You should find a wrongful death lawsuit lawyer by asking questions about their experience, qualifications, and knowledge of similar cases. Among the numerous benefits of hiring an experienced and dedicated law firm is that your lawyer will be able to manage your case while you and your family grieve.
If you lost a loved one because of another party’s negligence, we extend our most sincere condolences. A wrongful death lawyer from our firm will guide you through the legal process and advocate for your best interests as we seek justice for you and your family.
- What Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- Finding the Right Wrongful Death Lawyer To Handle Your Lawsuit
- How Long Do You Have To Find a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Lawyer?
- Learn More About Finding a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Attorney Today
What Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil action filed by a personal representative of the decedent. The term “personal representative” as used here refers to an executor named in a will or an administrator who is appointed by the court when there is no will. In the State of New York, certain family members could benefit from the damages recovered in the wrongful death case.
The purpose of a wrongful death lawsuit is usually to recover compensation to pay for financial losses and to hold the liable party accountable for their negligence. A wrongful death attorney that specializes in these types of cases will be able to file a lawsuit on your behalf.
The lawyers at our firm know how to handle essential case tasks such as gathering evidence, determining liability, calculating the value of your case, and filing your lawsuit on time.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Finding the Right Wrongful Death Lawyer To Handle Your Lawsuit
A wrongful death lawsuit is a process that takes time. The right lawyer will navigate that process and handle the legal aspects of your case so you will be able to focus on spending time with your family. We understand that hiring the right lawyer is an important decision and it may feel challenging to find the right lawyer to handle your case.
There are many wrongful death attorneys in New York, so it’s understandable that you might be considering several options. Things you should consider as you search for the right lawyer to handle your case include:
- Qualifications and experience: Although lawyers can request special permission from a court to represent a client in a state where the lawyer is not admitted to practice, (known as a “pro hac vice” admission,) it is generally preferable to select a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in the state where you want to file a lawsuit. Check their qualifications to handle wrongful death lawsuits. How much experience do they have handling wrongful death lawsuits? Has the lawyer or law firm had success with accident injury cases generally and with wrongful death cases in particular? Has the lawyer or law firm recovered substantial sums of compensation for clients?
- Communication: Your lawyer should communicate with you regularly about the status of your case. They should be able to speak to you in non-technical terms that you understand and explain how the legal process works as your case progresses.
- Listens to you: You want a lawyer who will take the time to listen to you and answer any questions you have about your case.
- Pay structure: You should ask about the cost of hiring your lawyer. Most wrongful death lawyers work on a contingency-fee-basis, so you don’t pay unless they win your case. A lawyer should explain how their fee structure works in detail so there are no surprises.
- Schedule a consultation: One of the most effective ways to talk to a lawyer about your wrongful death case and determine if they are the right fit for you is to call them for a consultation. A consultation is typically free, and a member of the law firm will be able to answer your questions. After speaking with the lawyer, ask yourself, simply: Do they know their stuff? Do they have a track record of success? Do I believe they will work hard for me? Do I think I can get along well with them? Your answers to these questions should lead you in the right direction.
- View testimonials and case results: Many law firms feature case results on their websites, allowing you to see that they’ve reached success in other cases. You should also check if there are any testimonials about the law firm from past clients, as this allows you to learn about their experiences with the firm.
- Location: You should consider the location of the law firm you are thinking about hiring. Local lawyers usually provide easier access because you don’t have to travel far. Lawyers near you might also have connections to doctors or other experts they will refer you to if necessary.
You do not have to settle for a lawyer who you are not comfortable with as your legal advocate. Finding the right lawyer to take your case is vital, and doing some research will help you make a decision. Our law firm has over 30 years of experience handling wrongful death lawsuits for surviving families on Long Island and in the five boroughs of New York City.. We also assist clients with their cases in multiple languages.
A wrongful death lawsuit is about getting justice for your loved one and recovering compensation for your expenses. This money helps to provide a more secure financial future for your family.
How Long Do You Have To Find a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Lawyer?
While it’s understandable that you want to research your options before hiring an attorney to take your case, we urge you to keep in mind that the statute of limitations provides you with a limited amount of time to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you fail to file a lawsuit before the deadline in your case expires, you will lose your right to pursue compensation through the legal process.
Considerations of the statute of limitations aside, building a solid wrongful death lawsuit takes time. Your lawyer must investigate your case, determine liability, and gather evidence supporting your claim. We think it is very important to give yourself the advantage of giving your lawyer ample time to build the strongest case possible. We urge you to consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
Our law firm will work to meet all deadlines in your case. We are not afraid to fight for you in court to get the compensation you deserve if necessary.
Learn More About Finding a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Attorney Today
Finding a wrongful death attorney to take your case is a crucial step toward recovering compensation and holding the liable party accountable for your loved one’s pain and suffering.
You have choices, but performing some research and asking the right questions will assist you in choosing a lawyer who is the best fit for your situation and needs.
To learn more about finding a wrongful death lawsuit lawyer, or to talk to us about your case, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today for a free consultation.