Injuries from car crashes most commonly include whiplash, broken bones, soft tissue damage, back injuries, and more. The injuries occurring from the car accident will depend on a variety of factors, such as the speed the vehicles were traveling at the time of the accident and the road conditions. The actions of individual drivers also play a large role. For example, many cases of distracted driving result in serious injury because the negligent driver fails to slow down or make safety maneuvers until it is too late.
Unfortunately, car crashes are all too common in the United States, with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) reporting that there are around 3 million people who are non fatally injured in car accidents every single year. Besides the physical toll it takes on a motorist’s body, the financial burden can be severe. In fact, in 2017, the cost of medical care and lost productivity due to car crash injuries and fatalities was estimated to be over $75 billion around the country. These are the unseen costs to consider when you ask yourself what injuries you can get from a car crash.
- Common Causes of Car Crashes
- Pursuing Legal Action After Suffering Personal Injuries in a Car Crash
- Get Help from a Car Accident Lawyer Serving the Greater New York Area
Common Causes of Car Crashes
According to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drivers were at fault in around 94% of car crashes, with the environment, the vehicles themselves, and unknown causes making up the other 6% of accidents. When drivers are found to be liable for the accident and the other party is injured, the victim may be entitled to financial compensation for their pain and suffering. As the majority of these accidents are caused by human error, there are many car crash cases like these each year around the country. In many cases, victims will turn to personal injury lawyers to work on their legal case against the parties responsible.
Human negligence on the roadway, as a common cause of car accidents, includes:
- Driving while intoxicated on drugs or alcohol.
- Driving while fatigued or sleepy, which is common among drivers who find themselves on the roadway for long periods of time – such as long-haul truckers.
- Distracted driving, while this is commonly associated with texting and driving, it will include many other variations, such as physical, visual, and mental distractions. These include becoming “zoned out” behind the wheel or arguing with passengers on the road. Further, eating while driving and tuning the radio are common causes of crashes.
- Reckless driving, including speeding, following too closely on purpose, road rage, attempting to make illegal passes, running red lights, and more.
- Crossing the center line, resulting in a head-on collision, which happens most often when a driver falls asleep behind the wheel, is intoxicated, or becomes distracted.
- Driving with broken headlights or taillights.
- Driving too fast for the weather conditions, such as not slowing when it storms or failing to avoid downed debris.
- And more.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-932-0400
Pursuing Legal Action After Suffering Personal Injuries in a Car Crash
If you have been injured in a car crash and you believe another party to be the root cause of the accident, even if you may be partially responsible, you can make a claim or file a lawsuit against the negligent parties to attempt to recoup damages for your pain and suffering and other damages. While you have the right to file these claims by yourself, and some victims do so when they are only seeking a small amount for a minor injury, other victims turn to personal injury lawyers so they can have an experienced, dedicated law firm working to protect their right to compensation. A personal injury lawyer will help you better understand your legal options after a thorough investigation, then they can give you more insight into the type of compensation you will potentially be eligible for.
Get Help from a Car Accident Lawyer Serving the Greater New York Area
When you hire a lawyer at our law firm, you will get an attorney who will take the legal burden off your back while you recover. This includes keeping you appropriately updated on your case, identifying liable parties, communicating and negotiating with all the respective parties involved in the case, gathering evidence to present a compelling case, and determining a value for your case when it comes time for a settlement or potential judgment.
Our law office will proudly assist clients in several different languages, and we are willing to meet them in the New York metropolitan area or on Long Island. If needed, we will call upon experts to testify in your case, including economists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, medical experts, life care planners, and more.
In cases like these, there is a limited time to file under New York’s statute of limitations laws and other important time-deadlines apply as well, so our team would love to speak with you today. It is important to note that the sooner you contact our firm the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible on your be
To learn more about the injuries you can receive in a car crash and your potential for settlement, contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. team member today at (516) 932-0400 for your free consultation.