Spinal cord injuries can take months or even years to reach some level of recovery. These terrible injuries can also make a catastrophic and permanent change in your life. If you have such an injury, we know it can be a source of daily heartbreak for you and your family.
Our Long Island personal injury lawyers stand ready to fight for you. Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will approach your case with compassion and a fierce determination to recover the highest possible settlement or judgment so you can focus on healing.
If someone else’s negligence caused your injury, we believe you deserve the compensation necessary to best deal with the change of circumstances that have been placed upon you. To the full extent possible, the responsible party should pay to cover your damages and lighten some of your burdens.
- Recoverable Damages for a Spinal Cord Injury
- How Our Long Island Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Work
- Statute of Limitations for Your Spinal Cord Injury Case
- Proving Liability in an Injury Case
- Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
Recoverable Damages for a Spinal Cord Injury
Our personal injury attorneys are passionate advocates for you and others suffering from spinal cord injuries. We will champion your cause to recover damages like:
- Medical expenses, including but not limited to hospital care and rehab, short- and long-term care, medical equipment and devices, and prescriptions. Covering such expenses is critically important, especially because some spinal cord injury sufferers will see costs soar into the millions over a lifetime.
- Lost wages or income. From the day of your injury and for weeks, months, or even years after, your ability to work in your chosen profession will likely be affected. The wages you lose while unable to work must be recovered. If your injury is severe and permanent, you will probably retire from working life. The income you would have generated over your expected working life will no longer be there, and compensation for that is also a necessity.
- The pain and suffering you experience now and over your lifetime with a spinal cord injury are compensable, as is the loss of companionship with your family and significant others. Injuries such as yours sometimes alter one’s ability to carry on in a familiar and loving parental or spousal role.
Our personal injury attorneys will battle for your rights, as we do for all our clients. Since 1991, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for them. Advocating for the injured is our passion.
If what brings you to us is the loss of a loved one from a spinal cord injury, you have our deepest sympathies. For us, it is an honor to represent you in the fight to ensure your loved one’s wrongful death is recognized and that you and other family members receive the compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a Spinal Cord Injury lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
How Our Long Island Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Work
We will meet with you on Long Island or anywhere in the New York metropolitan area to discuss the events leading up to your injury, the injury itself, and all that has transpired since that day. We answer the questions weighing on your mind and if at that point you feel you’d like to move forward, we start work on your case.
Throughout our time together, our spinal cord injury attorneys will:
- Provide a consistent flow of information about your case. You don’t have to wonder what’s happening. We make sure you’re always informed.
- Identify liable parties
- Communicate on your behalf with all the involved parties
- Gather evidence in support of your case
- Determine a value for your case
- Identify expert witnesses, including medical experts, vocational rehab specialists, life care planners, and economists
- In addition to the work our attorneys do, our staff provides a multilingual experience for you. Please let us know if you prefer to speak in English, Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, or Kannada.
- Advocate tirelessly on your behalf, with the goal of winning the best possible case result for you
Value of Your Case
Calculating the value of your case will depend on several factors including the severity of your injuries, the extent of your expenses, how much income you are losing, how much income you stand to lose in the future, and your earning capacity. We will determine which damages apply to your case and calculate the amount of compensation that will adequately cover your losses.
Damages such as pain and suffering are more challenging to calculate, but our education, training, and over three decades of successfully representing spinal cord injury victims enable us to determine the dollar amount that compensates you appropriately and serves justice.
It is important to note that New York also does not cap the amount of compensation you are able to receive, and our law firm has experience recovering multi-million dollar settlements for victims of negligence like you.
Your Costs for Legal Counsel
Our attorneys provide a free consultation for you. This allows us to learn about you and your injury, and you to ask questions of us. If you decide to move forward, you will not pay attorneys’ fees unless we recover a verdict or settlement for you as our work is provided on a contingency-fee-basis.
We believe your financial status should not obstruct your ability to access competent legal representation.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Accolades, Community Works, and Testimonials
Our personal injury attorneys have won multiple awards, including:
The National Trial Lawyers: New York Top 100
Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®
Avvo Clients’ Choice Award and Avvo’s highest rating of 10 Superb
We are honored to support the youth in our community with an annual Academic Scholarship. Helping young people get a start in life is important to all of us at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
The last word belongs to our clients, as it should:
“Roger and Eddie. Are really, gr8 guys. I had an accident 3 years back after the accident my life completely changed. My spine was injured very badly but Roger and Eddie took care of me. I and my family are very grateful to them. Sir love you and the whole team. God bless you and the whole team.” – Mayur M.
“The driver of a car that ran a red light at high speed crashed into the car that I was driving . . . resulted in the death of that other driver and in a terrible, live-changing injury to my spine . . . Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. was fighting for me against an insurance company that did not see me as a badly hurt person . . . For anyone looking for a lawyer after an accident, I would give my highest recommendation to Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.” – Michael
Long Island Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Statute of Limitations for Your Spinal Cord Injury Case
There is a time limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit, according to New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214. The clock starts, under most circumstances, when the event happens. It’s important to be mindful of acting quickly. If you wait too long, you won’t be allowed to file a lawsuit. The courts will simply dismiss your case once the other side makes a motion for dismissal because the statute of limitations expired in your case. We understand you may want to take your time to consider your options, but we strongly recommend consulting an attorney as soon as possible after suffering a personal injury.
The earlier we begin work on your case, the more likely we’ll be able to speak with witnesses while the event is fresh in their memories. We’ll also be more likely to collect visual data from cameras before it is gone, giving us the strongest possibility of a successful outcome.
Proving Liability in an Injury Case
Our attorneys work on your behalf to compile evidence illustrating the harm done to you by the accident and to identify who was liable, or legally responsible, for your injury. To prove liability, we must address and prove the following:
- Duty of care — the defendant had a responsibility to use reasonable care to protect the safety of others, for example, a driver should drive safely and as expected rather than run red lights and put others at risk of harm
- Breached duty of care — the defendant did not meet the required duty of care and was negligent
- Causation — you, the plaintiff, suffered injuries because the defendant breached his or her duty of care
- Damages — you, the plaintiff, should receive damages, usually in the form of compensation, for the harm and losses you’ve suffered
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
Our attorneys care about you. We will fight for your rights because we are passionate about standing up for the injured. A spinal cord injury lawyer is ready to talk to you about your case on Long Island.
Call us today if you suffered a spinal cord injury in one of the four counties on Long Island. We are on your side.