There is no meaningful average back injury settlement amount, as each case is different. Settlement amounts are unique depending on your injuries and accident-related losses. Even if you suffered the same injury as someone else, you could recover vastly different settlements.
Suffering a back injury in the workplace or a traumatic event such as a car accident has the potential to impact your long-term physical health and leave you with costly medical bills and other expenses. You should not have to pay for the financial aftermath of an injury you did not cause.
A Long Island spinal cord injury lawyer will determine the value of your case so you recover the compensation you deserve to cover your losses.
- What Is the Value of Your Back Injury Case?
- What Damages Could a Lawyer Recover in a Back Injury Case?
- How Will a Personal Injury Lawyer Benefit Your Back Injury Case?
- When Will You Receive Your Back Injury Settlement?
- Is There a Deadline to File a Lawsuit for a Back Injury?
- Learn More About the Average Back Injury Settlement Today
What Is the Value of Your Back Injury Case?
There is no way to determine how much your case is worth without assessing the details of your accident. If you bring your spinal injury case to an attorney, they will consider the following factors before assigning your case a value:
- The severity of your spinal cord injury
- Expert witness opinions
- Total cost of your expenses
- How much income you lost and will lose because of your injury
- Your diminished earning capacity
- Insurance policy limits
- Available evidence to support your claim
A back injury, and more specifically, trauma to the spinal cord, could be debilitating and leave you with a disability that impacts you for the rest of your life. You might not be able to work, and you could need long-term medical care. A personal injury lawyer will be able to calculate the value of your claim and negotiate a settlement that adequately covers the damages that apply to you.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
What Damages Could a Lawyer Recover in a Back Injury Case?
Damages are the losses you suffer due to a back injury or another type of injury. Causes of back injury include motor vehicle collisions, workplace accidents, and construction accidents. There are two types of damages you could recover: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages have a verifiable monetary value and include:
- Medical costs and future costs of treatment
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Home modifications to accommodate serious injuries
- Household services
- Child care
- Physical therapy
Non-economic damages are more challenging to calculate a value for and include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
There are no caps on the amount of compensation you could recover for damages in New York. A lawyer from our firm will work to determine which damages apply to your potential settlement, so you will be able to ask for an amount that adequately covers your losses. Feel free to view our case results.
How Will a Personal Injury Lawyer Benefit Your Back Injury Case?
The liable party and their insurance provider will have their own team of lawyers working against you because they want to pay out as little as possible to you. Having a personal injury lawyer on your side provides you with an advocate who protects your best interests and works to secure an appropriate settlement.
If you choose to obtain the services of a lawyer for your personal injury claim, they will:
- Conduct an investigation of the cause of your injuries
- Determine the liable party or parties and whether they are responsible for your injuries
- Calculate the value of the damages that apply to you and send a demand letter to the liable party and their insurance provider
- Gather evidence proving negligence and supporting your claim
- Negotiate a settlement with the liable party and the insurer to secure an appropriate amount of compensation that covers your losses
- Evaluate any settlement offers, which you are free to accept or reject
- Review the terms of any settlement agreement with you before you sign it because you will not be able to demand additional compensation in the future
- File a personal injury lawsuit if circumstances are such that doing so will result in the best-case outcome
Our law firm is passionate about holding negligent parties accountable and seeking compensation and justice for victims like you. We have a multilingual staff to assist you if you speak another language, and we will travel to your location on Long Island or within the New York metro area if you are unable to come to our office.
When Will You Receive Your Back Injury Settlement?
There isn’t a set timeframe for settlement payouts. Like settlement amounts, the timespan of a case varies depending upon many factors. While our firm is dedicated to winning the best possible case result for you in the shortest amount of time, cases can take anywhere from several months to a number of years. We will be happy to discuss the different ways your case may progress in a free, no-obligation case review. ,
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Is There a Deadline to File a Lawsuit for a Back Injury?
You will forfeit the ability to recover compensation through the legal process if you fail to file a lawsuit by the deadline set forth by CPLR § 214. Depending upon the unique facts of your accident case, a shorter statute of limitations may apply. We suggest, in the strongest terms possible, that you consult an experienced and dedicated personal injury law firm to discuss your case as soon as possible. Building a personal injury case takes time, so you should keep the statute of limitations in mind when considering filing a claim or lawsuit.
In addition, accident victims generally only have 30 days to file a workers’ compensation claim in New York.
We will work to meet all deadlines in your personal injury case so you retain the option to file a lawsuit.
Learn More About the Average Back Injury Settlement Today
Back injuries are potentially debilitating injuries that could cause you to miss work. You could require serious medical treatment such as surgery and suffer a loss of strength and mobility that takes time to regain if you are able to regain it at all.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. truly sympathizes with you during this painful time. Our personal injury attorneys will fight to recover the compensation you deserve so you regain a sense of normalcy and are able to begin the process of moving forward without financial or legal stress weighing you down.
If you or someone you love was hurt in an accident at work, an auto accident, or another traumatic incident, we invite you to call us for a free consultation to discuss your case or learn more about the average back injury settlement. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t pay us unless we win. Find out how our accident lawyers will help you today.