Queens Accident Leaves Teen Pinned, Two Others Injured
While head-on collisions with another vehicle and T-bone crashes cause traumatic and even catastrophic damages and injuries, one in five crashes are single-vehicle crashes. More than 8,000 people a year die in single-vehicle rollover crashes each year in the United States. Run off-road single-vehicle crashes account for approximately 70% of all fatal single-vehicle crashes. The other 30% involve single-vehicle crashes where the vehicle remains on the road. Speeding, driving while intoxicated, and driving drowsy are some of the top causes of single-vehicle crashes. Another major factor in single-vehicle accidents is driver distraction. Younger drivers and older drivers have the highest number of single-vehicle crashes.
NBC New York reports that a 17-year-old was pinned, and 2 other teens were injured in an accident on a Queens street.
The crash occurred Wednesday afternoon at Cook Avenue and 73rd Place in Middle Village.
Neighbors say that the narrow street with no sidewalks and utility poles at the curbs is the site of frequent accidents.
According to police, the three teenagers had just left Christ the King Kids daycare where they all worked. The location of the daycare is less than a mile from the scene of the accident.
Witness Barney Marroney lives on the street where the accident occurred. His surveillance camera began recording when he left the home to see what was the cause of the loud boom that he heard.
Two of the teens walked away from the crash, including the driver. However, a 17-year-old female was trapped inside the vehicle. Marroney attempted to help the girl, holding her head in place and reassuring her that help was on the way.
Neighbors say that they have been trying to get the Department of Transportation to install speed bumps on the street, which is prone to accidents.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.