If you suffered construction accident injuries, you may be able to recover financial damages through a personal injury case. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages caused by missed work, emotional suffering, pain, and more.
A North Bellmore construction accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help you by building and presenting the strongest case possible on your behalf. Call us today for a free case evaluation.
In This Article
- Workers’ Compensation Versus a Personal Injury Case
- Third-Party Liability in Construction Accidents
- Recoverable Damages in a Third-Party Construction Accident Case
- Filing a Wrongful Death Case for a Fatal Construction Accident
- Common Causes of Construction Accidents
- Frequently Reported Construction Accident Injuries
- How a North Bellmore Construction Accident Lawyer Can Help
- Statute of Limitations in New York Injury and Wrongful Death Cases
- Our History of Construction Accident Case Results
- How Our Fee Structure Works
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a Free Consultation Today
Workers’ Compensation Versus a Personal Injury Case
In New York State, employers who maintain Workers’ Compensation insurance to protect their employees have a defense to a direct lawsuit brought by an injured employee seeking to recover damages by claiming that the employer’s negligence caused the accident and resulting injuries.
If a worker is hurt on the job, it is likely that they are entitled to compensation from their employer’s workers’ compensation policy. Workers’ compensation typically covers medical bills and a portion of an injured worker’s lost income. Unfortunately, in many cases, Workers’ Compensation is inadequate to fully compensate an injured worker for the full scope of the harm they have suffered.
However, if a third party’s negligence caused or contributed to your accident, you may be able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against them. A personal injury lawsuit could help you recover compensation for non-economic damages, like your pain and mental suffering.
A successful third-party lawsuit may be possible when:
- The party owed a duty of care.
- The party failed to uphold the duty of care.
- You were injured or a loved one was injured or tragically, killed as a result of this breach of duty.
- You sustained financial damages.
For a free legal consultation with a construction accidents lawyer serving North Bellmore, call 516-932-0400
Third-Party Liability in Construction Accidents
The party liable for your injuries may be an individual or entity. There are a great number of ways a third party can cause or contribute to a serious construction-related accident. For example, your construction accident may have involved:
- Equipment malfunctions caused by design or manufacturing defects
- Defective or improperly erected scaffolding
- Negligence on the part of a contractor or subcontractor
- A car accident that occurred on the construction site
- An unsafe condition caused by the property owner’s negligence
- Slip and fall hazards
- Electrical hazards
- Exposure to toxic materials
North Bellmore Construction Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Recoverable Damages in a Third-Party Construction Accident Case
The types of damages you may be able to recover through a third-party lawsuit will be influenced by many different factors, including the circumstances of the accident and the severity of your injuries.
Lost Income and Benefits from Missed Work
You may need to take off a considerable amount of time from work while recovering from your injuries. Workers’ compensation insurance typically only covers part of an injured worker’s lost income. Through a personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to recover compensation for all of your lost wages and benefits.
Medical Bills and Future Medical Costs
A severe construction site accident will likely incur a great deal of medical expenses. You may be entitled to compensation for your current medical bills and future medical needs, such as follow-up appointments and rehabilitative care.
The following types of damages may be recoverable:
- Ambulance transportation
- Doctor appointments
- Medical tests and lab work
- Surgical procedures
- Physical therapy and other rehabilitative care
- Replacement services
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Modifications to your home or vehicle needed to accommodate your disability
Non-Economic Damages in a Construction Accident Case
A serious construction accident may not only result in medical bills and other financial burdens. It can also cause the victim or the victim’s family a great deal of pain and suffering.
One major difference between workers’ compensation coverage and a personal injury lawsuit is that the latter may allow you to recover compensation for your non-financial damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Diminished quality of life
Filing a Wrongful Death Case for a Fatal Construction Accident
If your loved one died in a fatal construction accident, the team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. extends our heartfelt condolences. While we understand that no amount of financial compensation through a wrongful death case can make up for this tragedy, we hope that it may, however, help you:
- Reduce the financial burden created by your loved one’s death
- Hold the at-fault party answerable for their negligent actions
- Make sure that other legally liable parties are held accountable
The types of damages available through a wrongful death case often include:
- Medical, funeral, and burial expenses
- Loss of the departed loved one’s financial support and services
- Loss of parental care and nurturing of the departed loved one’s children
- Loss of inheritance
- The decedent’s pain and suffering
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Causes of Construction Accidents
Building your case for compensation depends on understanding your injuries and how they happened. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) research and statistics, there are four safety hazards that often lead to construction accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents
- Being struck by objects
- Becoming caught in or between objects
- Accidental electrocutions
Construction accidents do not always happen on construction sites. Collisions with construction vehicles are another way people are injured in construction-related accidents. You can review your accident with one of our team members at no cost. Our subsequent investigation will uncover the cause and identify the responsible party or parties
Frequently Reported Construction Accident Injuries
Construction sites can range from residential to commercial and vary in size. Consequently, the conditions on these sites can lead to accidents involving a broad array of injury severity.
Common construction accident injuries can include:
- Burns and scars caused by electrical and chemical substances
- Head and neck injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (i.e., “TBI”) caused by falling objects and slip and fall accidents
- Spinal cord injuries resulting from same-level falls and falls from heights
- Cuts and lacerations caused by tools and by exposed nails, screws, etc.
- Bone fractures and breaks caused by falls, heavy equipment, and machinery
- Amputations caused by being caught in between dangerous objects and equipment
- Hearing loss caused by loud and jarring equipment and environment
- Stress injuries caused by long periods of repetitive motion
We will use your medical records and reports to prove the cause of your injuries and their subsequent costs. We will also obtain copies of any accident reports or internal reports about the accident and your injuries.
How a North Bellmore Construction Accident Lawyer Can Help
Filing a third-party lawsuit and successfully recovering compensation after a construction accident is a challenging process, both legally and personally. The team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help you develop a strong case. We will also provide support and legal guidance throughout your case.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will:
- Keep you informed and up to date regarding your case
- Identify the party or parties who are liable for the accident
- Communicate on your behalf with all parties
- Collect evidence and use it to strengthen your case
- Calculate a value for your damages
- Fight relentlessly to win the best possible outcome for you
Our multilingual staff means we can assist clients in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada. A North Bellmore construction accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will provide strong leadership and legal guidance as your case progresses.
Statute of Limitations in New York Injury and Wrongful Death Cases
There are time restrictions that will apply to your personal injury case, as outlined under New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214. Wrongful death cases are also subject to a statute of limitations, through New York Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1. It is crucial to act before the statute of limitations expires.
Depending upon the particular circumstances of your accident an even shorter statute than the ones above may apply to your case. Please call us for a case review that will examine the specifics of your situation so that we may inform you of your deadlines and lay out your options.)
There may also be a narrow window during which it is possible to gather witness statements or collect certain evidence, such as surveillance video, for example. The sooner you contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., the better opportunity we have to develop the strongest case possible for you.
Our History of Construction Accident Case Results
Construction accidents can change your physical ability and appearance and lead to lengthy and costly recovery times. Recent settlements and verdicts our clients have been awarded include:
- $9,876,000 for a steamfitter who suffered back, ankle, and shoulder injuries from an accidental fall at a construction site
- $2,600,000 for a painter who suffered neck and foot injuries in an accidental fall injury.
- $1,600,000 for an airport worker who suffered from a disfiguring injury on the tarmac
- $1,250,000 for a worker who suffered back and knee injuries in an accidental fall
- $1,126,000 for a bridge painter who suffered a torn ankle tendon in an accidental fall
See our complete online case history on our case results page and see clients like Michael say: I hired Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to represent me…I received excellent service and the best possible outcome.
How Our Fee Structure Works
We will represent you on a contingency fee basis. This fee structure means we are only compensated when you are. We will accept a percentage of your financial recovery — whether by settlement or verdict — in lieu of hourly fees and a traditional retainer.
Our contingency fee agreement means you pay nothing out of your own pocket and nothing upfront. It also means we cover every cost involved in preparing, negotiating, and filing your case for you.
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a Free Consultation Today
If you were hurt or a loved one was killed in a construction accident, you may be able to obtain compensation and hold the at-fault party accountable through a lawsuit. A North Bellmore construction accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help.
Our firm has a multilingual staff and can assist clients in different languages. Call us today for a free case assessment.