The state of New York has laws in place to hold doctors and other medical professionals accountable if they make mistakes or act negligently and if they result in harm to their patients. You should be able to trust your medical provider to follow procedures to keep patients safe. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. If you were injured because of medical negligence committed by a medical professional, you could be entitled to receive compensation.
Jericho personal injury lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. have experience handling medical malpractice cases. We understand what it takes for these claims to be successful and work hard to achieve positive outcomes.
- Recoverable Damages in a Medical Malpractice Case
- What Is Considered Medical Malpractice?
- You Have a Limited Time to Act
- Call Us Today For a Free Consultation
Recoverable Damages in a Medical Malpractice Case
A successful medical malpractice lawsuit is complex and requires a sophisticated understanding of medicine and the law. To be awarded damages, you have to prove the medical malpractice caused the damages in some way.
Damages that you can recover for medical malpractice/medical negligence that has caused you to suffer injuries include:
- Medical expenses: This includes any medical bills, surgeries, ambulance or emergency room bills, hospital stays, or medications. This can also include any rehabilitative care you had to undergo, such as occupational therapy or physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If you were out of work while you recovered from your injuries, you can be compensated for the income you lost during that time. This can also include future earnings. If your injuries were so severe that you are unable to return to work at all or in the same capacity, you could be awarded compensation for future earning losses.
- Future expenses: This includes any future expenses you could incur because of the injuries you sustained. This could include future medical bills or assistive devices such as a wheelchair or communication device.
- Pain and suffering: Any physical pain, discomfort, anguish, or inconvenience you had to endure because of your damages can be included in pain and suffering. The monetary value of pain and suffering is subjective, but our attorneys will be able to calculate the value of pain and suffering damages.
In some cases, patients do not survive the injuries they suffered. If you lost a loved one because of medical malpractice, we extend our heartfelt condolences. It is a privilege for the members of our firm to fight for the surviving family members. We are determined to fight for you to receive the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves
For a free legal consultation with a Medical Malpractice lawyer serving Jericho, call 516-932-0400
What Is Considered Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is when a patient is harmed or injured because of the negligent or careless actions of a medical professional. The basic requirements for a medical malpractice claim include: the doctor was negligent or careless (i.e., failed to provide treatment that conformed to the generally accepted standard of care,) their negligence or carelessness caused the injury, and the injury led to specific damages.
Common types of medical malpractice include:
- Surgical errors: If the surgical error occurred because of incompetence, improper planning, poor communication among the surgical team, fatigue, a member of the surgical team was impaired in some manner, or neglect
- Improper fetal monitoring: If the baby or mother suffers from a birth injury due to improper fetal monitoring, it could be considered medical malpractice. Birth injuries could include brachial plexus injuries, brain damage, maternal hemorrhaging, or facial paralysis.
- Failure to diagnose (cancer, heart disease, and other serious conditions): If the doctor did not run the appropriate tests to determine the proper diagnosis of the patient. If the patient could have survived or had less severe complications if the doctor had diagnosed sooner, this could be considered medical malpractice.
- Anesthesia mistakes: Administering too much or too little anesthesia can cause severe negative impacts on the patient. One horrific example of such malpractice would be if not enough anesthesia is administered. This can result in the patient being able to feel pain but not being able to communicate that.
- Prescription mistakes: Any preventable event that led to a prescription error could be considered medical malpractice. Prescription errors could cause hospitalizations, life-threatening situations, or even death.
If you or a loved one suffered through medical malpractice, call us today to preserve your rights. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our medical malpractice lawyers in Jericho have successfully handled very challenging cases based on a wide variety of medical negligence matters.
Our Medical Malpractice Lawyers Are Ready to Represent You
If you are the victim of medical malpractice, you have a right to be compensated for the harm you suffered. Our team of Jericho medical malpractice lawyers is experienced, dedicated, and determined for you to receive compensation.
We could represent you in a lawsuit if the malpractice consists of a failure to properly diagnose an injury or disease, improper fetal monitoring, a surgical error, anesthesia mistake, a prescription error, or other forms of negligence. We could also represent you if medical malpractice resulted in brain damage, paralysis, a birth injury, a shortened life span, or even death. We will work tirelessly to get the compensation that you deserve and need.
Jericho Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
You Have a Limited Time to Act
It is critically important to note that there are strict statutes of limitations that limit the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit. New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214-A has provided deadlines for filing a medical malpractice case and other deadlines may apply, depending upon the specific details of your case. There are other reasons to act promptly for your claim, such as when we must gather time-sensitive evidence.
Therefore, if you have been the victim of medical malpractice/medical negligence, please contact us today to talk about your case. As always, there is no charge for the initial consultation.
Call Us Today For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one have suffered through medical malpractice, contact us online or call today to preserve your rights. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our medical malpractice lawyers in Jericho have handled countless cases based on a wide variety of medical negligence matters.