Home » Property Claims » Property Claims » Can You Sue If You Get Hurt On Someone’s Property In New York?

Can You Sue If You Get Hurt On Someone’s Property In New York?

Sue If You Get Hurt On Someone’s Property In New York Get Hurt On Someone’s Property In New York

You may be able to sue if you get hurt on someone’s property in New York.

A slip and fall injury lawyer can evaluate your case to determine if another party was at fault for your injuries and establish liability for your damages. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical treatment, lost wages, pain and suffering, and related losses.

Who Is Responsible for Injuries You Sustain on Someone’s New York Property?

In most cases, the property owner is your liable party. Whether you can hold the property owner responsible for injuries you sustain on their property depends on whether they behaved negligently.

Property owners have a legal duty to reasonably protect visitors from undue harm. If they know or should have known about a hazard on their property, they must take action to resolve the issue. Until resolved, they must warn others about the hazard or take other appropriate steps to prevent an injury. If they fail to do so, they have behaved negligently and may be liable for your injuries.

Some common causes of premises liability accidents include:

  • Cracked concrete or asphalt
  • Missing handrails
  • Accumulated snow or ice
  • Spills and water leaks
  • Loose rugs or mats
  • Unsecured cables or cords
  • Unmarked steps and curbs
  • Insufficient lighting

For example, you sustained injuries after falling down a stairwell because of a broken handrail. You may have grounds to pursue a legal claim if the property owner knew the condition was a hazard but failed to take action to prevent an accident.

How Do You Prove Fault & Liability for Your Injuries?

The slip and fall lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will investigate your accident and injury to identify the party (or parties) who were responsible for your accident.

To prove liability, our attorneys must demonstrate these elements:

  • The property owner owed you a duty to keep their property safe from hazards.
  • The property owner failed in this regard.
  • This failure caused your injuries.
  • You suffered damages.

At a residence, for example, the property owner must maintain the sidewalks in a condition that others can safely walk on. If the property owner noticed a potentially hazardous concrete crack but failed to repair the problem or block the area, they may be liable for your damages if you fall because of the crack.

The same premises liability principles apply to commercial properties. However, commercial properties that are open to the public are often held to an even higher standard of care.

We Can Help You Hold the Property Owner Responsible

We understand this complex area of the law. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our legal team investigates and documents a premises liability injury case using information that may include:

  • Photos or videos of the hazard
  • Statements from witnesses
  • Accident reports
  • Safety or claims history
  • Expert opinions

New York law gives injured parties a short time to take legal action for injuries sustained while on someone else’s property. Contact our team today to ensure you do not lose your right to recover compensation for your damages.

How Much Are You Entitled to Recover?

If the property owner has liability for your accident and injuries, you may be entitled to recover all physical, emotional, and economic damages you sustained. This may include:

  • Medical treatment
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental anguish

If your injuries require future or ongoing care, you may have the right to recover compensation for your future medical treatment. If you cannot return to work or if you cannot resume your former job duties because of your injury, you may qualify for compensation for future income losses and diminished earning capacity.

If a loved one died from injuries they sustained on someone’s property, you may have grounds to pursue a wrongful death claim.

How a Slip, Trip and Fall Accident & Injury Lawyer Can Help You

A slip and fall lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can help you determine the best course of action for you, based on the details of your case. Since 1991, we have helped injured parties in New York, pursuing justice and helping them recover compensation for their damages.

After an injury such as yours, the property owner’s insurance company may contact you. It may request a statement, ask you to sign documents, or even offer you a quick — often very low — settlement for your injuries. Before you give a statement or agree to sign anything, contact our office for a free consultation. Otherwise, you could be giving up your legal right to pursue the compensation you deserve for your damages.

For a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at 516-932-0400.

Free Personal Injury Lawyer Consultation

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...

English English Spanish Spanish
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Click to call

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...