At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we know how devastating truck accidents are. Your personal life, your career, and your family might never be the same again. If you need compensation to help rebuild your life, a North Bellmore truck accident lawyer will fight to win it for you. Call our office for a free consultation. We have team members standing by to take your call right now.
In This Article
- Your Truck Accident Could Qualify You for Compensation
- Calculating How Much Money You Are Entitled to Receive
- A North Bellmore Truck Accident Lawyer Is Ready to Assist You
- Contact One of Our Truck Accident Team Members Today
Your Truck Accident Could Qualify You for Compensation
According to the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS), there were over 4,000 large truck accidents in New York State in 2019. Truck accidents are, on average, far more dangerous than car accidents; while 71 percent of car accidents involved multiple vehicles, 87 percent of large truck accidents involved more than one vehicle.
After a truck accident caused by someone else, you deserve justice and either a fair settlement or experienced, dedicated legal representation for your day in court, seeking to win what you deserve. Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will fight relentlessly to obtain the best result possible for you.
Who to Sue After a Truck Accident
One of the first things we will do is determine who is legally responsible for your crash. The liable party might turn out to be:
- The shipper
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck broker
- The truck maintenance contractor
- The road maintenance contractor
- A truck part manufacturer
- A combination of the above
In most (if not all) cases, the above entities will carry insurance against lawsuits. This means that we, acting on your behalf, must convince the insurance company that their insured party caused your accident, that the accident caused your injuries, and that your injuries are serious enough to warrant the amount of money you are asking for.
How Truck Accidents Happen in North Bellmore, N.Y.
A truck accident can have various causes, just as it can have one or multiple at-fault parties. Commonly reported truck accident causes include:
- Driver behaviors. These can include distracted driving, driver fatigue, drug or alcohol intoxication, speeding, and other traffic violations.
- Truck maintenance issues. This can include faulty vehicle maintenance or no maintenance at all.
- Faulty parts. This can include tires, windshield wipers, mirrors, and brakes that fail to perform up to par.
Additional truck accident causes include improperly loaded cargo, hours-of-service-violations, and inadequate truck driver training. Our team will thoroughly investigate to ensure we understand the cause of your accident and pursue the appropriate at-fault party as well as any other legally liable party. (For example, a vehicle owner or a driver’s employer may not be at-fault in the sense of having caused the accident, but would still be liable under rules pertaining to what is referred to as vicarious liability.)
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving North Bellmore, call 516-932-0400
Calculating How Much Money You Are Entitled to Receive
To qualify for damages, you have to meet the threshold of “serious injury” codified in New York Civil Insurance Laws § 5102 (d). If you do meet these criteria, then you have the right to sue for the following types of damages.
Truck accidents often cause physical and emotional injuries that affect all aspects of your life, both in the short term and for the rest of your life. These are referred to as non-economic damages. They include:
- Pain and suffering: The accident caused you physical and/or psychological distress.
- Impaired quality of life: It is much more difficult or even impossible for you to perform your regular daily tasks (e.g., looking after your kids or yourself).
- Disability: The accident resulted in the loss of use of any body part, system, or function.
- Loss of consortium: The accident has affected various aspects of your relationship with your spouse, from intimacy to changes in the sharing of physical chores.
Aside from the physical and emotional toll described above, truck accidents also take a financial toll on their victims. These monetary losses, referred to as economic damages, include:
- Lost wages: The accident and/or your accident injuries prevented you from going to work.
- Lost earning capacity: Earning a living is now much more difficult, as your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job or working as many hours as before.
- Medical bills: This includes the cost of any type of professional medical treatment you received, as well as any qualifying travel expenses.
- Repair costs: The accident damaged or destroyed your car, forcing you to have it fixed or replaced.
The above discussion of damages relates to personal injury cases. If the need to file a wrongful death case is what has led you to this page, we are truly sorry for your loss. We are able to provide you with the compassionate yet effective legal representation you may be seeking. While we are especially sensitive to the challenges faced by surviving family members of truck accident wrongful death victims, we are also relentless in our determination to win the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Damages you can recover for the wrongful death of a loved one include:
- Your loved one’s funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of your loved one’s financial contributions
- Loss of your loved one’s household contributions
- Loss of consortium, (explained above,) companionship, and society
We also make sure you understand which family members can file a wrongful death action and how much time you have to do so. Just call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at (516) 932-0400 for all the information you need.
Do Not Wait to Pursue the At-Fault Party
Your right to file a lawsuit is limited to a specific period. With enough notice from you, our car accident lawyer will ensure you do not run out of time to recover damages.
In North Bellmore, the following filing deadlines apply:
- The personal injury statute of limitations found in New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 applies if you or someone you love was injured.
- The wrongful death statute of limitations found in Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1 applies if a loved one was fatally injured.
Depending upon the unique circumstances of your case, If settlement negotiations are prolonged, or a fair and appropriate settlement is not forthcoming, we will file your lawsuit within the allotted time to make sure that your rights are protected. We take this step to ensure you do not inadvertently relinquish your right to compensation simply because an important deadline was missed. We are determined to have your claims evaluated based on their merits. All the harm done to you and the damages that have resulted must be considered. Your case should never fail because a filing date was missed
North Bellmore Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
A North Bellmore Truck Accident Lawyer Is Ready to Assist You
After a truck accident, you have enough to worry about. Instead of trying to handle your case alone, let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. do all of the hard work. We will take all necessary steps to get you the monetary damages that you and your family need. Among other things, your lawyer will:
- Keep you updated on your case: We will never leave you in the dark about your case.
- Identify liable parties: By investigating every aspect of your crash, we will find out who you should sue for compensation.
- Communicate with all parties for you: You do not ever have to speak to or meet with the liable party, their lawyer, or their insurance company.
- Gather evidence: We will turn to medical records, police reports, surveillance footage, witness testimony, and any other available sources to prove the severity of your injuries.
- Determine a value for your case: Quantifying your damages is complicated. Your lawyer will make sure that you ask for the right amount of (and types of) compensation.
- Fight relentlessly to win:Our goal is nothing less than securing the best possible outcome for you.
We provide our clients with responsive, compassionate, and convenient legal services. If you are unable to visit our office for any reason, we will meet you anywhere on Long Island or in the New York metropolitan area. If you ever have a question or a concern about your case, we encourage you to pick up the phone and call.
Finally, we work for a contingency fee, so you only have to pay us if you receive your money. Our caring and concerned multilingual staff assist clients in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada.
See Why Others Trust Our Law Firm and You Can, Too
We are passionate advocates for injured clients and never stop fighting for fair compensation. Past clients share the following:
- F. Weir: I had a very bad accident that hospitalized me for months including rehab…I needed somebody to represent me, and I found Friedman and Simon…They got us big financial results…I would definitely recommend them to anyone needing to be represented for wrongful injury.
- Michael Amato: The entire team at Friedman & Simon treated me like family. They listened to all of my concerns and help me through the entire process after my injury. From medical concerns to insurance concerns to walking me through the legal steps, they were with me every step of the way. They were always available for me like a group of good friends during a tough time of my life.
Your case is a priority for our law firm. Our truck accident team and every member of our staff are committed to obtaining compensation for you.
Click to contact our North Bellmore Personal Injury Lawyers today
Contact One of Our Truck Accident Team Members Today
You have a limited amount of time to sue for compensation due to both state laws and the availability of witnesses to testify on your behalf. The sooner you call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., the more time we have to build a case for you. A North Bellmore truck accident lawyer will assume all of your legal responsibilities for no upfront fees.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form