pedestrian that was involved in an accident, it is quite likely that the responding officers did not provide you with any documentation. 

If you do not have the receipt, give the clerk:

  • Your full name
  • Date of the accident
  • Approximate time and location of the accident
  • A license plate number of at least one of the involved vehicles

The clerk should be able to use this information to retrieve your case details.

Requesting Your Accident Report from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles

For accidents that occurred in Nassau County or Suffolk County, we have found it best to request the report from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV). There are two ways to request your accident report:

  • Online: To obtain your accident report online, you will need a credit or debit card and you must fill out this form. You must have at least one of the following pieces of information: the plate number of a vehicle involved in the accident, or the 8-digit DMV case number (which can be found on the Incident Report). The cost of requesting a report online is $22 ($7 for the search fee, $15 for the report). Of course, fees are subject to change.
  • By mail: We greatly prefer utilizing the online request method because of the immediacy of the results so that other necessary documentation (No Fault Benefits Application, NF-2, for example) can be filed promptly. However, for those who prefer mail, the procedure is as follows: To obtain a report through the mail, you must fill out a Request for Copy of Accident Report. The form asks you to provide as much information as possible about the accident (e.g., when and where the accident occurred, the police precinct that responded, the license plate numbers of any involved vehicles, etc.). The cost of requesting a copy by mail is $25 (a $10 search fee and a $15 report fee). Again, fees are subject to change.

Whether you obtain the police accident report online or by mail, be sure to save proof of payment as you may submit this to the No-Fault Insurance carrier for reimbursement.

What To Do If You Believe the Police Report Is Incorrect

Because the police were likely not there when the accident occurred, the accident report might be incorrect. If so, you can seek to amend the report. Please note, since the report is the product of the responding officer’s investigation, the decision as to whether or not to amend the report is generally subject to the officer’s discretion.

We recognize that the Police Accident Report may be wrong. We advocate for you. If your recollection of the accident, the physical evidence or witness statements vary from the account in the police accident report, we will vigorously fight to prove that the accident happened in a manner consistent with your testimony and that the police report is incorrect. 

Why You Need the Accident Report for Your Case

The police report contains facts of the car accident, as well as the opinions of the people involved. Insurance companies use it to conduct their own investigations. It can also help prove how the accident occurred. The report contains notes from the investigating officer, and includes information such as:

  • Insurance information for all involved vehicles
  • Distances between landmarks and other objects
  • Contact information for the motorists and witnesses
  • The damage done to the vehicles
  • The weather conditions
  • A diagram of the accident scene
  • Statements from the involved parties
  • Violations of the law
  • Opinions of drivers, witnesses, and the officers who responded to the accident

This report may help us in:

  • Proving the accident occurred
  • Proving fault
  • Identifying insurance carriers to contact and put on notice
  • Linking your injuries to your accident

If you are having trouble obtaining your accident report, our team can help. We can obtain the report from police or from the NYSDMV as we perform our investigation into your accident.

Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for Help Recovering Compensation

The Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. car accident team wants to help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other losses. We will gather all necessary evidence, establish fault, and handle all other elements of your accident case. This allows you to focus on recovering from your injuries.

We want you to be as comfortable as possible as we are handling your case, so we employ a multilingual staff that can assist you in:

  • English
  • Spanish
  • Tamil
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Greek

Call us today to see how a car accident lawyer can help you recover the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other accident-related losses. The consultation is free, and we do not recover attorney’s fees unless and until you recover compensation: 516-932-0400.

Do not delay. Various time period limitations apply to your case and failure to act promptly can negatively affect your rights. The sooner you contact us the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible for you. 

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

English English Spanish Spanish
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Click to call

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.