You can get permanent damage from whiplash. One way this may happen is if you avoid medical treatment and subsequently reinjure yourself. In addition, research published in Pain and many other medical journals indicates that chronic pain is a common result of whiplash, often brought on by fear of re-injury and lack of proper treatment.
It is also possible to believe your pain is due to whiplash when you really have a more serious neck injury. As such, it is crucial to seek medical care if you are experiencing neck pain and other possible whiplash symptoms. Doing so can help limit the risk of your injury becoming much worse and give you valuable evidence for a future personal injury case, as well.
In This Article
- Visiting Your Doctor Can Help You Avoid Permanent Whiplash Damage
- Permanent Neck Injuries Could Qualify You to Seek Compensation
- An Attorney from Our Team Will Fight for Your Financial Recovery
- Let Our Law Firm Review Your Whiplash Injury Case for Free
Visiting Your Doctor Can Help You Avoid Permanent Whiplash Damage
When you see a physician about neck pain from an accident or other cause, they will help you determine if the source is whiplash or something more serious, such as a fracture or herniated disc. Such injuries could cause permanent harm, including numbness or weakness from nerve damage and even paralysis.
While the circumstances of a whiplash injury may not be as dire, it often causes debilitating pain in the neck, back, shoulders, and arms. If you did suffer a whiplash injury, studies like the one in Pain suggest that understanding the injury and how to treat it is vital for preventing or reducing chronic pain. Your doctor should help you address the various aspects of a whiplash injury:
- Pain: You may receive a prescription for pain medication or muscle relaxants to aid your recovery. Over-the-counter medications and hot/ cold compresses could also help relieve pain while you heal.
- Movement: While a short period of rest may be necessary to start the recovery process, stretches, exercises, and other forms of physical therapy may help restore your full range of motion.
- Psychological impact: Fear of re-injury and pain have been found to profoundly impact healing in those with whiplash injuries. The doctor will want to address your mental health to ensure you are fully on board with your recovery.
Once you have taken steps to address the injury, you may be interested in seeking compensation if someone else caused your whiplash. Receiving medical care often helps with this, as well.
Seeking Medical Attention Could Also Help Your Personal Injury Case
When another party’s actions cause you to suffer whiplash, having proof of this injury and its severity is vital for holding them financially accountable. Medical records are a significant piece of evidence our firm includes in a personal injury case. This documentation will:
- Outline the scope of the injury and the healing process
- Illustrate how much treatment will cost the victim over the course of their recovery
- Connect the injury to the accident that is the focal point of the personal injury case
Based on such evidence, our firm fights relentlessly to prove our client’s right to financial recovery after an accident.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Permanent Neck Injuries Could Qualify You to Seek Compensation
Under New York Insurance Law § 5104, suffering permanent damage from whiplash or another injury due to someone else’s actions—arising out of their negligent car driving—may make you eligible to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against them. Doing so gives you the opportunity to hold them accountable and possibly recover various types of damages, such as medical treatment, time missed from work, and pain and suffering.
Many scenarios create the circumstances for a whiplash injury case, including:
- Car accidents, particularly rear-end collisions
- Slip and falls
If you experienced one of these or a similar incident and suffered injuries as a result, our firm has the resources to fight for your right to compensation.
An Attorney from Our Team Will Fight for Your Financial Recovery
When we represent personal injury clients, our team handles every aspect of a case. A lawyer from our team will:
- Notify you as significant developments occur so that you can make the best informed decisions
- Establish the liable party
- Represent you in all discussions regarding the case
- Compile evidence of the accident and your injuries
- Estimate the value of your damages
- Fight tirelessly to win the best possible outcome for you
We also make ourselves available for meetings anywhere on Long Island or around Greater New York City, whether at our office, in your home, or at the hospital. If you have a language preference other than English, our team can speak with you in Bengali, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, or Kannada.
All of our services are available on a contingency basis when you hire us, so you owe nothing unless you receive a settlement or award in your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Let Our Law Firm Review Your Whiplash Injury Case for Free
If you are concerned about whether your injuries will ever fully heal, seek out medical help from a trusted physician as soon as possible then call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. A long-term or permanent neck injury could significantly impact your ability to go about daily life, including returning to work and enjoying time with your loved ones.
You deserve an opportunity to hold the liable party responsible through an injury claim or lawsuit, and an attorney on our team is ready to devote the energy and focus necessary to win the optimal case outcome for you. Call our office for a free, patient, respectful and comprehensive consultation at (516) 932-0400.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form