Home » News » Car Accidents » Boxing Champ Believed To Be Intoxicated At Time Of Crash

Boxing Champ Believed To Be Intoxicated At Time Of Crash

Single-vehicle off-road crashes are the type of crash most responsible for fatalities. In fact, one in five crashes involve only one vehicle and usually, that vehicle departs the roadway. More than 8,000 people die each year in single vehicle, run off-road collision. This accounts for more than 70% of fatal, single vehicle crashes. Crashes where the vehicle stays on the road account for the other 30% of fatalities. Distracted driving, driving while intoxicated, and driving while drowsy are some of the largest contributors to single vehicle crashes of this type. Another reason behind these types of crashes is when a driver swerves to avoid colliding with another vehicle, pedestrian, or animal. 

The NY Post reports that boxing champ Errol Spence, Jr., was intoxicated at the time of a crash that left him with serious injuries. 

Dallas Police have charged 29-year-old Errol Spence, Jr. with a DWI. The charges stem from a crash that occurred in the early morning hours of October 10th

Spence was driving his Ferrari when he drove onto a median, causing the car to flip several times. Spence received serious injuries to his face, including some broken teeth. He was initially in the intensive care unit but was eventually released from the hospital. 

Police said that the vehicle was speeding, but an investigation into how fast the vehicle was going is not warranted. Police said that it was not warranted because of the nature of the crash as a single vehicle crash. 

Other than the DWI, there are no other criminal charges expected in the accident. 

Spence made his boxing debut in November 2012. He competed in the Olympics that year, losing to Russian boxer Andrey Zamkovoy. He currently has a record of 26-0 and has two welterweight world titles.

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...


English English Spanish Spanish
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Click to call
x

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...