Vape Device Explodes In Teen’s Face
Vaping has become a popular way for many smokers to kick the habit. While some teens have begun vaping without prior cigarette use, many proponents of vaping state that it is an effective way to stop smoking for many former smokers. However, tales of things like “popcorn lung” and vapes exploding, causing injuries have been favorite stories of detractors to relay, it turns out that exploding vapes have injured a few people, some of them seriously.
Pix 11 New York reports on a teen’s vape that exploded while he was using it, shattering his jaw.
A 17-year-old was vaping when the device he was using exploded. It ended with his mother driving him 250 miles with a bloody mouth, broken jaw, and hole in his jaw. He trekked from his small town in Nevada to a pediatric hospital in Utah. There, doctors rushed him into surgery and worked to reconstruct and repair his shattered jaw. It is unclear what type of device the teen was using at the time of the accident.
The teen involved in the incident is reported to have said over and over in the emergency room that he was unaware his vape could explode. He was lucky. He healed well. Others weren’t so lucky. In February, a Texas man died when his e-cigarette exploded and sent shrapnel through his carotid artery. About a year ago, a Florida man died when his e-cigarette exploded, lodging shrapnel in his head.
Both of these incidents involved “mechanical mod” devices which use large batteries. One study revealed that there was an estimated 2,000+ e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries between 2015 to 2017 that required emergency room visits.