Our team of dog bite lawyers in Jericho, New York, will fight for the compensation you deserve after an unprovoked attack left you with severe injuries and mounting medical bills. This way, you have the time to concentrate on your recovery while one of our attorneys handles your claim or lawsuit.
We understand that monetary compensation will not return everything you lost in the attack. Our goal is to ensure that you needn’t worry about finances as you rebuild your life—to make sure that you and your family will be taken care of, even if you have not returned to work.
In This Article
- Dog Bite Victims Have a Right to Damages
- How We Handle Dog Bite Cases
- Evidence in Dog Bite Cases
- Get a Free Consultation Today
Dog Bite Victims Have a Right to Damages
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a dog bite attack when its owner did not take proper precautions, you could seek the following types of damages.
Also called noneconomic damages, victims could recover compensation for the emotional and psychological impact of physical injuries if they prove that they have experienced:
- Pain and suffering: The injury and the attack itself have caused physical and psychological anguish. If the injuries worsened a pre-existing condition, you could receive compensation for this deterioration.
- Impaired quality of life: You no longer enjoy the same activities you used to or need help with necessary life tasks you once performed independently.
- Disability: You lose the use of any part of your body to amputation, nerve damage, or loss of range of motion.
- Disfigurement: The injury has left a permanent scar that substantially affects your appearance or range of motion.
Financial, or economic, damages are the other type of compensation for which you could qualify after a dog bite in Jericho, New York. Our team of lawyers will help you fight for:
- Medical expenses: You needed professional care such as surgeries and medications to recover from your injuries. This category also covers psychiatric care if you suffered emotional trauma from the attack.
- Loss of income: The injury prevented you from fulfilling your regular job duties. You had to take time off or spend a few days or weeks working part-time.
- Loss of employment: Your inability to go to work costs you your job, or the injuries made you unable to continue in your previous occupation.
- Other expenses: For example, if you hired someone to cook or clean for you while you could not do so, your claim could cover those costs.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Jericho, call 516-932-0400
How We Handle Dog Bite Cases
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will do everything legally possible to bring your case to a successful conclusion. These are some things we provide every client:
- Regular updates: While we manage every aspect of our clients’ cases, we believe always keeping them in the loop is essential. You will receive prompt updates from our team throughout the case.
- Finding the person responsible: In many dog bite cases, the liable party is the owner. However, we will confirm this is the case for you and ensure there are no other potentially liable parties, such as a person hired to watch the dog.
- Managing all communications: We will relay all messages between you and the liable party’s representatives, including settlement offers. Speaking to them yourself could endanger your ability to collect compensation.
- Searching for evidence: Our team will investigate the circumstances of your accident, collecting proof that the dog attacked you without cause and that the owner failed in their duty to protect you.
- Calculating the value of your damages: It is often especially tricky to determine the financial worth of noneconomic damages. We know how to run these critical calculations.
- Timely resolution: Remember that you have a limited time to file a dog bite lawsuit under New York’s statute of limitations. We will meet the deadline, so you don’t lose your right to recover monetary damages.
Since advancing fees is almost always a concern, you can take comfort in knowing that our firm charges no upfront fees. The initial case review is completely free, and we never bill for attorney’s fees unless our clients have recovered compensation.
Jericho Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Evidence in Dog Bite Cases
How will we prove to an insurance company—and, if necessary, a jury—that the dog owner owes you compensation? The team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., will seek evidence from as many sources as possible, including:
Were the police called to the scene of the incident? Did you go to the doctor for treatment? Both the authorities and your physician should have filed official reports and records related to the attack. These provide crucial details about how the attack happened, the injuries you sustained, and more.
Previous Complaints or Cases
Did the dog have a history of aggressive behavior? Was the dog known to have previously displayed “vicious propensities”? Prior biting events or hostile behavior such as snarling or lunging put the owner on notice that a higher level of care is needed to make sure this dog does not attack anyone.
Making sure the dog is secured behind a locked gate or by a well-controlled leash or even by wearing a muzzle are steps an owner of such a dog should take to prevent harm to others. Evidence of their failure to comply with these responsibilities will strengthen your case against them.
We will speak to anyone who saw the attack happen or witnessed any of the aftermath, such as your medical team, passers-by, or even the dog owner themselves. If they have any photos or other relevant materials, we will collect these as well.
We will also investigate, as indicated, by reaching out to neighbors or delivery people who visit the property to learn about the dog’s history of aggressive behavior and vicious propensities.
As called for, we will recruit the services of a medical professional to examine you and confirm that the injuries require certain treatments or will cause certain symptoms that affect your enjoyment of life. This may be your own treating doctor or a doctor you specifically consult with for a more in-depth long-term prognosis and treatment plan.
If you have any evidence related to the case (e.g., personal photos of the injury), let us know during our initial consultation. However, it is our job to investigate the accident thoroughly and collect evidence. Right now, your focus should be on spending time with family and recovering from your injuries as much as possible.
Get a Free Consultation Today
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., wants to fight for appropriate compensation and hold the at-fault dog owner responsible for their negligence. Call our office at (516) 932-0400 for a free case review if you live or suffered injuries in Jericho, New York.
One of our dog bite lawyers will figure out how best to approach your case. We have a multilingual staff with Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada speakers.