If you sustained injuries in a New York building, the premises liability team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you recover damages.
Since 1991, our attorneys have addressed the concerns of individuals who got hurt due to a New York property owner’s negligence. We will meet with you to discuss the details of your case, and if you hire us, we will not charge you any lawyer’s fees unless and until you receive compensation.
In This Article
- How Building Accidents Happen in New York
- How Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Will Work to Help Your Building Accident Case
- Determining Who is Liable for Your Building Accident in New York
- Establishing Liability for Your Building Accident Case
- Gathering Evidence to Substantiate our Claims
- Recoverable Damages for a Building Accident in New York
- New York’s Statute of Limitations
- Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.—Your Building Accident Lawyer in New York
How Building Accidents Happen in New York
Some of the types of building accidents we commonly see in our practice include those caused by:
- Spills and accumulated moisture
- Insufficient lighting
- Accumulated ice and snow
- Unsecured cables
- Missing handrails
- Potholes and broken asphalt
- Unmarked steps and curbs
- Broken or improperly built / dangerous size steps
- Loose rugs and mats
- Sunken or cracked concrete
Our firm handles these types of building accidents and all types of accidents on a property that were caused by the owner’s or some other third party’s negligence. (For example, if an outside third party, such as a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc., did work at the property and their negligence caused or contributed to the cause of injury to a person, that third party may be held liable as well.)
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
How Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Will Work to Help Your Building Accident Case
Our firm commits to delivering consistent, high-quality services, as well as honest client service. Toward this end, our clients know they can expect us to always:
- Keep them informed about the status of their cases
- Identify who is at fault for their accidents and establish liability
- Communicating with all parties and handling all other details of their cases
- Identifying recoverable damages—physical, economic, and emotional—to determine their cases’ value
Determining Who is Liable for Your Building Accident in New York
When the owner of a building fails to maintain their property, to repair hazardous problem areas promptly, and/or to alert visitors of the danger, accidents happen, and the property owner can be held liable. They also should be held liable if they knew about the hazard or should have known about it but did not take the necessary actions to prevent people from being injured by it.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Establishing Liability for Your Building Accident Case
When our legal team embarks on the task of establishing liability, we will do so in accordance with the “Duty of Care” principle that judges and juries expect to see. We will prove each of the following four arguments to validate your case:
- The property owner owed you a duty to take reasonable care to maintain their property for purposes of safety and to clearly alert occupants of existing or potential dangers.
- The property owner breached this duty, through negligent, careless, wrongful, or reckless actions or inactions.
- This negligence caused your building accident, which makes them liable for your damages.
- You experienced physical, economic, and/or emotional damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Gathering Evidence to Substantiate our Claims
Our legal team will execute an exhaustive investigation of your accident, collecting evidence in many forms to support our arguments of fault, negligence, and liability.
A building accident lawyer in New York’s investigative efforts will include, depending upon the unique circumstances of your case, taking some combination of the following actions:
- Visiting the scene of your building accident to document evidence
- Obtaining photos of the scene
- Seeking video footage, perhaps from surveillance cameras
- Interviewing witnesses
- Reviewing the property’s safety and maintenance records
- Gathering medical reports
- Obtain wage statements from your employer
- Enlisting the help of experts—economic, medical, occupational rehabilitation, and life-care planning
Recoverable Damages for a Building Accident in New York
While damages vary from one building accident case to the next, often the victims suffer serious injuries that necessitate medical treatment, ongoing care, and time away from work. This set of outcomes translates to a detailed list of potential types of damages you might recover in your claim. They include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ambulance transportation
- Lab tests and medical imaging
- Doctor’s care
- Surgeon’s fees
- Prescription medications
- Accessibility modifications to home/car
- Medical devices
- Lost wages
- Lost benefits
- Pain and suffering
If your injuries prevent you from returning to the job duties you once performed or that require ongoing care or future medical treatment, damage types will also include:
- Costs of future medical care and treatment
- Diminished future potential earnings
- Diminished quality of life
- Diminished earning capacity
In the unfortunate event that you have lost a loved one or family member as the result of injuries sustained in a building accident, you can pursue a wrongful death action. The legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will discuss this course of action with you. Call us at 516-932-0400 for a free case review.
New York’s Statute of Limitations
The state of New York establishes a timeframe during which any legal action must be taken following a building accident. Cases are also characterized by a variety of other time-deadlines. Our professional team will ensure your case is prosecuted in such a way that the statute of limitations and other deadlines are met in a timely manner.
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.—Your Building Accident Lawyer in New York
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. stands ready to fight for your right to receive compensation for the injuries you sustained in your New York building accident. Serving as building accident lawyers in New York, we are passionate advocates for the injured.
Call our office today at 516-932-0400 for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form