If an Uber or Lyft driver hit your car and injured you, they may owe you compensation for your damages.
Depending on the nature of the accident and if the driver was logged on to the ridesharing app, your case may go against:
- Your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy (No-Fault Insurance coverage)
- The rideshare company’s insurance company
- The rideshare driver’s personal liability insurance policy,
Navigating the aftermath of a Lyft or Uber accident can be challenging. A car accident lawyer from our firm will do all the work as we guide you through the process.
In This Article
- Understanding the Rideshare Companies’ Complex Insurance Coverage
- Filing a Property Damage Claim After a Collision
- Rideshare Accidents and Personal Injuries
- How a Lawyer Will Help Handle Your Rideshare Accident Claim
- Let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Review Your Case for Free Today
Understanding the Rideshare Companies’ Complex Insurance Coverage
Rideshare drivers must have insurance coverage, but which policy is in effect and how much coverage is available depends on what they were doing when the collision occurred.
Companies like Uber or Lyft provide different types of insurance coverage to their drivers during different situations. In general, the insurance coverage available depends on:
- If the driver was logged on to the app
- Whether the driver was matched with or transporting a rider
According to Uber and Lyft, their insurance coverage includes:
- A contingency policy with coverage that includes $100,000 in bodily injury and $25,000 in property damage per accident as a back-up to the driver’s personal insurance when they are logged on to the app and looking to match with a rider
- A $1,250,000.00 third-party liability policy for accidents when the driver is matched with a rider or has a rider in the vehicle
When the driver is not logged on to the app, they must rely on their own personal insurance coverage for an accident they cause.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Filing a Property Damage Claim After a Collision
In New York, seeking property damages following an accident is very different from pursuing a personal injury case. While injury claims are somewhat limited by no-fault auto insurance and the applicable limits on taking a driver to court, these limits do not apply to property damages. When a driver causes property damage to another vehicle, they are legally liable for that damage.
This means you may have to file a claim against the rideshare driver or the rideshare company to recover compensation to repair or replace your vehicle. If you also suffered injuries, your car accident attorney will likely handle this claim for you as well.
Rideshare Accidents and Personal Injuries
Drivers in New York carry PIP coverage to provide quick coverage of minor to moderate injuries, a portion of their lost wages, and a small daily stipend for related expenses.
If your injuries are, “serious,” as defined under the Insurance Law , you may meet an exception to the state’s no-fault rules and be eligible to pursue additional types of damages, including pain and suffering, through a third-party claim. This is an insurance claim based on the rideshare driver’s policy or the policy provided by the rideshare company.
A lawyer from our firm will help you figure out if you qualify to file a third-party claim and patiently review the process with you. .
How a Lawyer Will Help Handle Your Rideshare Accident Claim
It is often difficult to sort out the insurance coverage in effect and the claims you need to file following a rideshare accident. When you work with a lawyer from our firm, they will:
- Provide you with updates on your case
- Identify the liable party or parties
- Manage all communications with the other parties in your case, including the rideshare company
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Put an appropriate value on the case
- Fight relentlessly to win the best possible case result for you
Our firm works on a contingency fee, meaning we do not ask you to pay attorney’s fees in advance. You do not have to worry about ever paying a legal fee or out of pocket. Our fee is a percentage of your settlement or court award and it is only due if and when we actually win a money recovery for you. If you don’t win your case, you don’t need to pay us attorney’s fees.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Review Your Case for Free Today
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our team of traffic accident lawyers handles claims for rideshare accident victims. We are passionate advocates for the injured and want you to know that you are not alone.
In the tragic event that your loved one lost their life in a car accident, we extend to you our sincere, heartfelt condolences. We stand ready to work tirelessly on your behalf. We consider it a special privilege to represent the surviving family members of Uber or Lyft accidents that result in wrongful death. We are dedicated to winning you the compensation you need and the justice that your departed loved one deserves.
If you are more comfortable, we have multilingual staff members who will speak with you in Spanish, Bengali, Greek, Tamil, or Kannada. Call (516) 932-0400 now for your free consultation and to learn more about what may happen next after an Uber or Lyft driver hit your car.
In addition to phone consultations, our firm is available to meet with you on Long Island or elsewhere in or around New York City to review your case and discuss your options.