The State Assembly has passed a law named after a young boy who fell into a grease trap and died nearly two years ago. WHAM reports.
“Bryce’s Law” will require additional protections for grease traps to prevent unauthorized access and to withstand unexpected weight. When Bryce Raynor fell into a grease trap at a Tim Horton’s, he was dead within seconds.
Monroe County already passed a law for additional safeguards. Now the protections will be statewide. The bill passed unanimously. In addition to the extra protections, grease traps will also need to have warning signs and meet new building and fire codes.
“These provisions enacted by this legislation are common sense measures” Assemblywoman Sarah Clark said in a statement. “Bryce’s Law will go a long way to ensure this type of tragedy will never happen again in our community and throughout New York State.”
Many of our safety regulations are written in the blood of victims. The child in this accident was only three and had no idea that walking over a grease trap would pose a threat.
These traps are used to store old cooking oil for later disposal so it doesn’t go into major sewer lines. Grease doesn’t break down easily and can clump into ‘fatbergs’ that can block huge pipes.