You are not required to have a lawyer for a slip and fall accident. Filing a lawsuit, submitting personal injury claims, negotiating a settlement, and representing yourself in court are all things you are able to do without legal representation. However, having a lawyer on your side offers numerous significant advantages especially if you are facing off against a property owner and insurer with their own team of attorneys.
A slip and fall lawyer from our firm will lift the burden of handling your case yourself off your shoulders so you have time to focus on healing. We will work to build a solid case for you and protect your rights.
- You don’t Need a Lawyer for Your Slip and Fall Case, But the Advantages of Hiring One Are Many and Great
- What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
- What Types of Damages Are Recoverable in Slip and Fall Accident Cases?
- Learn More About How a Lawyer Benefits Your Slip and Fall Accident Case Today
You don’t Need a Lawyer for Your Slip and Fall Case, But the Advantages of Hiring One Are Many and Great
You have the right to legal representation, but you also have the right to choose to represent yourself. That means you must handle all the paperwork, the negotiations, the evidence gathering, filing a lawsuit, filing motions with the court, and presenting your case to a jury all on your own. You’ll be doing all of this against the defendant, their insurer, and the team of lawyers representing them.
To say this is an intimidating prospect is an understatement. If you were to have an attorney on your side, all of the aforementioned tasks would be taken care of for you, so you have time to focus your energy elsewhere. When you hire our firm to take your case, your personal injury lawyer will:
- Investigate the accident to determine liability and the cause of your injuries
- Collect evidence to prove negligence and support your compensation claim
- Determine the value of your claim
- Negotiate a settlement with the liable party and their insurer on your behalf
- Complete and file all paperwork
- Meet all deadlines in your case, including the statute of limitations
- Evaluate your case and answer your questions during a free consultation
- Travel to your location on Long Island or the New York metropolitan area if you are unable to come to our office
- Work on a contingency-fee basis so you pay nothing unless we win your case
- File your insurance claim
- Protect your rights and work for your best interests
- Walk you through the legal process
- File a lawsuit
- Represent you in court and present your case to a jury
Your personal injury attorney will handle every aspect of your legal case and we will not allow the liable party and their insurer to take advantage of you. We will treat you with respect, compassion, and professionalism.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Whether you choose to handle your own slip and fall accident case or plan to hire a lawyer to handle it on your behalf, there are several steps you should take after an accident that will help you in building a case for compensation:
- Report the accident: You should immediately report the slip and fall accident to the property owner, manager, or whoever is in charge at the time of the accident. File a report in writing and request a copy for your own records. This creates a paper trail showing that you reported the accident and your injuries.
- Seek medical treatment: You should seek medical care as soon as possible after a slip and fall accident. You might have injuries with symptoms that don’t present right away. This is often the case with some severe injuries such as head and spinal cord injuries. Your doctor will be able to document your injuries and treatments. Plus, your doctor’s records serve as proof of the medical expenses you need compensation for.
- Gather evidence: You should try to collect evidence if you are able to do so. This could include photographs of your injuries and the accident scene, particularly the cause of your fall such as a slippery floor or another hazard. The more documentation of the accident and your injuries that you gather, the better.
- Consider consulting a personal injury attorney: We strongly urge you to consider consulting with a personal injury lawyer after a slip and fall accident. A lawyer from our firm will provide you with legal options to consider. We will also help you file a claim and submit a lawsuit if necessary.
Taking these steps after an accident will give you a good start in building your case. Slip and fall cases are often complex and take time to resolve. Your early efforts could make a tremendous difference in the ultimate outcome.
What Types of Damages Are Recoverable in Slip and Fall Accident Cases?
Not all slip and fall cases are the same, so the value of your case will vary depending on multiple factors such as the severity of your injuries and the cost of your expenses. The cost of your expenses will depend on which damages apply to your case, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Future earning capacity
- Ongoing medical treatment costs
- Home modifications
- Property damage
- Childcare costs
- Household services
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
After calculating the value of the damages that apply to you, our personal injury law firm will determine the amount of compensation to demand.
Learn More About How a Lawyer Benefits Your Slip and Fall Accident Case Today
You don’t need to hire a lawyer, but having a lawyer with experience handling slip and fall accident cases might greatly benefit your case. Your case could be complex or could become complex. Our attorneys have the training to handle difficult cases.
A lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. is ready to talk to you about your case. To learn more about how a lawyer will benefit your case, or to get started with a free consultation, contact us today.