Burn injuries leave mental and physical scars. These scars may be extremely difficult to deal no matter what the circumstances were that brought them about. But knowing that someone else is responsible for your injuries adds another, often terribly frustrating element to the recovery process.
You have options, however. Claims and legal action provide compensation to those who suffered injuries because of another party’s negligence. The team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will protect your rights and provide you with powerful advocacy as we fight for the accountability you deserve from the at-fault party. If you become our personal injury client, we will manage every detail of your case, from submitting documentation to championing your best interests in the courtroom. Call our office to learn more today during a free consultation.
- Do I Have a Burn Injury Case?
- Burn Injury Grades
- Burn Injury Damages
- Should I Hire a North Bellmore Burn Injury Lawyer?
- Don’t Wait to Call Us – Our North Bellmore Burn Injury Lawyer Will Help
Do I Have a Burn Injury Case?
If you found us, you likely have two questions:
- Am I eligible for compensation?
- If so, what’s next?
Eligibility for compensation hinges on negligence. In a legal context, negligence is the “failure to meet a standard of behavior established to protect society against unreasonable risk.” In plain English, negligence involves someone making an avoidable mistake that caused your injuries.
Examples of burn injury negligence include:
- A driver exceeding the speed limit before causing an accident (car accidents often involve burn injuries)
- A business failing to meet safety standards, leading to a dangerous fire
- A restaurant improperly training their employees, causing an unsafe spill of scalding-hot liquid
While these examples are distinct, they share one commonality: those hurt have the right to pursue compensation. Therefore, to successfully file a burn injury insurance claim or lawsuit, you must prove another party caused your burn injuries.
The lawyers and team of legal professionals at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., have extensive experience investigating and building compelling cases that prove the liability of the at-fault party. First, a North Bellmore burn injury lawyer from our team will review your case. Then, we will use available evidence to work toward proving the liability of another party. Possible examples of evidence include:
- Footage of the accident
- Expert input – we work alongside medical specialists, life care planners, and economists to get all the details right
- Witness statements
- Police or incident reports
- Your medical records
What Are My Options?
Burn injuries fall within a broader category of law known as personal injury. Generally, these cases are settled one of two ways:
- An out-of-court settlement: Personal injury cases are frequently settled via out-of-court settlements. These settlements repay victims for their damages in exchange for not continuing to seek legal action against the responsible party. Liability insurers are often involved in out-of-court settlements. In many cases, even when a lawsuit is filed, a settlement is reached before a trial occurs.
- Civil trial: A civil trial will occur if out-of-court settlement negotiations don’t produce a desirable result. During this process, both sides will make their case before a judge and jury. Then, the jury will decide the outcome of the case.
For a free legal consultation with a Burn Injury lawyer serving North Bellmore, call 516-932-0400
Burn Injury Grades
The severity of your burn injuries relates to your claim’s outcome. Generally, the more severe your injuries, the more you are likely to receive in a settlement.
Burn injuries are graded the following way:
- First-degree or superficial burns: First-degree burns, while uncomfortable, are typically minor and don’t require medical intervention. For example, sunburns are first-degree burns in most cases. Treatment options include aloe vera and antibiotic ointment.
- Second-degree or partial thickness burns: Second-degree burns cause considerable discomfort, swelling, blistering, and redness. Like first-degree burns, they don’t typically require medical intervention.
- Third-degree or full-thickness burns: Third-degree burns destroy the upper two layers of skin, frequently causing damage to muscles, joints, and ligaments. Third-degree burns often lead to disfigurement, scarring, and disability. Skin grafts are one treatment option among many.
The size and severity of your burn injury affect recovery times and treatment options. More minor burns only take a few weeks to heal, whereas a severe third-degree burn could require years of recovery and many thousands of dollars of medical treatment.
North Bellmore Burn Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Burn Injury Damages
The value of a burn injury case is, in large part, a function of the extent of damages. Damages can be understood as subcategories of losses. Each type of loss constitutes a form of damage that a burn victim may receive compensation for.
These damages subcategories fall into one of two groups:
- Economic damages: Anything with an exact price tag attached to it is an economic loss. Think medical costs and other out-of-pocket expenses as well as calculable lost earnings which resulted from your burn injuries.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages account for the emotional aftermath of your burn injuries and other priceless losses. Examples include mental anguish and impaired quality of life.
Together economic and non-economic damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Impaired quality of life
- Property damages
A North Bellmore burn injury lawyer from our firm will assess your case so that you know precisely which damages you qualify for. You don’t need to guess about your eligibility to recover damages without legal assistance.
What Is My Case Worth?
The value of a burn injury case hinges on several factors, including:
- The grade of your burn injuries
- The degree to which it can be shown that the at-fault party’s negligence caused your injuries
- The law firm you work with
- Whether your case involves a civil trial
- The outcome of settlement negotiations
- The amount of evidence you or your lawyer gathers
I Lost a Loved One. What’s Next?
Wrongful death damages apply to cases involving fatalities. If such a tragic loss is what has brought you to this page, we extend our heartfelt condolences. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we believe working on wrongful death burn injury cases and fighting for the surviving family members is a privilege. We are here for you and your family. Dealing with wrongful death cases isn’t just about the fight – it’s also about providing compassion, empathy, and understanding, all values our firm strives to embody.
These damages are available to those who lost a loved one:
- Grief and anguish
- Reduced familial earning capacity
- Medical expenses incurred before you lost your loved one
- Pain and suffering your loved one experienced
Should I Hire a North Bellmore Burn Injury Lawyer?
Under New York state law, you don’t have to hire a lawyer if you plan to file a burn injury claim. However, fighting for compensation alone isn’t easy. Aggressive insurers, legal complexities, and settlement negotiations present considerable hurdles – dealing with these challenges alone can be overwhelming.
Rather than deal with all the stress of a legal claim or lawsuit, from communicating with adverse insurers and defense lawyers, to meeting deadlines to making sure every criticl technical detail is attended to , we can provide you with committed legal representation. We offer the following services to our clients:
- Keeping you updated on your case’s status
- Identifying the liable (responsible for your injuries) party
- Communicating with all parties for you
- Gathering evidence to prove your case
- Determining your case’s value
We designed these services with two goals in mind:
- Secure the compensation you deserve.
- Give you breathing room to recover from your injuries – rest is more important than haggling with the liable party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Don’t Wait to Call Us – Our North Bellmore Burn Injury Lawyer Will Help
If you suffered burn injuries in North Bellmore, N.Y., the time to act is now. The personal injury statute of limitations constrains the time our attorneys will seek damages by filing a burn injury lawsuit for you. Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., for a free case consultation today.